lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
poem book, book of poetry, rhyme, rhymes, lesbian poetry, lesbian poem, lesbian poems, lesbian poetry book, lesbian poem book, 
lesbian book of poems, lesbian book of poetry, lesbian poetry submission, lesbian publication, lesbian poem publication, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook lesbian, poetry, poetry submission, submission, poem submission, submit poetry, submit poem, poetry book, book, book of poems, 
publication, poem publication, poetry publication, ebook of lesbian poetry, lesbian poetry ebook
BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Poetic Form and Technique

Define true love (#23 Quatern)

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

Define true love (#23 Quatern)

What is a quatern?
A quatern is a sixteen line French poetic form made up of four quatrains and is similar to the kyrielle.

Structure…
The sixteen lines are broken down into four stanza’s (quatrains) and each stanza contains a refrain line which is the first line of the first stanza. This line will be repeated in the second line of the second stanza, the third line of the third stanza, the fourth line of the fourth stanza. There are eight syllables per line. It does not have to be iambic or follow a set rhyme but if you want you can make it iambic and/or rhyme if you choose to do so.

The set structure of a quatern is four four line stanza’s of eight syllables per line with a refrain line. The rest is up to you.

First stanza
Line 1…8 syllables
Line 2…8 syllables
Line 3…8 syllables
Line 4…8 syllables

Second stanza
Line 1…8 syllables
Line 2…repeat line 1 from first stanza
Line 3…8 syllables
Line 4…8 syllables

Third stanza
Line 1…8 syllables
Line 2…8 syllables
Line 3…repeat line 1 from first stanza
Line 4…8 syllables

Fourth stanza
Line 1…8 syllables
Line 2…8 syllables
Line 3…8 syllables
Line 4…repeat line 1 from first stanza

History…
Quatern is Latin for “four at a time”. (so a dictionary told me…giggle) To the best of my knowledge (and from any reference I can find) this form was developed toward the end of the Middle Ages.

Now my poem…

Define true love

Can one truly define true love?
What is it that makes a true love?
Is it two souls made into one?
Is it two hearts beating as one?

From the first touch two became one
From the touch of a lovers soul
Two souls there were, now there is one

Can you hear two hearts, or just one?
Two hearts in love beating as one
There were two hearts, now there is one

From the touch of her soul, I know
From the sound of her heart, I know
Words cannot define it for me

Post Tue May 09, 2006 2:19 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: