BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Books and Story Writers

kicking it off...., lesbian themed books
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
blue

kicking it off...., lesbian themed books

ok, so i'm gonna ask if anyone has any recommendations for lesbian themed books. i'm curious what sort of literature people are into. i have a whole stack of books yet to be read but any tips are always welcome....

i'll start us off (with an obvious one perhaps..)
- anything by sarah waters, particularly 'tipping the velvet' Smile

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:31 pm 
melons
Site Admin

hmmmm....'Tipping the Velvet' has to be one of my favourite reads. Did you ever see the dramatised version they did for TV in the UK? It was brilliant! Very Happy

As for other books, well there are quite a few out there, some of which are listed in my Book store. You could use this just to have a look at some of the reviews on Amazon if you are interested (now I sound like a sales promotion! ..hehe). You might notice the links are priced in US dollars (I joined Amazon.com and not Amazon.co.uk by mistake Rolling Eyes ), but from Amazon you can go to the UK price lists, should you be interested.

If you ave any other books to recommend or if anyone else does then let me know and I will add them to the bookstore.

Lets hope you kicked this topic off to a good start....

Cheers for now,
Cool
Mel

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:33 pm 
blue

QUOTE (Melons @ Sep 5 2003, 09:03 PM)
hmmmm....'Tipping the Velvet' has to be one of my favourite reads. Did you ever see the dramatised version they did for TV in the UK? It was brilliant! Very Happy
l

tipping the velvet is indeed fantastic Very Happy
i was so excited when i saw it was on TV... but then, i found the tv version a little disappointing... though probably only because i had hyped it up in my head. i prefer my head's version i think but hey, i still liked it all.

the book link sounds great. i shall check it out. though, it'd still be nice to have some people posting their everyday people recommendations here Smile

Post Wed Feb 18, 2004 11:35 pm 
Dragonfly

Lesbian Love Stories

How about the Diane Tremain-Braund books? I love that they are set in Maine- one of my favorite places to visit!!!

Smile Dragonfly

Post Wed Jun 16, 2004 6:17 am 

Lesbian novels

there's The rubyfruit jungle by Rita mae Brown, about an adopted girl from a poor family....it looks like a regular romance novel your granny would read, you'd never kno it was about a lesbian! except if you really thought about the title. Wink

there's another one about two girls in high school... it's called "keeping you a secret" but I can't remember who it's by.

-morning_song

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 2:07 am 
Tigger
Site Admin

Smile Yep I read The rubyfruit jungle a while ago.....Rita Mae wrote some good books.

Tigs

Post Thu Aug 26, 2004 11:29 pm 
cicely

'Oranges are not the only fruit', by Jeanette Winterson is a favourite of mine...loved the tv series too!

Recently read 'Suits Me, the double life of Billy Tipton' by Diane Wood Middlebrook. True story of a big band musician. Great story, fascinating life...

Oh, and a big hello ....I just discovered this site when searching google for a quote of Natalie Barney. Love the beautiful colours...

cicely

Post Fri Feb 25, 2005 6:16 pm 
DanceofSorrows

Welcome Cicely~

Dance~

Post Sun Feb 27, 2005 5:34 am 
MisguidedFool

Re: Lesbian novels

quote:
Originally posted by Anonymous:

there's another one about two girls in high school... it's called "keeping you a secret" but I can't remember who it's by.

-morning_song

Oh, its by Julie Anne Peters - good book! Wink

Post Tue Jun 21, 2005 10:53 pm 
sothernnite

um...wilder than milder...anything by Pat Califia like "macho Sluts" and "mortal Companion". harder core than most but even some softies could enjoy many parts of these books.
and anything by laurell K hamilton with lead character Anita Blake. anita is not a lebian but Laurells books have wonderful undertones that make you not really care.
for the milder side, books like nora an liz by nancy Garden... and any in that class of romanitc novels for lesbians. they arent as stteamy but are definitely romantic.
and i read constantly. i always have a book by my side. besides women readin is my fav pasttime

sothernnite

Post Sat Jul 23, 2005 8:16 pm 
froggy_drama_queen

I'm always reading and writing as well, and while my writing revolves around lesbians, I have yet to read any lesbian romance novels. How strange, i know, but I'm taking names and going to Waldenbooks. LOL
Froggy

Post Wed Jul 27, 2005 1:07 am 
Xina

Name Me Nobody by Lois-Ann Yamanaka
About a girl who finally begins to realize that her friend is a lesbian. One of my favorite books of all time.

Bermudez Triangle by Maureen Johnson. Two girls are suddenly finding themselves attracted to eachother when their other best friend goes away for some precollege program. Not my favortie but I always believed that beggars can't be choosers. I can't exactly bring all the lesbian books home that my heart desires unless I want them all burned by my mother.
Besides, all the really good ones were mentioned already. Wink
I’m so in love with you
I’ll be forever blue
That you give me no reason
Why you’re making me work so hard

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 9:15 am 
Loversheart2

Ok I'm reading or have read,

Im reading a book because Im new to this woman to woman relationship called,
Love Shook My Heart bye lrene Zahava its New lesbian love stories.
Awesome book really pulls you in. LOL Very Happy

Then just on the side reading High Contrast by Jessie Lattimore and The Lesbian Love Companion By Marny Hall.

HOpe this helps Rolling Eyes

Post Thu Aug 04, 2005 11:36 am 
Xina

I just ordered Fingersmith from Barnes and Noble. I can't wait to get it. I heard good things.
I’m so in love with you
I’ll be forever blue
That you give me no reason
Why you’re making me work so hard

Post Tue Aug 09, 2005 1:59 pm 
Sheelanagig

quote:
Originally posted by Xina:
I just ordered Fingersmith from Barnes and Noble. I can't wait to get it. I heard good things.

I love fingersmith, it would have to be her best, so well written and it really stands alone without the love story, of course I wouldn't want that to be Wink . I just saw the bbc adaption which was great as well , groan I am envious though, three books , two made into bbc miniseries... I hope one day I can write something as well as she has.

Post Sat Oct 01, 2005 3:16 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: