BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Is superstition an healthy state of mind?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alice In Quantum Land

Ok this will be my last post on homeopathy I promise (don't worry Wink )

I just wanted to point out one more time that homeopathy is NOT natural medicines. Although some homeopathic products uses natural substances like herbs and plants (like any other pharmaceutical meds) natural ingredients are not what defines homeopathy.

Homeopathy is about finding a substance (natural or not) that provokes the symptoms that the patient has (it could be sulfuric acids or radioactive substances or of course more natural things such as herbs and plants). The idea behind it is that if you suffer from symptom X then you must find a substance that can cause this symptom in an healthy patient. It is claimed that by diluting this substance in water it will reverse the effect. And the more diluted the better it is...

An alcoholic could be healed in this way by pouring a beer in the Atlantic and then take a sip out of the ocean.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:04 pm 
Cavewoman

you are correct - i have misued the term homeopathic .... or, perhaps, this is another problem I have just stumbled into... because frankly, in the medical world, when the conversation of natural medicine comes up, we toss the world homeopathy around as if it is all inclusive... which, indeed as you have just (again ..... thank you) more succinctly defined... it does not.

Post Fri Dec 07, 2007 6:20 pm 
Phoenix
Moderators

Cave, do you think your experiences are the norm? Do you believe that most people have doctors such as yours who believe in alternative therapies, and suggest them to their patients? Many hospitals have brought in Massage Therapy now that it is a licensed profession in most states, and I have heard of some using aromatherapy as well, but my main point is there are many alternative therapies, and options, that are never discussed.

I would think the main goal of the AMA and those in the health care profession would be to heal people while doing the least amount of damage in the process, but from what I have studied and learned, that is not the path the big business environment has taken. Natural remedies cannot be patented, and therefore they can't corner the market on them.

They produce articles ridiculing such practices as fraud and quackery despite the empirical evidence available. Years ago, before antibiotics were used, the medical profession used to use Colloidal Silver to treat bacterial infections. Colloidal Silver for those who don't know what it is is a natural antibiotic thus it cannot be patented. It is very successful. You can drink gallons of the stuff and not be harmed (thought one is advised to replace the good bacteria when done). It was dumped for the marketing of drugs they could charge a lot for and you would have to go to a doctor to get them.

If you study the facts on Colloidal Silver, you will find positive information and how to make it yourself. I have a machine that makes it in varying strengths. There are scare tactic articles online about it that talk about people getting sick, the whites of their eyes turning a blue color etc, but what they don't tell you is those people used impure silver to make the Colloidal Silver. Those authors, many from the scientific communty, know the truth, and yet they produce such pieces to dissuade people from using Colloidal Silver. Why don't they say the truth? Why don't they say, Colloidal Silver was used for thousands of years safely, but make sure it's with pure silver otherwise you could run into A, B, C problems. Those who do teach about Colloidal Silver from a factual basis do put out those warnings.

I'm very glad you have a great doctor and your community is blessed with two renegades who are risking a lot by bucking the system. I'm glad your hospital is doing the things you say. My main issue if the fact that there are many cures for diseases that have been hidden from the people, doctors who tried to introduce those cures careers were destroyed, and some have had unfortunate accidents that ended their lives. I am not being melodramatic, but stating facts I have learned. It is very dangerous to buck the system. Doctors who work as scientists lose their funding if they try to "investigate" an issue that could harm the pharmeceutical industry, thus they lose their careers. Why go to school for twelve extra years, invest all that money, only to have your career ruined because you want to do a double blind study on the safety of the MMR vaccine and it's possible connection to the epidemic of autism facing our children. Doctors in Italy and other countries are doing the studies, but not here.

I could go on an on regarding other issues that have been proven helpful in curing illnesses, the validity of vitamins and minerals in healing as well as a plethora of other areas. I'd love to hear from every member here on mels who lives in America and goes to the doctor if they have had such natural remedies suggested to them, or if they tried to bring them up what the doctors response was. I think there are many wonderful doctors, I am grateful for those who dedicate their lives to healing others, and can help someone in crisis. I am very troubled by the over medicating of people, and the refusal of the AMA and big business in the health industry to pursue such methods, and start demanding the insurance companies back off. Real studies have been done to prove the usefulness of these methods. I'm sure the AMA and such companies could do some of their own without tweaking them with synthetic ingredients to skew the results, and thus have a foot to stand on for prescribing such treatments. It is obvious from your communities response that people want these offered, but I wonder how much money it cost you to cook an onion in some water. I wonder how much money the hospital and pharmacy can make off of that kind of cough medicine.

Thanks for your input, as always your experiences are interesting, and I appreciate knowing there is hope.

Post Sat Dec 08, 2007 2:41 am 
33LB

to answer the topic title directly, no, superstition is not healthy for the mind. a rational, clear-thinking mind is much better for a person to have.

there was a time when superstitions were prevalent in society. we now appropriately call this the dark ages. after the dark ages, science became prevalent and now we enjoy much more comfortable lives. the world would be a much better place if everyone adopted a scientific mode of thinking.

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:20 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: