BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Earthquake in New Zealand

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Earthquake in New Zealand

Sad A 7.0 earthquake hit the south Island of New Zealand early on Sat. morning causing widespread damage in the city of Christchurch, a city of 400,000 people. There are reports of buildings toppled, cars crushed, gas, water and power disruptions. At this stage there are no reports of deaths, however hospitals are beginning to get people coming in with injuries.

This was a biggie and I'm afraid the news is only going to get worse. I'm not sure if we have any other Kiwi members of Mels, apart from Slacko, who is safe and well in Queensland but my thoughts and prayers that there will be no deaths as a result of this.

HugZ, MG

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 12:27 am 
fortheloveofagood...
Site Admin

Hey all,

No deaths (as yet), but two people injured. Just looking this up now, as this is where my mum lives, so glad that she's safe here with me in Malaysia!

I dont know of any other members from mels in Chc.

Kx

'don't hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement'

~peace comes from knowing only love is real~

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 2:56 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

MG: Thanks for posting this information. I've been watching the news develop, too.

K: Thank goodness you and your mum decided to go on vacation! It can be hard to watch from afar, but it's better than being right in the middle of everything.

~Eilidh

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 4:06 pm 
melons
Site Admin

Thinking of everyone affected by this. So glad you and your mum are ok (((((((((((((K and mum))))))))) and that slacko is ok too (((((((((((slacko)))))))))))).

Luv'n'hugs,

Melx

Post Sat Sep 04, 2010 9:56 pm 

I'm glad you and your mum are safe, K.... hugssssssss.... and thoughts with all in the area affected. "J"

Post Sun Sep 05, 2010 12:30 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

OMG>\ Christchurch has been hit again by a massive eearthquake and this time its much worse. Terrible loss of life and the city centre is devastated.

K. I am thinking of your Mum and praying she will be OK. THis is a terrible tragedy Sad

MG

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:49 am 
Eilidh
Moderators

I heard about the earthquake, too. K and anyone else who may be in the area, let us know here, if possible, if you and your family are okay.

The last earthquake in New Zealand, in September, had a magnitude of 7.1. They're measuring today's to be a 6.3, but this one has caused far more damage than the one before. The BBC gave a statistic that New Zealand experiences around 14,000 earthquakes per year (being on the Pacific Ring of Fire), but "only" 20 of them measure above a 5.0. That gives us a little bit of perspective from which to work, but in the end, it's still a major tragedy.

Hugs and thoughts of solidarity to everyone affected by this latest earthquake,
Eilidh Arrow

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 7:58 am 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

The images coming out of Christchurch are so tragic. Their beautiful cathedral has been totally demolished and the CBD just appallingly damaged. As night falls people are still trapped in office buildings that have pancaked down up themselves. The death toll is 65 but will inevitably rise higher.

THis quake although of a lesser magnitude than the September one was very shallow, I believe centred only 10km from the city centre and at a depth of only 5 kilometres.

MG

Post Tue Feb 22, 2011 8:07 am 
Outdoors65

MG,
Thanks for keeping us posted on this. Hoping and praying everyone is OK. I've heard reports of some deaths, and that the aftershocks are delaying recovery efforts.

Has anyone heard from Slacko and/or For the Love's about her mom?

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:23 am 
slacko

I'm fine cos I live in Australia now - but thanks for your concern!! I have heard from my relations in Christchurch and they ar safe - thankfully. I have several friends there,many I have heard from, and some I haven't which is a bit of a worry.

It is so gutting though, Christchurch is my favourite city in New Zealand, as well as my mother's home town. Her father was a civic leader there for many years.

Christchurch was a beautiful city, the Cathedral in Cathedral Square a real focal point and the city, one of real beauty.

The loss of life is huge for a country the size of New Zealand - it is so saddening.

They had worked so hard to re-build following the Sept 2010 quake, and that has all been wrecked and worse damage done.

Stay tough Christchurch people - so many people have you in their thoughts and prayers

Slacko

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 5:08 am 

Thanks for updating us guys. The pictures are just devastating. Thoughts and prayers for all those affected. God Bless. J

Post Wed Feb 23, 2011 1:46 pm 
Angel1
Moderators

.((((Thoughts-healing and my prayers)))))))))
are with all of those who have been affected by this terrible tragedyI pray that they will all be given an abundance of strength and courage at this very sad and difficult time. Exclamation Exclamation God Bless Exclamation Exclamation

To the ((((((((((Rescue services- Trauma teams)))))))))) I pray that you will also be given strength and courage to deal with the aftermath of this awful tragedy Exclamation Exclamation

with my love and respect
Angel Exclamation Exclamation Exclamation

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 7:57 pm 
fortheloveofagood...
Site Admin

hey everyone,

So, so, so, soo relieved my mum was on holiday again! This time, just outside of christchurch, she felt the quake, and there have been loads of aftershocks, and one of the churches she serves is no more' - but she and her home is ok...

christchurch is a bad way tho'- they are going to have to rebuild much of the city from the looks of things...

sighs

Kx

'don't hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement'

~peace comes from knowing only love is real~

Post Sat Feb 26, 2011 9:57 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

SO glad to hear that Forthe.

It really is a mess, isn't it. I cant even begin to imagine where you start in a situation like that but I know our Kiwi friends are tough.

HugZ, MG

Post Sun Feb 27, 2011 1:36 am 

WOW, K... Thank God your mum is ok. Prayers for those affected by this terrible natural disaster. j

Post Mon Feb 28, 2011 12:13 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: