poetry block, lesbian, block, writers block, poetic block, lesbian poetry block, inspiration, poetic inspiration, poetry inspiration,
poem inspiration, lesbian writers block, lesbian inspiration, poety generators, poem generators, poem generator, poetry generator poetry block, lesbian, block, writers block, poetic block, lesbian poetry block, inspiration, poetic inspiration, poetry inspiration,
poem inspiration, lesbian writers block, lesbian inspiration, poety generators, poem generators, poem generator, poetry generator poetry block, lesbian, block, writers block, poetic block, lesbian poetry block, inspiration, poetic inspiration, poetry inspiration,
poem inspiration, lesbian writers block, lesbian inspiration, poety generators, poem generators, poem generator, poetry generator
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetry block

My problem is "The Opposition"

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Mairi bheag

My problem is "The Opposition"

I know I'm too ready to give advice to others who are sufering from the dreaded block. But I have to confess to suffering from it very badly myself. The things you see on this forum and the stories forum bearing my name are but little squeezings from a bloated belly! (ugh!)

My main problem is this:

People tell me I should try to get my material published. I tell them "Look at the opposition". I don't mean you , sisters - you are a constant source of inspiration and hope to me. I mean the established poets out there. When people tell me my verse is good, I pick up a book and read them something by W B Yeats, or Andrew Marvell's "To His Coy Mistress" (as I like to call it - Andree Marvell's "To Her Coy Mistress"!), and I say, "There - that is the level at which poetry has to be pitched to succeed. I would be kidding myself to say that I am the equal of these writers!"

Now, I probably do not want a series of hugs and "Sure you are, honey - you're just as good as they are". But if anyone has a cure for the tendency to measure oneself against the likes of Shakespeare, I would be interested to hear it.

Mb

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 6:19 am 
dreammereal

Hi Mairi,

well, I have this problem, I think, of measuring myself 'against the opposition' and being blocked.

I haven't written much for several months, too many changes both internally and externally. This doesn't bother me, since there have always been times like this. Sometimes I can write in the midst of something but sometimes it's only later that I can write it; it has to permeate my body, reach the bone marrow or something, particularly difficult events with external pressures.

Part of the trouble, too, can sometimes be the muse, in the sense that the muse is a presence of beauty embodied in another and that one is inspired to write her and of her. But it's a one way trajectory, she doesn't write back (maybe she has writer's block), so the writer may feel that all the inspiration is coming from her, when it is in fact welling up and pouring out of herself. I remember this woman that I love saying a couple of years ago when I wrote poems to her that I was the beauty within them. I felt the beauty was all in her. In that sense, if you have a muse,you have only to beiieve in your own feelings and write out of them, it's a gift, not an exchange. When I was writing these poems to this woman, she often didn't have much to say! Though that's changed, now she's full of songs, and I;m quiet, but it would be impossible to have two muses in the house. So my advice would be to not look to the opposition whether it's Shakespeare or not, or not to look for a response from the muse but to feel the certainty of your own feelings and let them pour out upon the air.

Though you might already know this. My own writer's block at the moment is a combination of all of these events which will take time to settle in and being astonished by the beauty pouring from another, listening seems to be my necessity at the moment,

dreammereal

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 9:04 am 
Mairi bheag

quote:
Originally posted by dreammereal:
In that sense, if you have a muse,you have only to believe in your own feelings and write out of them, it's a gift, not an exchange.

Ah! Thanks, dear friend. I could write another whole chapter about this subject. I have a muse, and often I write for her without asking anything in exchange. What I draw from her is the inspiration and impetus to write in the first place, and that's no problem - in fact it feels wonderful to have this inspiration. But for all I know, this embarrasses the heck out of her, as she never volunteered for the position of my muse! She writes too, with passion and with power - but that is the product of her own brilliance and not necessarily the slightest bit to do with me.

My problem remains that I look at Mozart and know that I am Salieri!

Thanks, ever such a lot for answering this gripe of mine.

Mb
xx

Post Sun Apr 17, 2005 12:33 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Mairi,

...of course, even in your posting responses you have a style all your own. Now didn't that feel like a run on sentence lol....smile. Writing can be a wacky thing. While I can apprechiate, sometimes, my poetry, I remain at times slightly envious of writers who have such juice in details, squeezing it all over the reader. This is the case of...it's not in the differences of works or styles or even talents... but learning to diffuse my reactionary expectations and thoughts of my own writings. I can plainly sometimes suck at writing poetry, and then at times write a few I think are notable of my growth within it. Perception, perception...the carving tool of everything.

Now the first line in this post should read.... I admire your attention to detail and...

(see, writing is a wacky thing)

Dance~

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 5:43 pm 
chame70

The Opposition?

Mairi,
Why would we want to "cure ourselves" of wanting to measure ourselves aginst the GREAT ONES. On the contrary, by measuring ourselves against the great ones we rise one more notch to be closer to them. he higher the goal we set for ourselves, the more we strive to get there.
You are a great writer, an inspiration to many I'm sure just as the Great Ones are an inspiration to you. You know the levels that can be reached and you go for it!
Hugs
chame

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:27 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Mairi bheag

Yes, Dance. I'm sorry to be the one to tell you that James Joyce has already used that trick of ending something with the beginning! Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

I now have a very interesting picture in my head, of myself squeezing juice all over the readers. Embarassed I think you had better check out my "Pick Raspberries" in one of the other sections - then we can discuss juice!

Hey - I hear someone is coming to see you!

Mb
xx

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 6:29 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Mairi,

James Joyce??? Wow I am thinking like a writer then...scaryyyyyyyyyy

and YES Tomorrow!!! Mumbles (I knew I should not have fired the maid).

Razz

Hugs

Dance~

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:32 pm 
Mairi bheag

Re: The Opposition?

quote:
Originally posted by chame70:
Mairi,
Why would we want to "cure ourselves" of wanting to measure ourselves aginst the GREAT ONES. On the contrary, by measuring ourselves against the great ones we rise one more notch to be closer to them. he higher the goal we set for ourselves, the more we strive to get there.
You are a great writer, an inspiration to many I'm sure just as the Great Ones are an inspiration to you. You know the levels that can be reached and you go for it!
Hugs
chame

Sorry for the slow reply chame70 - I have been dashing aound preparing for a trip. Thanks for those very kind words. I think that is the first time I have ever been called a "great writer" ! Wow! Sometimes I think I would settle for being a published writer - it's small comfort to know that I might be a best seller when I'm pushing up daisies!

OK, you've convinced me. Bring it on, Yeats! Bring it on, Marvell! Is that the best you can do? Laughing Laughing

Mb
xx

Post Thu Apr 21, 2005 7:39 pm 
Shnc

I know I'm late getting in this conversation but......

What if the people we consider "great" had decided not to publish or share thier works because of the ones that came before them. You just never know till you try. It's also better to try and fail than to never do it and wonder "what if" for the rest of your life.

That's just my 2cents

~stepping down from soap box~ Very Happy

Post Sat Jan 21, 2006 5:51 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Forgottenangel1764

*Quickly claiming her own soap box*

quote:
Originally posted by Shnc:
I know I'm late getting in this conversation but......

What if the people we consider "great" had decided not to publish or share thier works because of the ones that came before them. You just never know till you try. It's also better to try and fail than to never do it and wonder "what if" for the rest of your life.

That's just my 2cents

~stepping down from soap box~ Very Happy

I have to agree with Shnc there. .how do you ever know unless you try. .it's like never telling someone how you feel about them and never knowing if they would have given you the time of day. Who am I to talk. .I do it myself. .I compare and contrast against greatness everyday. My ever constant conclusion. .no not yet. .not good enough. I want to be as GREAT. .but in my own way. I think that's the biggest battle. Instead of being great like a favorite author. .I would want to be great as a favorite author. The question is how do you get to that point?

Post Sun Feb 26, 2006 6:05 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

Re: My problem is "The Opposition"

quote:
Originally posted by Mairi bheag:

Now, I probably do not want a series of hugs and "Sure you are, honey - you're just as good as they are". But if anyone has a cure for the tendency to measure oneself against the likes of Shakespeare, I would be interested to hear it.

Mb

i don't suppose that it makes any difference to you that i never liked shakespeare...the poetry and stories on this site are much more appealling to me...lol...maybe i just have sand in my brain! Very Happy

Post Wed Oct 11, 2006 6:02 pm 
Logoš

Cure?

lol, Mairi. If you ever find one, PLEASE let me know what it is!

Post Sat Nov 11, 2006 6:14 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: