BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Cooking Techniques and Recipes

Shepard's Pie (It is a dinner - not a dessert!)

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Xalia1
Moderators

Shepard's Pie (It is a dinner - not a dessert!)

6 or 7 Large Potatoes
1 Can of Corn
1 Can of Green Beans
1 Can of Peas
1 Can of Carrots
2 Cans of Tomato Soup (or substitute Cream of Mushroom)
1 Lb. of Ground Beef (hamburger)
1 Bag of Shredded Cheese – optional

Peel and chop potatoes into a large pot of water.
Boil until potatoes are soft all the way through.
Drain potatoes, then mash together with milk & butter.
(make mashed potatoes, however you make them)

While potatoes are cooking, brown and drain your hamburger.
Open all cans of veggies and soups.

In an Iron Skillet, put your hamburger on the bottom. Then place your soups and veggies on top. Stir them around if you want, or not.
Cover entire mixture with mashed potatoes. Do not stir the potatoes in.
(Place cheese on potatoes if desired)
Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20 minutes, or until potatoes are golden on top.

Serve and Enjoy!
Serves about 4 -5 people

Post Sat Oct 06, 2007 9:31 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
Eilidh
Moderators

Xalia,

This is great. Just last week I was trying to explain to a guy from England why "pot pies" (chicken, veggie, whatever) are not eaten for dessert! He just didn't seem to get it.

~Eilidh

Post Sun Oct 07, 2007 1:38 pm 
Enigmatic

I don't understand that Eilidh, I thought the explaination was for people other than from the UK lol. I'm from England - I've never made Shepherds pie like that though, we'd make Shepherds pie with lamb, it's Cottage pie we make with beef, we wouldn't use any soups or tins of anything either, was also wondering what's meant by hamburger? Does it refer to minced beef? Sorry new to all the language differences! My standard recipe I use for Cottage pie though if you fancy trying it out for a change xalia is:

Boil potatoes ready for the mash.

Brown minced beef in a large saucepan, add a chopped onion and brown that, add finely chopped carrots, parsnips and some swede, add gravey (I'd add gravey graules and them some boiling water), dash or two of worcester sauce - leave that cooking with a lid on while you sort out the mash - I'd use butter and milk too.

Put in a casserole dish and spread mash over the top with a fork, cook gas mark 5/6 until the top is nicely brown. We always have it with plenty of veggie on the side (dd's favourite is brocolli:)) and gravey. Mmmmm.

Made me fancy Cottage pie now and it's nearly 12 o'clock at night!

Post Sat Jan 05, 2008 11:55 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

When I think of "cottage pie", I think of cottage cheese.
Quite honestly, I've never heard the term before. You learn something new every day!

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 12:04 am 
Enigmatic

You certainly do, I still find it really strange you had to explain to an English person about potatoe pies as they're such a traditional dish and Shepherds and Cottage pies originate from England! Mostly when English people talk about pies they are referring to savoury pies whether potatoe or pastry, I'd expect Americans to be more confused because they have more of a fruit pie thing going on - cherry pie, pumkin pie etc, we don't really have them apple pies and minced pies are about as far as we go into sweet pies.

Where abouts are you and Xalia? Xalia's recipe is so different it got me wondering where about it's from, is it standard from where you are or is it your personal recipe?

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:03 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

It might have just been because I called it a "pot" pie, instead of a "Shepard's" pie or whatever it is usually called in England.
It's good to hear they do exist outside of the US, whatever they may be called ...

~Eilidh

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:12 pm 
Enigmatic

Yeah I think it's cus we don't have a generic term like pot pie to talk about all pies with potatoe instead of pastry, we'd just say seperately cottage/shepherds pie/corned beef and potatoe pie/cheese and potatoe pie or whatever.

If you give it a try let me know what you think of the English version - assuming xalias is standard for where you are.

Post Sun Jan 06, 2008 3:17 pm 
Xalia1
Moderators

I just caught up with this thread!

You ladies have had such an interesting convo about this, that's great.
Enigmatic - I would love to try your version of this, it sounds interesting.
The recipe I have posted is one that has been used in my family for years and years...I'm not quite sure where it came from. I am from Missouri, USA. It isn't really a common dish with anyone around here, but I know that everyone I have made it for really liked it!
The hamburger is ground beef...I'm not sure if it is called something else where you are?

I'm glad you liked this thread, rock on ladies..
And post some more on the boards, I am learning new stuff and I love hearing about what everyone else is cooking!

Xalia

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 7:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
smart_cookie

I will definitely try this, Xalia! Thanks!

Arrow

Cookie

Post Mon Jan 07, 2008 10:32 pm 
SASSY SOUL

You have to try - what I call - Shepherds chili - it's like a shep pie but put chili or chili con carne instead of the shep pie mix under the spud (potato) YUM. I did it last night.

Post Tue Jan 08, 2008 11:58 pm 
Xalia1
Moderators

Cooks,

Glad you liked the idea! Let me know if you try it & if you like it or not.
I absolutely love it. Always tastes like home. Smile

Sassy,

That sounds really good! I will have to try that.
Thanks for the idea.

Hugs to ya both,
Xalia

Post Wed Jan 09, 2008 5:55 am 
Enigmatic

Hi xalia, I think ground beef is what we call minced beef, I googled for a picture and the ground beef pic make it look like a mushed together version of minced beef (which kind of looks like worms when it's raw lol but breaks up when cooked).

Post Sat Jan 12, 2008 9:56 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: