BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Coming Out....

Christian Women?
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
stronger211

recently started going to an MCC church. my girlfriend and I met in college through a christian organization (she was out- but okay as long as she wasnt "acting" on her sin. I wasn't) My christian friends had a variety of reactions from disownment to agreement to disagree type thing. There are lesbian christians out there, just harder to find especially because the church turns a lot of people who are interested in God away because of judgementalism. Look around for a church that is "welcoming and affirming" I learned that was the keyword when searching on my own. Good luck!

Post Thu May 29, 2008 10:39 pm 
33LB

i don't believe in god. i'm surprised to see so many christians here, as there are many christians who oppose gayness and think it is unacceptable. i live in northern ireland, and recently, a female christian politician claimed that homosexuality is a psychological disorder and called it an abomination. gay people were outraged at her statements.

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 6:51 pm 
Angel1
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by 33LB:
i live in northern ireland, and recently, a female christian politician claimed that homosexuality is a psychological disorder and called it an abomination.

((((((((((33LB))))))))))))
This just goes to show that some people are cursed by their own ignorance Rolling Eyes

With love and respect
Angel1 x x Exclamation

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:21 pm 
Hawaiian

~sigh

33LB,

As a member of mels, I would like to ask you to contribute positively to the discussion or not at all. We don't need someone who tells us how it is where ever, who tells us what those homophobes said...we are innately familiar...having heard the same personally many times in life.

As for homosexuality being a psychological disorder, it was accepted medical opinion for many years...does that make it correct? No. Does it make it correct when people espouse hatred from the pulpit, in government chambers, on the television, or even on the street? No.

There are many more Christian churches that are coming into enlightenment in this day. There are many that are going the other way towards intolerance. (Note the recent split in the Anglican church over the issue.)

It shouldn't surprise you that many women here are religious. I find myself more surprised that the Christian God is used as an instrument of intolerance, hatred and violence.

~Hawaiian

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 7:31 pm 
stronger211

In defense of 33LB I think any input is welcome as long as it is in good taste and for the purposes of sharing information. I took your post as further proof of the stupidity and ignorance of christian people in power. I understand Hawaiian that we have all heard these before and have dealt with it ourselves many times. I personally like to hear of how other countries and cultures view homosexuality, because its different everywhere. I guess if I thought about it I would have assumed that Northern Ireland is pretty religious and therefore probably not very accepting, but it was interesting to get that tidbit.

I agree with you Hawaiian at how surprised I am at how "God" is used as an instrument for hatred and judgement. I have always felt that was the exact opposite of God's purpose and always have shyed away from fundamentalist and overly evangelical churches.

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 9:03 pm 
33LB

quote:
Originally posted by Hawaiian:
As for homosexuality being a psychological disorder, it was accepted medical opinion for many years...does that make it correct? No. Does it make it correct when people espouse hatred from the pulpit, in government chambers, on the television, or even on the street? No.

There are many more Christian churches that are coming into enlightenment in this day. There are many that are going the other way towards intolerance. (Note the recent split in the Anglican church over the issue.)

sorry, i did not mean to cause offense. i was just trying to contribute by sharing a story from where i live.

personally, i think whether or not it is a 'disorder' does not matter. i'm very liberal and think people should be free to act as they want, as long as they are not harming others. needless to say, the political party this woman represents has lost my vote (well, they had already lost it due to other reasons, but this was the final straw.)

quote:
It shouldn't surprise you that many women here are religious. I find myself more surprised that the Christian God is used as an instrument of intolerance, hatred and violence.

i agree. i think the fundamentalists who promote bigotry and intolerance are further away from jesus's teachings than anyone else (contrary to what they may think).

Post Sun Jul 06, 2008 10:40 pm 
Hawaiian

Aloha (((((stronger)))))

I admire that you came to 33LBs defense to stand up for principles of sharing and communication and learning. I usually hold these values in high regard, and I'm afraid that I didn't pinpoint my annoyance with him all that clearly in my previous post.

At the risk of going on a rant, I'm gonna share exactly what's ticked me off. It really isn't that he shared about a homophobic politician in No. Ireland...that kind of news bores and saddens me...I am a bit numb to political pandering.

No, the part that ticked me off is the arrogance of this guy. Case in point, this thread is titled "Christian Women," and is about a host of deep, personal issues that many women here struggle...acceptance, understanding, belonging, spirituality and devotion... does God love me too? He admits to not believing in god and he's not a woman. I find that it is either incredibly arrogant to post here in the Coming Out section (or any other section that he hasn't a hint of a clue like How to Please Your Partner) or it's troll bait or both. I wouldn't participate in a discussion about something that I couldn't possibly have a clue about...would you?

~Hawn

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 6:08 pm 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Ok topic being paused until an instigator gets the hint that their responses are doing nothing but stirring up a hornets nest.

Darkchyldeskiss
Admin

Post Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:44 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: