lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Inspire (#37 Rispetto)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Inspire (#37 Rispetto)

Rispetto
A Rispetto is an Italian form of poetry with two rhyming quatrains and a strict meter.

Structure…
The meter is usually iambic tetrameter with a rhyme scheme of abab ccdd other variations of this can be used most notably with the last stanza.

Iambic tetrameter
xxxxxxxa
xxxxxxxb
xxxxxxxa
xxxxxxxb

xxxxxxxc
xxxxxxxc
xxxxxxxd
xxxxxxxd

Another form of Rispetto is the Heroic Rispetto which is written in Iambic pentameter. There have also been Rispetto written using hendecasyllabic lines both of these forms usually feature the same rhyme scheme as above.

Hendecasyllabic
xxxxxxxxxxa
xxxxxxxxxxb
xxxxxxxxxxa
xxxxxxxxxxb

xxxxxxxxxxc
xxxxxxxxxxc
xxxxxxxxxxd
xxxxxxxxxxd

Terms…
Iambic – as we have discussed before iambic is a common metrical “foot” in poetry which consists of syllables (a single foot). A short (unaccented) syllable followed by a long (accented) syllable such as with the word “diverge” “di-verge” di being the short (unaccented) syllable and verge being the long (accented) syllable this is a single iambic foot.

NOTE – There are other terms for different “foot” measurements used in poetry that measure three and four or more syllables as a single “foot”.

Tetrameter – is a metrical measurement of poetic verse which consists of four metrical feet. For example the word “diverge” is one Iambic foot
Pentameter – is a metrical measurement that consists of five metrical feet
Hendecasyllabic – this type of verse was used a lot by the Roman poet Catullus. (The simple definition is “a verse of eleven syllables”). Hendecasyllabic is a quantitative metre with the basic pattern for a Rispetto of (spondee, dactyl, trochee, trochee, trochee) for a single line of verse. Now you are probably saying…what the hell are you talking about! In order to not confuse you to much this is the only example (at this time) of a hendecasyllabic verse I am going to give…are there others? Yes but this is the only one you are getting at this time. As I said, a single line of hendecasyllabic verse consists of a “spondee” which is two long (accented) syllables followed by a dactyl which is a long (accented) syllable and two short (unaccented) syllables followed by three trochee’s each of which contain a long (accented) syllable and a short (unaccented) syllable. This gives us a total of eleven syllables. For a better idea of what this would look like here is a diagram…A will represent an accented syllable and U will represent an unaccented syllable.
AA(spondee) AUU(dactyl) AU(trochee) AU(trochee) AU(trochee)

NOTE – as always if you would like a further explanation or more information on anything discussed here all you have to do is ask and I will be more than happy to provide further more detailed information.

History…
The Rispetto is an Italian form particularly a Tuscan folk verse form and a version of strambotto. In its earliest form the rhyme scheme was usually abab abcc. Later, the scheme abab ccdd became more prominent, and other variations can also be found. The form was devised from my best estimates around the thirteenth to fourteenth centuries and reached its most prominent period in the fifteenth century with poets such as Angelo Poliziano and Lorenzo de Medici.

Now my poem…

Inspire

Let us stimulate the imagination
Of our children in every possible way
Give them the desire and inspiration
Engage them in conversation every day

Resurrect a good tale from legends past
The stories that will for generations last
Tell them the history before it long fades
Tell them stories they will pass on for decades

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 7:35 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Sunny

Eire,
Delightfully inspiring poem Exclamation And yes, you read my mind. I was saying "What the hell are you talking about?" Those exact words! I did read and thank you for shedding more light on "Hendecasyllabic " though I can't pronounce it Wink I really like the addition of the "Terms" section in your posts. Thanks so much Arrow

Sunny Cool
All poems posted by Sunny: ©2006 - 2007 Sunny (UN: Sunny at melswebs.com). All rights reserved. Any unauthorized reproduction is strictly prohibited. In other words, if you want to copy it, you need to get Sunny’s permission first.

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 10:30 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Sunny,

Thank you very much.

Over a period of time I am going to be going back and editing all of the posts to add a "Terms" section to each of them and maybe clean up the format to some of the earlier posts since over the course of doing this section things have slowly evolved to where a basic format has taken shape.

Thank you again Smile

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:17 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: