BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

It never rains but it pours!

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MysteryGirl
Moderators

It never rains but it pours!

On this NYE I would like to spare a thought for so many of my fellow Australians in the east coast state of Qld, which is beinb subjected to some of the worsst flooding in it's history. So many people will be spending the New Year in evacuation centres as the rain continues to fall and the rivers continue to rise. Below is a rews report on the crisis, if you dont have time to read it all, please take note of the sentence I have highlighted, might put the situation in perspective. Lord we are a big country.

"The floods crisis in Queensland is far from over with waters rising relentlessly, affecting more than 200,000 people, says Premier Anna Bligh.

Rockhampton is braced for the worst flood in its history which could isolate the city itself as well as towns and communities to the north.

"I do hope it has peaked but the advice we're getting is that the waters are in fact still rising very slowly in Emerald so we could see more people evacuated," Ms Bligh told the Nine Network on New Year's Eve.

"We've seen more than 1200 people leave their homes in the last 24 hours in Emerald - Rockhampton is bracing itself for a flood that is beyond all records.

"So we're pre-positioning temporary accommodation there with the assistance of the army and ensuring that we're ready for what is likely to come Sunday, Monday and Tuesday in Rockhampton.

"So this disaster is a long way from over, we're not into the recovery stage yet, it's some way off."

Ms Bligh said she sympathised with residents, after reports some people in the inland town of Condamine were "digging their heels in" and refusing to evacuate their homes.

"I have to say the advice I'm getting is overwhelmingly that people are being very co-operative, working with police, making sure they're getting their families to safety," she said.

"You can understand for some people, they've lived in these towns all their lives, they've never left their home, they've got pets, they've got properties to look after.

"We do have emergency powers that allow police to remove people if necessary for their own and the safety of others.

"However, we haven't had to use any of those powers yet so I think that does say that while people are often reluctant and very traumatised by this experience, in the end they are moving.

Ms Bligh said 22 towns or cities in Queensland were inundated or isolated completely with roads cut off, affecting 200,000 people in an area bigger than France and Germany combined. Food and medical supplies into towns north of Rockhampton including Townsville and Cairns, would be affected.

Post Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:55 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

In the last 48 hours things have gone from very bad to disasterous in Qld. Flash floods west of the capital of Brisbane have torn through small communities, at the moment there is a confirmed count of 9 dead and up to 70 people missing. Evacuations ae beginning in Brisbane itself as the flood waters continue to rise and the rain continues to fall. THis is serious stuff people, please spare a thought for all my fellow Australians whose homes, businesses and possibly even lives are being lost.

I am endeavouring to contact our member Slacko who lives on the Qld coast.

Sad MG

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 6:49 am 
slacko

Hi MG

Slacko is alive and well with a lake for a lawn at the moment.

The loss of life is a disaster of those 70 missing, there are "grave concerns" for 15 of them - I am sure the death toll will rise. Just tragic.

I think we will be OK where we are - if you asked me 2 days ago I would have said of course we will be OK - but wow - how much worse things have becomein the last 2 days.

When nature gets angry - we can't beat it!!

I have friends who are currently"stranded" and hoping like hell that the rain stays stopped!!!!

A very worrying time ............. thanks so much for your thoughts from WA.

To think that we have had a 10 year drought and the city of Brisbane almost ran out of water 18 months ago!!!!! Now we have so much water we could send some to you for your bush fires!!!!

It is a crazy old world.

Again - thanks for caring ...................... The Slack One!!

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:32 am 
slacko

Just got off the phone from a friend of mine. Cold Mountain Stud (a standardbred horse stud) has been devastated. The owner/studmaster was stranded on the roof of the house. All he could do was release all the horses and hope for the best. They have lost mares, foals etc. I just wish what I am hearing is wrong but I don't think so. It is just terrible.

I know loss of human life is tragic, but these things are gutting as well.

Cheers - Slacko

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 10:41 am 
Eilidh
Moderators

((((((((((((((((((Slacko)))))))))))))))))))),

Thanks for letting us know you are okay. It is heartwrenching to hear about the loss of any life, regardless whether human or animal. I hope the flooding subsides soon. Until then, I'll be keeping an eye out for any news and holding you all in my thoughts.

Hugs,
Eilidh

Post Tue Jan 11, 2011 12:49 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Very Happy Glad to hear you are OK Slacko. Try to stay dry and safe.

Well Wed. morning here and things just seem to get worse for Qld. THey are setting up evacuation centres in Brisbane as the water continues to rise. People have been asked to stay home and the CBD is shut down and power cuts are in place.

The death toll has risen to 10, with 78 missing of whom there are grave concerns for 18 of those. The waters in the small towns hit by the flash flooding are going down and the searchers are moving in to begin the grim task of scouring the wreckage for bodies. Im praying they dont find any.

Keep Queenslanders in your thoughts people, they desperately need them.

MG

Post Wed Jan 12, 2011 12:43 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Sad Sad As if they havent had enough already, Queenslanders are bracing themselves for what may be one of the worst cyclones in this countrys history. See attached news. Im praying this thing weakens miraculously in the next 12 hours but it's not looking good.

Severe Tropical Cyclone Yasi was upgraded to category five off north Queensland this morning as the weather bureau warned it was likely to be "more life-threatening" than any storm seen in Australia in living memory.

The weather bureau says Cyclone Yasi is a large and very powerful tropical cyclone and poses an "extremely serious threat" to life and property within the warning area, especially between Port Douglas and Townsville.

"This impact is likely to be more life-threatening than any experienced during recent generations," the Bureau of Meteorology (BOM) said this morning.

Tens of thousands of people are fleeing their homes ahead of the monster storm, which is expected to hit the coast between Cairns and Innisfail at about 10pm AEST tonight with winds of up to 295 kilometres per hour near the core.

This morning it was estimated to be 650 kilometres east north-east of Cairns and 650 kilometres north-east of Townsville, moving west south-west at 30 kilometres per hour.

The bureau says the low category five cyclone will continue to move in a west-southwesterly direction during today, but could become a high category five before making landfall.

Senior bureau forecaster Gordon Banks says it could take at least 24 hours for Cyclone Yasi to weaken after it makes landfall.

"There's still potential for it to become stronger ... as a strong category five we could see wind gusts in excess of 320 kilometres an hour. Which is just horrific."

Post Tue Feb 01, 2011 11:16 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: