BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

Copyright Infringement - Plagiarists SUCK! PLEASE READ
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sunny

Copyright Infringement - Plagiarists SUCK! PLEASE READ

Well y'all. this doesn't belong in the poetry forum, but you may want to take a moment to read further.

I recently discovered that a poem of mine had been stolen, word for word, by a MySpace member who claimed she'd written it. Upon further investigation, I discovered there were several other instances of plagiarism/copyright infringement. The most flagrant to date, however, was on a site called butch-femme.com. One member plagerized 4 of my poems. I've alerted the site, but several of you are also absolutely affected (your poems are there), including:

Mairi
Eire
LadyMoon
Xalia
Pale, I think at least one is yours too...

and I suspect more...

Below is the letter I sent to the administration of butch-femme.com. (It's a form letter I've modified from a website and is available to use without copyright infringement issues). Feel free to use my letter modifying as appropriate.

If admins/mods wish to deal with this with the butch-femme site directly, please feel free to contact me as needed.

Also, I do understand if this note needs to be moved to a more appropriate forum, but I do hope it will remain on the board long enough for those affected to take action if they choose to. For some of us, our poems are like our children and we want them back when they are stolen...

Sunny Cool
I learned today that butch-femme.com member “beautywithinalways” has posted several of my poems to your website claiming ownership of them, thereby infringing numerous copyright owned by me (please see her thread at http://www.butch-femme.com/portal/forums/showthread.php?t=27012). The works include “Go Away A Little Closer” (June 20, 2006 at http://melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?p=39926), "So Hot She Burns" (June 6, 2006 at http://www.melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?t=7594), "Yesterday's Promises" (Nov. 1, 2006 at http://www.melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?p=53195), "Shared Vision" (which I co-authored with Fernanda Rocha, Nov, 21, 2006 at http://www.melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?p=55075), all of which I wrote under the pseudonymous name of Sunny and have posted to www.MelsWebs.com . I noticed several other poems posted by the same member that are the work of other members of www.Melswebs.com. I will be notifying the affected members of this issue.

I will contact the administrator of Mels Webs to authorize release to butch-femme.com of my registration information to confirm my membership information. Please note that my email address and other contact information on Mels Webs is consistent with my butch-femme registration address.

I am the author and owner of the fore-mentioned copyrighted material. I have not authorized the use of my poems by “beautywithinalways.” My contact information is:

Lynn _________
(real name, address, phone and email)

The information contained within this message is accurate and under penalty of perjury, I attest that I am the copyright owner of the fore-mentioned poems.

Please forward to me butch-femme.com contact information so that I may enforce my rights as owner of this copyrighted material. Additionally, please remove the infringing work from butch-femme.com immediately. It is my understanding that butch-femme.com reserves the right to take legal action against copyright infringing members and/or terminate their membership. It is my hope that butch-femme.com will take prompt action to help to discourage any future copyright infringement by this member.

Please contact me upon receipt of this notice. Thank you for your prompt attention to this matter.

Sincerely,

Lynn _______
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Last edited by Sunny on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:56 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Sat Mar 10, 2007 10:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Sunny,

An email has been sent to their webmaster in regards to the plagarism. As soon as I get a response from them I shall let all affected members know what is going on.

Hugs

DarkChylde

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:01 am 
smart_cookie

GRRRR! Thanks, Sunny, for letting us know! She stole my poem "One November Night" that I wrote for Nancy Rouse.

--Cookie

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 12:29 am 
Eiregirl

Sunny,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.
I found two of my poems posted by Beautywithinalways on that website.
The longing of the heart and Autumn.

This really pisses me off and if I can ever get that site to let me post something...someone will know just how pissed this Irish b*tc* can get.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:52 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Mairi bheag

Only one of mine, thank heaven, and that was a pastiche of Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious! At least I had the courtesy to acknowledge the original!

Mb
xx

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:42 am 
Sunny

quote:
Originally posted by DarkChyldesKiss:
Sunny,

An email has been sent to their webmaster in regards to the plagarism. As soon as I get a response from them I shall let all affected members know what is going on.

Hugs

DarkChylde

Dark,
Thanks so much for handling this. Hopefully, butch-femme.com will be responsive.
Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:09 pm 
Sunny

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
Sunny,

Thank you very much for bringing this to our attention.
I found two of my poems posted by Beautywithinalways on that website.
The longing of the heart and Autumn.

This really pisses me off and if I can ever get that site to let me post something...someone will know just how pissed this Irish b*tc* can get.

Eire,
Yup, I had a feeling you'd be steaming mad! I joined the site but can't seem to get administrative approval to post - I'm not surprised I suppose...
I'll let you know if I hear anything in response to the notice I filed.
Sunny Cool

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 6:15 pm 
Mairi bheag

I since found a whole lot of others, and I have put the matter into the hands of someone who will call for commercial restitution for the theft of my intellectual property.

Mb
xx

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 8:36 pm 
Sunny

quote:
Originally posted by Mairi bheag:
I since found a whole lot of others, and I have put the matter into the hands of someone who will call for commercial restitution for the theft of my intellectual property.

Mb
xx

Mb,
I can't say that I blame you. I too have found several copyright infringements and am extremely cranky about the whole thing. It's tough getting restitution for copyright infringement cases on the net though - first you have to locate them, then prosecute and win the case and then of course try to recover any monetary award, which, given the caliber of the slime we're dealing with, may be somewhat like trying to get water out of a rock... Nonetheless, I too am seriously cotemplating taking legal action, especially if these website administrators don't respond in a reasonably timely fashion. Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news, but I hope that perhaps we'll be able to reclaim what is ours...
Best to ya!
Sunny Cool

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:08 pm 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Ladies,

The Webmaster from the site has contacted me about the plagarism and are on the case! The member had been banned in February for other issues and they will be glad to delete the posts.

DarkChylde

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:43 pm 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Ladies,

If others than those mentioned on the post have found their poetry plagarized by a member from the other site, please put your name and your poem down so we can keep track of what's going on.

Thank you

Hugs

Darkchylde

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 10:46 pm 
Sunny

quote:
Originally posted by DarkChyldesKiss:
Ladies,

The Webmaster from the site has contacted me about the plagarism and are on the case! The member had been banned in February for other issues and they will be glad to delete the posts.

DarkChylde

Thanks, Dark. Did they give you any idea when we might see that thread of poems removed?

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:17 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Sunny:
quote:
Originally posted by Mairi bheag:

Mb
xx

Mb,
I can't say that I blame you. I too have found several copyright infringements and am extremely cranky about the whole thing. It's tough getting restitution for copyright infringement cases on the net though - first you have to locate them, then prosecute and win the case and then of course try to recover any monetary award, which, given the caliber of the slime we're dealing with, may be somewhat like trying to get water out of a rock... Nonetheless, I too am seriously cotemplating taking legal action, especially if these website administrators don't respond in a reasonably timely fashion. Sorry to have been the bearer of bad news, but I hope that perhaps we'll be able to reclaim what is ours...
Best to ya!
Sunny Cool

I don't really care about monetary awards. First I just want them to acknowledge that they were not the original author of the work(s) if they will do that without hassal and give to charity any monetary gain (if any) they received I would be happy enough to let it go. If they deny even once that they stole what was and still is mine then I do not care how much it costs or how long it takes when (not if) I find them then I will make their life as miserable as the law will allow because I cannot stand for someone taking credit for what someone else did (unless they have that persons permission to do so).

Sunny, DarkChylde

Thank you both very much for all you are doing and all that you have done...it is very much appreciated.

Mairi...as a friend of mine keeps saying...you go girl and kick some ass while your at it Smile

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:29 pm 
Mairi bheag

I just want them to get the message, never mind paying the money! Evil or Very Mad

Mb
xx

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:36 am 
Sunny

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:

I don't really care about monetary awards. First I just want them to acknowledge that they were not the original author of the work(s) if they will do that without hassal and give to charity any monetary gain (if any) they received I would be happy enough to let it go. If they deny even once that they stole what was and still is mine then I do not care how much it costs or how long it takes when (not if) I find them then I will make their life as miserable as the law will allow because I cannot stand for someone taking credit for what someone else did (unless they have that persons permission to do so).

Sunny, DarkChylde

Thank you both very much for all you are doing and all that you have done...it is very much appreciated.

Mairi...as a friend of mine keeps saying...you go girl and kick some ass while your at it Smile

Eiregirl Arrow

Glad to be of assistance, Eire. FYI, both of the two who have responded to me so far regarding infringement of course said something to the effect of "Oops, sorry. I though I put your name on it", despite overt statements in the sites where they published my poems that they had written them themselves. They did remove the poems though...

I guess plagiarists who are so lacking in original thought and/or motivation are not bright enough to realize how transparent they are.

And Mairi, I echo Eire, "Go get 'em!" Please feel free to share any pointers you gather along the way. I'm not taking this lying down either...

Be great!
Sunny Cool

Last edited by Sunny on Tue Mar 13, 2007 12:57 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:45 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: