BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> General Chit Chat

General Alert

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
ae

General Alert

My dear, dear friend Andrea died earlier this week. She was only 38 (she died of issues related to her obesity, but this isn't about that). Her 7-year-old daughter was alone with her in their condo for three or four days before anyone went to check on her personally. When our friend Mindy identified herself, Bre opened the door and threw herself into Mindy's belly and wailed, "My mommy's been asleep for three days and I think she's dead!"

Though Breanna had learned about calling 911, there was no landline in the home, and Breanna couldn't find Andrea's cell phone. If she had, I question whether she would have had the wherewithal to navigate through the screenlocks and homescreen to the phone mechanism in order to dial 911.

We have some moms on these boards, but this could apply to anyone who deals with children. Teaching our kids about 911 is all well and good, but we live in a new era. Most of us no longer use landlines. How many of us make a point of teaching our kids how to use our cell phones? How many of us keep them in a consistent place so a child could find them in an emergency? Andrea might have been merely unconscious when her daughter first found her unresponsive, and Breanna DID try to find the phone (911 responders later recovered it, tho I don't know from where. Maybe it was under her body). But without any way to contact anyone she knew, and with strict teaching to never wander outside on her own or answer the door to strangers, the child was in a quandary, and thus was left for days with her dead mother's body.

I realize this is an unusual situation, and unlikely to affect others quite the same, but the possible permutations are many, and the dangers are real. And it may be a wake-up call that saves a life, or spares a child the trauma that Breanna went through.

Love to all,

AE
"...a soul that wakes up to find itself wandering, unwanted, between the spheres."

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 7:58 pm 
SexyKaz

So sorry to hear about your friend, her daughter must beterribly traumatised.You raise some very valid points and i hope those who read this take them onboard Thinking of you and your friends family Arrow Kaz

Post Sat Feb 23, 2013 9:37 pm 
MdmPrez

ae

So very sorry about your friend, Andrea. It's just horrible.
I can't get the image out of my head of Bre hugging Mindy and what she then told her about her mom.
Bre will be in my prayers for a very long time.
((((((((((((((((((ae )))))))))))))))))
Cat

Post Sun Feb 24, 2013 8:39 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Sad I am very sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. Thank you for having the courage to see past that sorrow to bring up those very valid points. CHildren today are far less resourceful than those of another generation, being driven everywhere and, as you say, being told to NEVER interact with anyone outside of the family. I hope everyone with young children makes a point of teaching them to WALK to one safe house or school or shop etc in their neighbourhood. As well as teaching them to use a cell phone.
Bless your friend's daughter and I hope she has the help she will need to recover from this tragedy.

HugZ, MG

Post Mon Feb 25, 2013 9:11 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: