BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT STORY FORUM GENERAL FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

Poetry Forum Index -> Help Tips and Forum Issues....

Questions about the poetry generators

LifeVita6
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Clio

Questions about the poetry generators

Hi,

Ditto what Tigger said. This forum has inspired me to edit some of my poems and write more, thanks.

I know little about forums and less about poem generators. Will you be using all of our poems in the poem generators? If the poem generators are for helping people with writers block then I have a concern. Won't that give the readers permission in a way to copy ideas and even lines?

People with writers block should read the poetry of their favorite poets, and their favorite forms for inspiration. Another way is to learn new poetic forms of writing poetry to discipline and to improve your skills.

I had a poetry pen pal until I learned that he was using my ideas and some of my lines to write his poems. I later learned that this was a habit of his from one of his X girlfriends. I was pretty heart broken over this.

Clio

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 11:04 am 
melons
Site Admin

Hi Clio,

to say I am a little offended by your comments would actually be an understatement!

Let me set the record straight here, the only poems that have been included in the poetry generators are my own poems and that of a dear friend known as 'Tigger' who contributed 2 or 3 poems. So for instance, you are likely to see lines reminiscent mainly of my own poetry, such as
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Your head resting against me all the night long,

or

quote:
As I stroke you once more, with tender caress

etc....so I am giving people permission to use my ideas or lines from my poetry as ideas only.

Tigger can tell you I spent many hours (loads and loads!) even weeks/months compiling the sentences for the generators, thinking up and typing each sentence one at a time, mixing them with single words from the dictionary (which I am certain is not Plaguiarism!) such as 'tantric,' 'loving,' 'love,' 'sensually,' 'enchanting,' 'tempting,' 'teasing'....
to give over 1100 phrases for thr freeverselove generator (as an example).

Then painstakingly adding other single words to each to make new phrases, such as 'tantric beat,' 'loving you,' 'sensually aroused,' 'tempting me,' or 'teasing you,' and then adding further words for other sentences, such as 'tantric heart beat,' 'loving you dearly,' 'so sensually aroused,' 'tempting me softly,' or'teasing you slowly.'

Each different 'build' of words was added as a separate line of code, in some instances making full line sentences or inspiring my own creativity, to give lines such as (using the above examples...which are coming off the top of my head!)...'tantric heart beat resonating in my bosom,' 'loving you dearly, sweet lady of mine,' 'so sensually aroused as electric sparks leapt through my veins,' 'tempting me softly with your feather touch,' or teasing you slowly to submission.'

So, you can see how easy it is to build up lines of text for inclusion in a poetry generator, here i have made up at least 24 'phrases.' If they bear any relation to other sentences elsewhere then it is purely by chance, but no other poets works have been included in the poetry generators anywhere and never will be. Remember also, the poetry generator throws out a set number of lines of text and each line is randomly drawn from over 1100 phrases (freeverselove), so the combinations available are very large. If you want me to give you the statistics on the permutations and combinations available, then I will go away and work them out for you. For the nature generator the number of different possible permutations and combinations is actually in the multi-millions due to the more intricate coding I used!

Remember, creativity can come from any source, I am highly creative (when not working on the webs!) and have many thoughts. So, another example, if I think of the sea then I can come up with many loving, sensual or other phrases to do with the sea, such as 'the sea rolls south as I kiss you under the moonlight' or 'a soft sea breeze rises in a flurry to caress your golden hair,' 'moonlight rests its silvery hand upon your satin shoulders,' or the 'the sea whispers softly calling me to her bosom.'

I hope this lays your fears to rest. Whilst I do not like my own work plaguiarised I am not adverse to people using my phrases to inspire them.

As to whether people with writers block should read the works of other poets...well in essence that would be the same as reading phrases from my poetry generators and I don't think you should tell people what they should or should not read. My generators are only as good as my programming skills (which is pretty raw) and provides phrases that do not follow any tempo or flow. I state in my coding that the phrases used are under my own copywrite as I created them (oh, except for Tiggers, but i know she won't mind!).

Remember also, what you consider as your ideas may often be the ideas of many who have written before you. If I were to write a poem about the moon, and you had already written one called the moon, then would you say this was plaguiarising your idea, or would you say that the moon is a wonder of nature and present for all to see, therefore anyone may write about it?

Oh well, I could go on for ever with this, you have to make your own decisions and decide what is best for you.

Yours,

Mel

Post Wed Apr 14, 2004 10:34 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: