BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Books and Story Writers

kicking it off...., lesbian themed books
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Flowers

quote:
Originally posted by Xina:
I just ordered Fingersmith from Barnes and Noble. I can't wait to get it. I heard good things.
Enjoy!!!!!!!

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:49 am 
Flowers

Fingersmith is A CLASSIC NOVEL. enjoy

Post Thu Apr 06, 2006 5:05 am 
Pride

Anything by Saxon Bennett is good (i.e. Talk of the Town, Talk of the Town Too, Both Sides)

I thoroughly enjoyed Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle.

Ummm I absolutely LOVE Peggy J. Herring. (i.e. Hot Check)

That's pretty much all I can name off the top of my head.

For anyone interested, www.bellabooks.com is a great website to refer to for lesbian novels.

Hope I've helped.

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:59 pm 
kaJo

Sorely dissapointed!!

I honestly have to say I was dissapointed but humored as I often am by my disability. I am dyslexic and I swore I read this forum topic as
"Licking it off..." not kicking it off. Embarassed OH WELL. Sad

I have found a reletively new author I like by the name of Kim Baldwin`she does Lesbian fiction.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 12:57 am 
indy

Hello EVERYONE!!

I am SO excited to find you!

I really have enjoyed reading Elizabeth Sims.
She had a series of 4 books (so far) of the Lillian Bryd series.
She has a nice wit about her.
And if any of you are from the Detroit area you will enjoy most of the settings. Just sent my E. Sims books to a dear friend in CT.
So far she loves them!!

Thank you for all of your suggestions.

Now I am off to explore the rest of the site!!

indy
Exclamation

Post Sun Jul 30, 2006 12:23 am 
Sadie Sin

I LOVE Annie on My Mind by Nancy Garden One of the best books
I've ever read.
I'm read It's in Her Kiss by Elizabeth Dean right now. I like it so far.

Post Mon Sep 11, 2006 1:51 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
ae

No such list is complete without the original

I read the Well of Loneliness before I went off to college and got free and politicized. I could barely stand the pain of that book. I mean, I literally had to close the book and just sob it off for a while. I decided I couldn't even stomach finishing the thing, it was so heartbreaking. Of course I did eventually, but I've never, ever had a book make me wail like that (and I cried at nearly every book from Narnia!). The ending is almost intolerable. It made the emerging femmey lesbian in me want to rush to heal the wounds of the handsome gentleman dyke protagonist. Pitiful. Tragic.

It's an interesting historical look at the difficulty of being queer and female in the early 20th century--at least in upper-class British society-- but I think there's still enough homophobia in western culture that the story, written in 1928, rings true even now. And Radclyffe Hall's prose is better than a lot of drek that makes it to market today, though it is also consistent with the wordier style of the era.

It's also a fabulous look at family dynamics and the sensitivity of relationships with the critters we love as if they were our family. And then, there's the pleasure of reading anything that was once banned for obscenity!

Go, sisters, go... immerse yourselves in the lesbo-lit of yore!
"...a soul that wakes up to find itself wandering, unwanted, between the spheres."

Post Tue Sep 19, 2006 2:20 am 
smart_cookie

quote:
Originally posted by Pride:
Anything by Saxon Bennett is good (i.e. Talk of the Town, Talk of the Town Too, Both Sides)

I thoroughly enjoyed Rita Mae Brown's Rubyfruit Jungle.

Ummm I absolutely LOVE Peggy J. Herring. (i.e. Hot Check)

That's pretty much all I can name off the top of my head.

For anyone interested, www.bellabooks.com is a great website to refer to for lesbian novels.

Hope I've helped.

Yes, Peggy J. Herring rocks, doesn't she? I have read "Beyond All Reason" and "Once More With Feeling" and loved them both. The fact that I lived in San Antonio for 6 years doesnt hurt either!

--Cookie

Post Sun Jan 21, 2007 1:45 am 
BdeCaunteton

My interests of lesbian fiction would have to come from the origins.

Virginia Woolf's "Orlando" or "Mrs. Dalloway"
Samuel Taylor Coleridge's "Christabel" (planning on reading it this week, but really the lesbian stuff is more debateable)
J.S. le Fanu's "Carmilla"
Michael Cunningham's "The Hours"

I personally think that the lesbian genre is truly shit nowadays, but I think Sarah Waters is the savior of the lesbian genre. Of course she's more of my personal preference anyway, some critics have described her writing as "Dickensian" and that makes me a bit tentative 'cos Dickens, for me, is really hard to read!

www[dot]bdecauntetonspoetry[dot]webs[dot]com

Post Sun Mar 11, 2007 11:18 pm 
slacko

I think I posted something like this somewhere else once ...... but ........... I agree that Sarah Waters is very hard to beat. Fabulous writing style!! The televised versions of 2 of her books hve been good - but I enjoyed the books more.

I have also enjoyed a couple of mystery fiction series where the PI is a lesbian - and her story, along with the crime she is solving run nicely alongside each other. I found them great entertaining light reads. Best to read them in the sequence they were written!!

Author - Sandra Scoppettone - the PI is Lauren Laurano - a 5 book series.

Author - Mary Wings - the PI is Emma Victor - a 4 book series.

I found them and loads of other lesbian love books in the romance section of my local library - simply by keying in the word "lesbian" to the catalogue.

Good reading ................ Slacko

Post Mon Mar 12, 2007 10:00 am 
angelsmoki

It is only in the last year I have started to read lesbian oriented books. Here a are few of my favorites so far:

Packing Mrs. Phipps by Anne Seale
Honor series by Radclyffe though I have only read 2 so far
Stone Butch Blues by Leslie Feinberg- a friend lent me this book not long after I came out and it helped me understand a few things
One Degree of Seperation and Maybe Next Time by Karin Kallmaker
Fried Green Tomatoes and the Whistle Stop Cafe by Fannie Flagg - this book had me laughing out loud

Post Sat Mar 31, 2007 5:09 am 
shanelvr

I just got Girl Walking Backwards by Bett Williams today. Will let you know how it is.

Shanelvr Smile

Post Tue Apr 17, 2007 12:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
kch

ZAMI by Audre Lorde

I couldn't put this one down. It haunts me.

Post Mon Jun 18, 2007 8:38 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger ICQ Number  Reply with quote  
Kinipela

So many books... hmmm....
Well, of course, there is Katherine Forrest with the classic Curious Wine and the Kate Delafield series.
And Melissa Good, with a series where the 2 main charachters are based on Xena and Gabriel.
Several mysteries written by Karin Kallmaker, aren't too bad.
And several erotica books written by Tristan Taormino.

...not to mention the incredible authors that have already been mentioned. Hope that helps!

Jenn

Post Wed Jun 20, 2007 4:15 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: