BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> General board

Is there a place for visual poetry?

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
SharayaKai

Is there a place for visual poetry?

I've seen galleries, forums for audio, and the written word alone... Where would I post a combination of visual and written?

I uploaded to a gallery... hopefully that was the right thing to do.

Post Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:32 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Re: Is there a place for visual poetry?

quote:
Originally posted by SharayaKai:
I've seen galleries, forums for audio, and the written word alone... Where would I post a combination of visual and written?

I uploaded to a gallery... hopefully that was the right thing to do.

SharayaKai,

That would depend on the kind of visual you are refering to.

If you mean pictures and/or drawings then yes you can do that as others have done it. Here is how (taken from the FAQ page)

"Images can indeed be shown in your posts. However, there is no facility at present for uploading images directly to this board. Therefore you must link to an image stored on a publicly accessible web server, e.g. http://www.some-unknown-place.net/my-picture.gif. You cannot link to pictures stored on your own PC (unless it is a publicly accessible server) nor to images stored behind authentication mechanisms such as Hotmail or Yahoo mailboxes, password-protected sites, etc. To display the image use either the BBCode [img] tag or appropriate HTML (if allowed)." By the use the BBCode.

Though I have never done it there are many who have and perhaps one of them will stop by and explain it better.

Hugs to you and welcome to mels
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
smart_cookie

What about concrete poetry? I don't suppose there's a way...?

Post Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:38 am 
realwoman

Ladies

Pictures or artwork combining words and images can be posted in the gallery, and some members (pale i think) have posted wonderful stuff over there...

Posting pictures here, on the poetry boards, creates a bit of a problem, as the files are often very big, and it does not only cause the page to take forever to load, it also uses a lot of space on the database, and we therefore do not encourage it, as it means that we will have to start taking poems and stuff off when the database exceed the allowed maximum size

As to concrete poetry...i must say, u stumped me cookie... i assume that it refers to poems written in concrete? If that is the case, take a picture, and upload to the gallery as well

Happy writing!

hugs,
~real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 8:35 am 
smart_cookie

haha, no, Real, concrete poetry is poetry that looks like what it says. For example, I created one in which the word "caterpillar" is written with a hump in the middle, like a crawling caterpillar, and the word was poised on a branch I had drawn. So you see, the poem physically looked like what it said. Or,

......F...............................A...............................L.........L...............

............................I........................N.........................G.................

.......L.........E.............A.......................V.......E..........................S....

........O.......N...................T.........H................E.................................

..B....................R...................E................E........Z..........E.................

See? (if mels wouldn't line everything up, I wouldn't have added the dots, and it would look better)
--Cookie

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:08 am 
realwoman

~grins, oh, u mean something like this, cooks:

........................ F ............................... A ............................... L ......... L

................................................... I ........................ N ......................... G

............................ L ......... E ............. A ...................... V ....... E ....................... S

......................... O ....... N ................... T ......... H ............. E

...................... B .................... R ................... E ................ E ........ Z .......... E

Hawn taught us how to do it, and the trick is to still do the dots, but to put [color = gainsboro] with no spaces around the = sign before the dots, and [ / color ], again without spaces, after the dots.

Although it is a pain in the ass, it does get the desired effect, like here: http://www.melswebs.com/poetryboards/viewtopic.php?t=5727&highlight=

Happy dotting!

Hugs,
~real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Tue Mar 13, 2007 4:00 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: