BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

Help!

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
FByD

Help!

I need to write a poem that includes the names of all 50 states and I have no clue where to start. I want it to be clever but right now nothing clever is coming to me. Any ideas would be appreciated, thank you. Confused

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:45 am 
Eiregirl

FByD,

A poem that includes all 50 states of the United States hmmmm a wonderful Idea.

In thinking about this for a few moments I thought perhaps you could do something similar to John Wayne’s “America, why I love her” but that could be hard to do using all 50 states and could end up being very very long. No matter how you write it is going to be a rather long poem.

Another idea comes to mind. This idea will lead to a LONG poem. Use the states name and include something about the state such as the state motto, the state bird, the states nickname or the state tree etc. within the same couple of lines. You could say something witty about the state instead of using one of those items such as saying “Montana…where the snow falls in July beneath the big sky”. Use one to four lines per state to do this…you could also have what you say about one state lead into the next state you are going to talk about such as the following.

Washington is the apple of my eye
Its evergreens rise high into the big sky
Of Montana where the snow falls in July

Here you have Washington whose state fruit is the apple and it is also called the evergreen state. Big sky is a reference to one of Montana’s state motto’s (the other is the “Treasure State”). Montana is also known for being cold and having lots of snow (whether true or not it is known for it) but saying that it has snow in July may be pushing it but so what…it is suppose to be a clever little…ummm LONG poem.

Hmmm I kind of like this idea…

“Washington is the apple of my eye
Its evergreens rise high into the big sky
Of Montana where the snow falls in July”

I might have to try it myself…if you do not mind or perhaps use different countries...hmmm wonderful idea Question

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 7:41 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
FByD

That's a good idea! Now if someone will just fill in the rest of the states Laughing just kidding. I'm going to try it that way but including all 50 of them is going to be hard. By all means, try it and when you're done I want to read! Smile Thank you for your help.

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:23 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: