BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Books and Story Writers

What are you reading?
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic

What are you reading?

I am currently reading Hunter S. Thompson's Fear and Loathing on the campaign trail 1972. Wow, it is kind of scary how little the world changes. The book was writen 30 years ago, but I could have been writen last week. Politics, counter culture, america. The names amd issues may change, but that is about it. I am about 200 pages in and am enjoying it immensely. Hell, there is not even all that many drug refrences(compared to F&A in LV). Christ, I just adore thompson's writing style.

Last week I read the Stingray Shuffle, by Tim Dorsey. One of a series of 4 or 5 books is alright, with alot of crap about FL iin it. Honestly if I was not a local and had been not most of the places mentioned in the book, I would not bother with them, but they are pretty ok. Nothing really speical, but I nice relaxing, at times funny, easy read.

Post Sun May 29, 2005 10:10 pm 
MsMoody8581

I am reading a book on Ludwig II...."His life and Death" I am obsessed with him...It's very interesting...Atleast to me...

Post Sun May 29, 2005 10:49 pm 
Shamrock

Ethel Wilson Swamp Angel . It's a Canadian classic, strong feminist themes.

Post Mon May 30, 2005 2:01 am 
unlocked_behind_bars

Reading Siddharta by Hermann Hesse...its a cronicle of the spiritual evolution of a man living in India at the time of the Buddha....friend bought it for me and I wanted to know why the Nazi's banned Hesse's books so thought I'd read it.

also reading 'If on a winter's night a traveller' by italo calvino....i can never just read one at a time...lol

Post Mon May 30, 2005 4:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Rawne

I'm reading a book called "World Mythology". It's quite interesting.

Post Mon May 30, 2005 7:27 am 
wyldhart

I'm reading "Letters From The Afterlife- A Guide to the Other Side" by Katherine Hart...it's a inspiring perspective on death and on life that both mitigates our fears of dying and impels us to live to the fullest..i would recommend it to everyone...and I'm reading "The Celestine Phophecy" by James Redfield...that too...is highly recommended if you are into your own spiritual growth and the understanding of the energies we have within and how we all affect each other...and I should be done with it by now, lol...but I'm caught up in the beauty of my life...smiling....

warm hugs
wyld

Post Mon May 30, 2005 8:03 am 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

I finished Kushiel's Dart by Jacqueline Carey on recommendation of Raven. After reading my writing and getting to know me she thought I resembled the main character in the story.

Its a fantasy write that grabbed me on the first page. The story follows Phedre who is sold into the services of the Night Court. Phedre is unique because of a mote in her eye that signifies her as Kushiels Dart. What this means is she is able to receive great pleasure from pain.

A woman comes along named Melisande who is very seductive with an extremely dark side.

As I got into this book I realized that Rave is correct about Phedre's resemblance to me. The one thing she didn't know about me is that I have a mote in my eye. We laughed about that alot too! Even stranger was that there's been a woman in my life that reminds me so much of Melisande that its almost scary! lol

I am currently waiting for shipment on the two sequels to this book because its got me hooked! Also in some of my poems, I've been dealing with aspects of my relatinship with my Melisande. It was a very intense relationship from the beginning until the end.

Anyone who likes fantasy writing will get a good ride from this book.

DarkChylde

Post Thu Jun 02, 2005 6:27 pm 
fawnie

i'm currently reading the da vinci code by dan brown..it was a birthday prezzie Very Happy i've been wanting it forever! Rolling Eyes

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 9:12 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
melons
Site Admin

Hey fawnie ^5 ...I just bought the Da Vinci code last weekend Smile trying to find the time to start reading it!

I just finished reading 'Trace' by Patricia Cornwell, one of the Kay Scarpetta novels....but it had a disappointing ending...and I HATE that lol

Oh and i have been reading a lot of stuff on Motivational Theories by the pioneers in the field, herzberg, Taylor and Maslow.......for Tigs assignments! Kind of like 3 books I had to read on Human needs, factors, motivation....behavioural studies and the like (hard graft...sighing)...

cya *waving * xxxx

Post Sun Jun 05, 2005 10:17 pm 
fawnie

quote:
Originally posted by melons:
Hey fawnie ^5 ...I just bought the Da Vinci code last weekend Smile trying to find the time to start reading it!

I just finished reading 'Trace' by Patricia Cornwell, one of the Kay Scarpetta novels....but it had a disappointing ending...and I HATE that lol

Oh and i have been reading a lot of stuff on Motivational Theories by the pioneers in the field, herzberg, Taylor and Maslow.......for Tigs assignments! Kind of like 3 books I had to read on Human needs, factors, motivation....behavioural studies and the like (hard graft...sighing)...

cya *waving * xxxx

~~~~~~~~

Mel..

make sure once you do start reading ..you do have time cuz it's a hard book to put down!

xx, fawnie

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 10:56 am 
Floridagirl

The Witching Hour by Anne Rice

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 5:47 pm 
Tigger
Site Admin

Very Happy Not my assignments any more ......have had enough reading to last me at least a year.

Tigs Rolling Eyes

Post Mon Jun 06, 2005 9:44 pm 
spirospero

Might be the wrong forum for books...

...but I'll reply anyway. If the moderators would rather we move this to "Books" that would be fine.

Kandah--You would like Hiaasen, I think; he's funnier than Dorsey. Or maybe Janet Evanovich (sp?); Stephanie Plum is a hoot.

MsMoody--History junkie, maybe? I am reading "The Murder of Tutankhamen" by Bob Brier and he is my current favorite.

Shamrock--You got me on that one; but I will know more about that tomorrow.

Unlocked--I, too, read many things at a time; did you read "1000 Cities" ( I think that was the name). It was on a school reading list and I ordered because it had a cool title--my first intro to Calvino.

Rawne--Another history/ref junkie? Do you have the ISBN to that book; I think I have a bargain book w/the same title. Cool reading.

Wyldhart--I really should read that Redfield book; God knows it has been recommended enough to me, and I have sold his books for years. I did buy his Shambhala (sp) bk because it had a neat jacket.

DarkChylde--One of my former DMs met Jacqueline Carey and says she is a hoot!! He used to surprise and astound people by reading their tarot, and she actually "one-upped" him by reading his!

Fawnie--I read "The DaVinci Code" way back in March 2003 before it was released and have one of the few uncorrected proofs of the bk; the movie is due out beginning of next year and the 3rd bk will be called "Solomon's Key" (subject to change), which is also due out in 2006. An unfortunate delay caused by the movie release. We may yet see this bk drop into paper, yet. BTW, Tom Hanks is no Robert Langdon. For add'tl reading in the DaVinci Code vein, please contact me. Lots of stuff out there.

Melons--Don't have anything planned when you start "The DaVinci Code"! Good purchase; please see note above. The Collector's Editions of DaVinci *and* "Angels & Demons" are well worth the money!

FloridaGirl-- I have recently added a 4-bay Horror section to my section on the advice of 2 of my mngrs;it seems to be holding its own in sales; if you would like recommendations, I would gladly oblige when you finish Anne Rice's backlist. BTW, she has a neat house in New Orleans. Old Garden District, of course.

Tigger--I know what you mean; I have all these bks I need to be reading and I bought 2 travel mags and a new Intermediate (KIds) bk the other day just so I could finish an entire book and have some closure on something! Time to update my Netflix queue!

Hope this wasn't too long winded for all of you; please advise if we should move this thread.

Also hope this helps out on our book interest!

J

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:02 am 
fawnie

hi spirospero, i think that forum they have for books is for lesbian reading material..i'm not real sure though..

i thought about that myself when i started that thread for favorite lyrics..they do have a thread for songs as well but to me favorite lyrics seemed like a topic for chit chat as well..kinda like..what are you reading. Smile

anyhow, i loved your feedback..i wish i had the time to read the books you do..well i prob would if i wasn't an internet geek Wink

just my penny's worth

xx, fawnie

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 3:56 am 
spirospero

Guilty Conscience

Actually, I don't have the time to read all this stuff I need to be reading; as you can prob. guess, I am the GM of a bookstore. But I am proud of my books and love to talk about them. Thank you for replying to my msg; I was worried it was too long.

J

Post Tue Jun 07, 2005 4:20 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: