BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Parenting

I need Help

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Radonna

I need Help

My ex husband's family has just found out that I am in a relationship with a woman. My ex has known for two years and is wonderfully supportive he knew the whole time married to me that a relationship with a man wasn't easy or natural for me. We have two children together. Children that were my primary reason for marrying a man in the first place.

I am moving to Alabama to live with my partner in two weeks. My ex's family can get pretty dirty. I am worried after reading about the Cheif Justice in Alabama and his ruling that homosexuality alone is reason enough to remove children from their parent. My partner is worried too she said she would walk away from me before she would see me loose my children. I need someone familiar with the rights of lesbian parents. Can the Department of childrens services investigate a home soley on the basis of homosexual parents. Can children be removed by the state without any other cause. If my ex's family filed for custody would they stand a chance in getting my kids?

any information or links to information would be greatly appriciated I've been googling stuff and coming up empty handed.

Thank you
Radonna

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 8:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Hawaiian

Aloha Radonna,

First of all, welcome to mels.

I'm not a lawyer, but I can tell you what I've found. The judge in question, Roy Moore, is known as the "10 Commandments Judge" and he did call homosexuality "inherently evil" in writing the decision. Here's a resource for some of the rulings in Alabama: http://www.sodomylaws.org/usa/alabama/alabama.htm

Alabama is one of the states that still has sodomy laws on the books, and actively prosecutes under those laws (for both unmarried heterosexual couples and homosexual consenting adults.) The penalty is 1 year in jail/$2000. It also has laws against sex toys. So, I would have to advise you to be very careful, as I could see how this law could be used to investigate a home.

I don't know about your relationship with your ex. But I really don't know what if anything his family could do, especially if they don't live in the same state. But to be sure, I'd contact an LGBT lawyer in that state, and possibly another in the one you are in now. I did find a list of some LGBT legal resources here:

http://www.we2haveparentalrights.com/legalresources.html

Good luck,
~Hawn

Post Wed Nov 28, 2007 11:10 pm 
coconut

First of all welcome to mels.
I'm sorry you are having to stress with all this.

My understanding is this,
If the father is involved with the children and has no objection to anything, there isn't a damn thing his family can do. If hs has blessed the relationship and has granted you permission to leave the state with his children and a reasonable agreement has been made then the judge really doesn't have a leg to stand on.

Also
If you are in another state, he has no jurisdiction to order family services in another state to investigate you and, if there are custody issues involved, it would be the judgment of the investigator not the judge that matters.
somehow near
Sometimes it seemed
if I just dreamed
somehow you would
be here

Post Thu Nov 29, 2007 8:39 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: