BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Life…five questions…thousands of answers
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alice In Quantum Land

When I said "we don't know where the universe is" I didn't meant it literally. But we need to know what the universe is, by doing this we will have a better understanding of who or what we are and what is our place in the universe.

I think of ourself as part of this universe and not as some "foreign entities" that were dumped here by a pure divine miracle in order for us to love each other or whatever. Love is an extraordinarily complex and beautiful manifestation of what the universe as to offer. Worth dying for in some cases and most definitely worth living for, it's a good reason to live and enjoy life. But I don't think that love is a fundamental ingredient in the existence of life, I see love as a consequence of our presence here, not as a cause. You need a brain to love, but you don't need a brain to live, my beautiful pine tree here lives but doesn't love. I love it though Very Happy

Post Thu Dec 20, 2007 5:26 pm 
Dark prism

And how is it that you know for sure that your beautiful pine tree does not love?

The 5 answers are as follows:

How did it all begin?
Mel decided to start a website.

Where did it start?
Probably at her computer.

Why did it happen?
She wanted to create a place for women to share their creativity and get and give support when needed.

What is the purpose of life?
To learn and grow. Grow ~ just like a pine tree ~ -always toward the light.

What happens when we die?
Hmm, I'll get back to you on that when I finish contemplating the fuzz in Phoenix's navel.

Wink

Dp

Post Sun Dec 23, 2007 7:53 am 
Alice In Quantum Land

Even if a tree loves, it can't express it. If it can't express it, what is the purpose of love ?

And even if it could express it in a way that we, humans, can't recognize, the feeling that this tree would have would be so alien to us that the word love would probably not suit it well. "Love" as I understand it, is the need to care about what is precious, meaningful or important to us. I never saw such a behavior in trees... But maybe I'm wrong, I don't know anything about trees really.

Wink

Post Wed Dec 26, 2007 7:00 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Alice In Quantum Land:
Even if a tree loves, it can't express it. If it can't express it, what is the purpose of love ?

And even if it could express it in a way that we, humans, can't recognize, the feeling that this tree would have would be so alien to us that the word love would probably not suit it well. "Love" as I understand it, is the need to care about what is precious, meaningful or important to us. I never saw such a behavior in trees... But maybe I'm wrong, I don't know anything about trees really.

Wink

Hmmm...and who says a tree cannot express love?

It is known that plants can and do communicate...they just do not communicate in all the ways humans do. Most of the communication between plants and between plants and other creatures is chemical. For example a particular plant is under attack by a particular insect so the plant emits a chemical that will attract that insects enemy. Is that not a call for help?

Scientists have for the most part always believed that plants can and do signal insects in many ways but when Ian Baldwin and Jach Schultz put forth the idea that plants communicate with each other the scientific community almost run them out on a rail and this made it very hard for them to get any funding for further studies but...
"Time, persistence, and good science has changed attitudes. Several months ago Dicke helped produce a special issue of the journal Biochemical Systematics and Ecology filled with papers on plant-to-plant communication. Researchers now find it reasonable that plants can pick up on—and use—each other's signals. "If plants talk to their bodyguards," says Dicke, "then why would their neighbors not take advantage of that and eavesdrop on the message? The topic of plant-to-plant communication is back on the agenda, and the evidence is accumulating." From Discover Magazine 2002

Now imagine how much farther along the "science" of interplant communication would be if others in the scientific community had not scoffed at the idea that plants can and do communicate with each other especially when it was and is well accepted that plants communicate with insects so why not each other?

When one plant communcates that they are under attack by an insect and this warns other plants to prepare is this not a form of caring...caring can be and expression of love.

I am not saying that plants can hold a conversation like humans do..."How are the sprouts...it is a beautiful day...lets go to Paris on vacation"...but they do communicate with each other. When and if we learn the language we will be able to communcate with them or at least understand what they are saying.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:52 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Subversive

How did it all begin? Do we really have the arrogance to claim to know where it all began, when we can't even figure out the specifics of how cats purr?

Where did it start? My poor little brain doesn't like those thoughts, and inevitably runs screaming from the thought of eternity, and where something came from. But SOMETHING came from nothing, whether that was God, or a little speck of slime. I prefer to think that something actually intentionally created me, slime just isn't all the sexy!

Why did it happen? Why shouldn't it happen? It's a question specific to each person, and each creature, and no one can say why anyone else is here. Either that, or we really are just two-legged lab rats.

What is the purpose of life? I would like to be able to answer this question in my last second of living, and not a moment sooner. Right now though, I'm leaning towards it being preparation for another journey.

What happens when we die? I believe we simply begin another journey. Perhaps ones that our little brains don't have words for, but one nonetheless. I also believe that what we believe in life will play a huge part in where we go when we die.

As to pine trees loving... I think maybe we try and humanize too many things. If there is no hate, no dislike, what point is there in active love? Our relationships and lives are defined by the negatives and the positives, and we can choose between them. But what use does a pine tree have for hate? Maybe contentment, but I do not believe that other things suffer from the over-emotional state humanity tends to inhabit.

Post Wed Jan 02, 2008 8:02 pm 
Pumpkin

How did it all begin?

The big bang or God? To believe in the Big Bang wouldn't one have to believe that 'something' came from 'nothing' and isn't that as big of a leap of faith as believing in God? Is this not a question without an answer?

Isn't it simply how comfortable we are with 'not knowing'. Those that are not comfortable with not knowing take one of two roads: Science or God. Personally, I can't fathom either. Very Happy

I think the Buddha said, "this is this way because that is that way" I wonder if this was his way of saying that math explains it all.

Anyway far too heady for me at this moment, I'm at work and I just got paged, wheeew.... Confused Saved by the pager.

Post Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:57 pm 
luvinmomofone1

our type of human came from out of nowhere, i think that when our type of human came into the picture...i have strange belief which i wont air here for fear of being laughed out of hte thread. well i believe when our type of human arrived it killed off all the intelilgent apes. either thur interbreeding or just killing them...i belive that there was a kinda evolution going on...but it had a little help somwhere down the line........

i am not a religious person but a spirital one, i am agnostic which means basically that i do believe in a higher power but i dont fit in the mold of main stream religion..very far left here again...lol. i dont agree with supposed christaions that preach all is good as long as your saved then bomb an abortion clinic cause they are under the belife tha god tol them to do this. thats crap. who made a religion god, a religion is supposed to study gods words as WE ...in each person...interperet them as long as it huts noone. i was raised catholic and jewish..mom was jewish, dad was catholic. which intiself confused the hell outta me. but i dont believe that the catholic religion in itself i think personally that its more or less a cult.. i personally have been *born again* went to church regularly in the past but NEVER felt hte spirit in me! the only time i felt a spirit move in me i broght it on myself, also my son is a self proclaimed athiest..and he used to be a big time church goer when younger. i think he is feeiling jaded himself with so called religion.

comon ladies..lets talk about this!!

Post Sun May 11, 2008 3:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
33LB

Re: Life…five questions…thousands of answers

quote:
Originally posted by Eiregirl:
How did it all begin?

formation of self-replicating molecules from prebiotic chemistry.

quote:
Where did it start?

planet earth.

quote:
Why did it happen?

laws of physics and chemistry.

quote:

the purposes and goals which you, and others, decide for yourself.

quote:

you rot in the ground.

Post Tue Jul 08, 2008 3:51 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: Life…five questions…thousands of answers

quote:
Originally posted by 33LB:
How did it all begin?
formation of self-replicating molecules from prebiotic chemistry.
Where did it start?
planet earth.
Why did it happen?
laws of physics and chemistry.
the purposes and goals which you, and others, decide for yourself.
you rot in the ground.

LOLOL...I have had some odd answers but this is the one I had been expecting long before now. I'm glad you posted because I have been planning on getting back to this post will just have to sit down and do a lot more typing sometime soon.

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 2:15 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
desert-fish

Are alternative viewpoints acceptable?

How did it all begin?
It began because I began
Where did it all start?
In your mind
Why did it happen?
It happened because I became.
To be
You cease
to be

:wink:Actually, I think there is a school of thought that maintains that nothing exists outside of your own mind Wink

Post Wed Jul 09, 2008 4:41 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by sol-o:
Are alternative viewpoints acceptable?

How did it all begin?
It began because I began
Where did it all start?
In your mind
Why did it happen?
It happened because I became.
To be
You cease
to be

:wink:Actually, I think there is a school of thought that maintains that nothing exists outside of your own mind Wink

Sweet lady...all viewpoints are welcome Smile

Post Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:35 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: