BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Investigating Beauty.

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Alice In Quantum Land

Investigating Beauty.

I'm sitting alone in a coffeehouse drinking a... tea.

A man is smoking a cigarette 2 or 3 tables away from me and I'm looking at the beautiful way in which the smoke escapes from the tip of his cigarette, contrasting elegantly with the lighting that gently filled the room. The smoke swirled and twirled as it went up, creating this amazing moving structure in midair. I'm sitting there, lost in the art work that only nature can produce.

Another woman is looking at him too... But she doesn't seem to be in the same state of contemplation that was mine at the moment. She angrily waved her hands in the air destroying the ephemeral and fragile airborne sculpture that the man had unknowingly carved.

What I found to be beautiful she despised and destroyed.

I told myself that I probably did the same to someone else too, in other circumstances: To spoil someones beautiful moments by my abrupt, unintended behavior.

Of course, twirling smoke is trivial but is it possible maybe that our unconscious destruction of beauty in the world be the cause of some serious frustrations in other people? Frustrations that might lead us to hate, kill or going to war with one another? And if that's the case... What can we do?

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 8:43 am 
Hawaiian

Aloha Alice,

Welcome to mels!

I felt this feeling this morning, listening to the birds sing...only to be drowned out by the roar of my neighbor's moped.

Beauty is ephemeral, perhaps spoiled by change...of mood, perspective, time. I think that the best we can do is recognize it when it happens.

I can't think of how our unconscious destruction of beauty leads to frustrations great enough to go to war. Could you give an example?

~Hawn

PS I regret that I had to delete the picture in your post, it was beautiful. But we have copyright and bandwidth rules.

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 2:33 pm 
Alice In Quantum Land

Hi Wink, thanks for the greeting.

I can't think of any frustrations that leads to war either, not even murder but here's an example of hatred.

A girlfriend I had owned a house on the country side. The sun is setting, it's quiet, serene, peaceful and she is reading one of these cheap and macho pulp fiction books that I can't stand but that she loves so much. Then her neighbors decides that they wanted to have fun... It's motocross time. We could hear the sounds of their loud motors fade in and out as they went around in circles in their yard for 2 hours. My girlfriends beautiful moment is ruined. She violently trows her book at the window in the direction of the playing kids, she walks to me, angry and sarcastically joked: "Please Alice... Go kill the lil fuckers!"

Sure it was only a joke, sure she wasn't going to actually kill them but she genuinely hated those kids for all they did was riding bikes and shooting rifles. So I ask myself : can this kind of hatred eventually lead to more serious consequences than a sarcastic joke?

Post Tue Dec 04, 2007 3:39 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: