BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

How do I find out if someone is plaguiarising my writing?

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Clio

How do I find out if someone is plaguiarising my writing?

Mel/Tigger,

How do I find out if someone is plaguiarising my poetry? I have read several of your posts and you seem to be able to find out about these things. I have had one bad experience already, and don't want anymore. I may not be the greatest poet but I still don't want my poetry or ideas stolen.

I would hate to see Mel close down this forum because of plaguiarising. Maybe you can teach us how to check for possible plaguiarising. Oh dear, I feel very insecure about posting my work here.

Worried, hope you can help.

Clio

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:32 am 
Tigger
Site Admin

Well Clio...as you said you have had one bad experience already with plaguiarism.

It does not matter where you post your work, or whom you share it with there is always that risk. It is your copywrite and if you are able to catch others plaguiarising your work, then you are able to take legal action against them.

It is a risk we all have to take and if you don't want to be part of the community then thats up to you, it can happen to you any where on the web, but you can try checking by searching on google using the poem title.

We found Mel's work by accident searching on google.

Last edited by Tigger on Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:36 pm 
melons
Site Admin

Hi Clio,

If you use google and search for the title of your poem or for key phrases in it, then google may show you other poems with similar titles that you can then go and check out.

My stories, art and poetry were plaguiarised on one site and I had it all removed from there, then it was done again. You have to keep checking and searching on google though if you are that worried about it and it is very time consuming to do all the time.

I found it just by chance, when I was checking my sites listings in google and it gave me a strange result. Remember also, if someone plaguiarises your work from this site then that is not my responsibility to sort out, but down to you as the author, I state quite clearly that copywrite remains with the author on this site. Additionally, If any posts on melswebs are found to breech copywrite then they will be removed.

Anyway, welcome to the site and all the best,

Mel Very Happy

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:46 pm 
realwoman

Hi Ladies

We just found that sexychynadoll has been posting plagiarised poetry from www.gaypoetry.com. THis member was deleted, together with all her posts...

However, we do suggest that everyone who is posting poetry here on Mels, check their poems every so often with the method described above by Mel, to see if your poems are not plagiarised on some other site.

Lets try to identify these thiefs, and please let us know if any poem posted here seems familiar to you...

Thanks a lot for helping to keep our work safe!!

~real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:37 pm 
pharos

Also, if someone keeps a blog with their work, they can install this link on their page:

http://www.copyscape.com/

and occasionally scan their work on the Net. It's very effective and the logo demonstrated after installing: PAGE PROTECTED BY COPYSCAPE. DO NOT COPY is a very nice BEWARE OF DOG sign for potential plagiarists.

Pharos

Post Thu Jul 30, 2009 3:55 am 
smart_cookie

There's no "u" in "plagiarize. Not to split hairs. On a poetry board.

Post Sun Aug 02, 2009 2:59 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: