BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

What motivates you to write?

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Sunny

What motivates you to write?

Dance made a statement in the previous thread that "since the motivation to write is to articulate the world inside and out. In some ways it is a form of self validation since I hold so much back verbally in normal conversation. I want to define and indentify things, I want to validate them ". I now find myself wondering what motivates others to write.

Mine comes more from a processing perspective, I think. As I try to make sense of something I struggle sometimes to make the emotional connection, tending instead to intellectualize the hell out of it.. I've discovered that with poetry as I search for the words to describe, I go through my vocabulary inventory seeking the perfect word that fits what I'm feeling. I play with the words, feel them, try them on for fit and voila! I suddenly make a connection with feelings that had previously eluded me. Most of my poems are the equivilent of about 10 hours of therapy Laughing So I suppose I write poetry to just feel instead of analyzing. It knocks down my walls and helps my softer side to surface.

Any thougts?

Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Sun Sep 10, 2006 3:13 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Sunny,

What motivates me in writing...

hmmm

been thinking about it for about ten minutes now...

fifteen...

No idea...I just enjoy writing and expressing myself with poetry.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 4:42 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Fernanda.F.Rocha

I came here 2 or 3 times to try to answer this ...nothing came to my mind...have no idea why...but then I remembered what first motivated to write ...was my beautiful Portuguese teatcher....lol....so I started to write my works in poetry for her to read Embarassed and we becames friends because of it. Was she who gave me "The White Book" to write there my poems.
Thats a very sweet memory for me Smile

Post Mon Sep 18, 2006 3:47 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
BdeCaunteton

www[dot]bdecauntetonspoetry[dot]webs[dot]com

Last edited by BdeCaunteton on Sat Sep 26, 2020 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 7:45 pm 
fortheloveofagood...
Site Admin

what motivates me to write

- to create a space to express my feeling
- to find answers, sometimes by the end of the poem, i have a resolution
- to document an experience, an idea, a train of thought
- to create something outside of myself that i can look at, share
- to cheer myself up
- to validate myself or another's experience
- to play with words, meaning, for the enjoyment of creating
- to articulate the pictures in my head
- to make a point
- to communicate

mostly, i'm not aware of being motivated, it's lack of choice, i just write, because i'm fit to burst, tho' im less like that nowadays and am more consciour of how i am creating a poem, but sometimes, it's just splat, and then i tidy it up afterwards!

Very Happy
Kx

'don't hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement'

~peace comes from knowing only love is real~

Post Wed Mar 14, 2007 8:46 pm 
pharos

edit

Last edited by pharos on Sat Aug 29, 2009 5:42 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 12:59 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

Wonderful question! I think I remember when Dance originally posted that thread.

My answer is fairly simple: social (in)justice motivates me to write. I know (on most days) I cannot change the world--sometimes I forget this--but I do know that if I write a poem and share it with other people, in either written or spoken form, I am likely to find others who identify with what I have written. Sometimes they have ideas about how to tackle an issue; sometimes it's just a comfort to know that other people think about the same issues that I do. So I guess you could say, I write to share my thoughts, and hopefully though that process, to connect with other people.

~Eilidh

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 3:51 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

I agree, wonderful question.

I write. almost exclusively, to express personal feelings of either great pain or great joy as I have a lot of difficulty articulating these 'out of my mouth'. Over the years the frustration of not being able to convey exactly what I mean, and often being ridiculed for it, had caused me to shut down emotionally to avoid just that situation.

When my entire world was turned inside out some two years ago it was the outlet of being able to read and ask questions on Mels that stopped me from literaly bursting from all the supressed emotions I held inside. And the poetry just began to 'happen', I couldn't have stopped it if I tried, it often arrives almost fully formed and I have to scramble to put down on paper what is in my head. I can not decide to sit down and write, the words come when they want to, almost I think like a safety valve.

HugZ, Noni

Post Thu Jul 23, 2009 11:07 pm 
pharos

quote:
Originally posted by Eilidh:
My answer is fairly simple: social (in)justice motivates me to write.

I think that's a great reason to write, Eil. Smile

Pharos

Post Fri Jul 24, 2009 1:16 am 
Eilidh
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by pharos:
quote:
Originally posted by Eilidh:
My answer is fairly simple: social (in)justice motivates me to write.

I think that's a great reason to write, Eil. Smile

Thanks, Pharos.
If I didn't write, I'd probably explode from trying to understand why the world is the way it is instead of trying to simply understand what is.

~Eilidh

Post Sat Jul 25, 2009 4:10 am 
EverydayAngelKarie

my motivation to write is everyday life. the simple things. the things i dont want to admit to everyone, but can for some reason admit through writing. the things i make up in my head that i think would be cool in a movie or some kind of short film. music also motivates me to write. this forum motivates me to write as well. i want to write now. might go do that. Smile

love for all,

EDA

Post Sun Jul 26, 2009 10:24 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: