BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Parenting

dealing with a young adult son who is just shy of 18

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
which is your fav. age for children
1-5
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
6-10
100%
 100%  [ 1 ]
10-12
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
Total Votes : 1

Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
luvinmomofone1

dealing with a young adult son who is just shy of 18

does anoyone have any kids this age? how hard i feel it is to cut the apron strings and let him out on his own. not only am i concened for him haveing learned all i could teach him but i am afraid to be lonely and alone. we fight alot cause he isnt that responsible. i am stressed out in a big way...one day i want him out and right now and others i wanna hold him close and hunt him down if hes out later than he says he will be home/. he dont have a problem with my orientation but with him gone i can focus on MY life which at the time i dont have..any comments from other parents with young adults living at home...i would like some advice!

Post Mon May 12, 2008 9:32 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
nobodysangel

my thoughts

My daughter is 17.She will be 18 in Ocotber..She is a very mature young lady, she get's good grades in school. plays in the band, she is the light of my life..I gave birth to her right after I graduated high school.We have grown up together..It breaks my heart to know that in less than a year she will be graduating high school, going off to college and making her own way in this twisted world. I have to trust that I have guided her and prepared her for she may face..that I have loved her enough to love herself and be able to stand up to any peer pressure she will face in college..Whatever she faces, she knows that she can come to me and talk to me regarldess.I will always be here to catch her if she should fall...I got power of attorney over her gf last October..so not only am I responsible for my own daughter, I am responsible for her gf as well..she is the same age as my daughter..It has been a joy to have that young lady here..I was in a postion that I could take this young lady when her own parents kicked her out..They live with me and sleep in the same room..They are both responsible young ladies..Both are getting jobs for the summer, to save for college..they have a good head on their shoulders and are thinking and planning for their future...I'm doing all I can to help them with that..I know the dilemma they will be facing as lesbians when they get out on their own in the ''real world''..not all of society is going to be as accepting and loving as mom is..I've had to face my fair share of gossip and ridicule at the workplace being a lesbian..as I'm sure many of the ladies here at Mel's have had to face at one time or are facing even now..You can't shield your child forever, no matter how much you may want to. Part of me wishes I could keep my daugther a child forever..so she'd never have to face the cruelty of this world..Yet, I know that is not possible.I have to trust that I have guided her in all the ways that I know how to..She has known about my sexuality since she was a little girl..I divorced her dad to be with a woman..That relationship lasted 6 years..she lived with us of course..Seeing me be so comfortable, I think, made it easier for her to honest with who she is..That realtionship ended and I am now in a realtionship with the most wonderful woman ever..I will be leaving Tennessee to move to California to be with this woman once my daughter graduates high school..I have talked to my daugter and her gf about this..both support my decision..they will be going on to make their lives togehter..They tell me that I deserve to be happy..Kids are alot smarter than they are given credit for sometimes...All I can tell you, is to trust in the love you have for you son and the love he has for you..keep the lines of communication open at all times.. Be honest with him if he asks you questions..He may be scared of leaving the nest and afraid to admit it,, not wanting to ruin his masculine image type of thing..trust in your abilty as his mom.. and just be there to listen when he wants to talk..good luck.. Wink

Post Tue May 13, 2008 8:31 am 
luvinmomofone1

thanks for the input, i am glad that your daughter turned out so well and you are supporting her and her gf out of a bad situation. i know not all kids are bad and i know mine isnt either but hes not the angel he used to be!. it seems like all we do is fight fight fight. its like i dont evn know this kid at all. the hardest part about him leaving home is tha i will be all alone after having him around all these years, i never prepared myself for this day to come along. i guess i was in denial over him growing up, now its here and i dont wanna let him go and maybe get hurt. today he gets to go attempt to get his drivers license. wish us luck!!

Post Tue May 13, 2008 1:07 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: