lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Celtic Goddess (#24 Sesta Rima)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Debra

Celtic Goddess (#24 Sesta Rima)

What is a Sesta Rima?
The sesta rima is a six-lined stanza containing a quatrain and a couplet written in iambic pentameter with a rhyme scheme of ababcc.

Structure…
As stated above there is a rhyme scheme of ababcc. The first and third lines rhyme with each other. The second and fourth lines rhyme with each other and lastly the fifth and sixth lines rhyme with each other.
Each line is composed in iambic pentameter which we have discussed a few times already but I will give a little refresher of what iambic pentameter is.

Iambic meter is one of the most common (if not the most common) metrical forms used in English poetic verse and the poetic verse of several other languages as well. It consists of two syllables, a short or unaccented syllable followed by a long or accented syllable such as in the word DETAIN de (short unaccented) tain (long accented) or as in a combination of words such as THE MOTE the (short unaccented) mote (long accented). Either of those examples would be considered one iambic foot. A combination of five (penta) iambic feet is an iambic pentameter. If you want more examples or more information of iambic pentameter let me know and I will be more than happy to provide them for you.

So for a sesta rima you have a six line rhyming poem with each line being written in iambic pentameter.

A little history…
“Venus and Adonis” was Shakespeare’s first published work and it contained 199 stanza’s of sesta rima.

Now Deb will do the rest.

Evee has been trying to get me to write a poem and post it and i finally gave in and told her I would write one for the forms of poems thing if she would write everything else for me except the poem.
I picked this form to use because the name looked cool to me and because it was short. I did not know i was going to need a poetry lesson to write it but it was enjoyable and I hope it expresses some of how I feel about one of the most important people in my life. I know the poem does not perfectly fit iambic pentameter at least as I understand it but I think it is close enough and if nothing else it is pentameter or at least i think it is. Well anyway if you want to write a sesta rima read what Evee wrote on how to write one and give it a try just don’t use mine as an example because i'm not sure it is exactly correct. Rolling Eyes

My Celtic Goddess

A Celtic Goddess resting in my arms
Her long auburn hair caressing my skin
I hear her soft voice whispering her charms
I hear her words and my love she did win
Lovely deep blue pools look into my eyes
My heart is hers, in her arms my soul flies

Post Tue May 16, 2006 5:18 am 
ghost

Nice one, Debra!

your lady has done some wonderful work here giving us stuff to work with (not that i have, i am waaay too undisciplined)

and if i were you, i would write some more!

regards
ghost

Post Tue May 16, 2006 5:25 am 
Eiregirl

Embarassed

Beautiful my love

Arrow Arrow Arrow

Post Wed May 17, 2006 3:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
irisheyes

Debra
Beautiful
I agree with everything Ghost said.
Hugs and best wishes to both of you
Hope to see you post again
Irisheyes Smile

- Crystal Middlemas

Post Wed May 17, 2006 9:46 am 
animaanna

Beautiful! You should write more.
Hugs
J

Post Thu May 25, 2006 12:52 am 
Debra

Thank you all so very much for your sweet responses

ghost Evee is a wonderful wonderful woman that i love more than there are words to say.

irisheyes thanks a lot and i'm very sorry about your mom.

animaanna thnk you and i will try to write more Evee is always trying to get me to write and maybe i will start.

Thank all of you again for the responses.

Debra

Post Wed Jun 07, 2006 2:48 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: