BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Global warming…is it real or just a big lie?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic This topic is locked: you cannot edit posts or make replies.
Eiregirl

This may seem like I am rambling a little but Razz read anyway Smile

All of this rant about “global warming” is starting to get on my nerves because I hear about it everywhere but I see few people actually doing anything about it. You have one side that feverently believes it will be the end of humanity. Another side thinks its all a bunch of crap and yet another side thinks its just a part of the normal cycle of events. Each of these groups believe in there point of view and few of them will even listen to what the other side has to say or what anyone has to say who opposes there point of view. The good thing I see from this is that some people are actually taking an interest in our environment and doing things that help keep our environment safe for us to live in. If everyone who actually believes that we humans are playing a part in “global warming” did something to help prevent it then we might not be having this discussion…or would we? I actually love it when I see people who practice what they preach instead of the “do as I say and not as I do” approach. Yes, I think we would still be having this discussion but I do not think the human factor would be as prevalent in the discussion.

There are those who think we have to have laws to stop this “global warming”. That is a bunch of BS. We do not need to force the solution down peoples throats. We need to instill an attitude in people that will make them care more about the world they live on.

As to my first question…
Would you be surprised to find out that it is both real and a big lie?

There is no question that Earths average yearly temperature has been increasing over the past hundred years of recorded data (by instrumental means of recording temperature). What about the hundred years before that? What about all the millennia before? So many people focus in on the past 10 years…the past 50 years…the past 100 years and the past 150 years…because those are the years where there is good solid instrumental data to look at but what about the millions of years before? Those are all very good questions and a little history would be beneficial in answering them.

The first thermometer was developed in 1592 by Galileo but it was not perfected until 1644 when it was found that the thermometer was influenced by barometric pressure but by sealing the thermometer from the barometric pressure the problem was solved and this device has changed very little since. So in 1644 the instrumental means for recording temperature was perfected. Even though the ability to record temperature was available to at least one person in 1644 it would be about 250 years before this ability was widely available and scientifically recorded throughout the world on a daily basis. To gather data in order to analyze historical trends in weather conditions and temperature many climatologists and historians search manuscripts, journals, ships records and any data they can to find what the temperature and weather conditions were on any given date and/or time period. They gather all of this data and plug it into there climate and temperature models. They make their charts and graphs…but what does all of this information tell them? That over the past 150 years the average temperature has increased less than 1 degree Celsius. That one degree on a global scale is not a small thing. This is only 150 years of data and a lot of that data can be looked at with skepticism.

We need to dig deeper into the past and gather more data to create the best possible temperature trend that we can. How can this be done? It can be done by using tree ring data, examining coral reefs, boreholes in ice and the earths surface and a good number of other ways and it would take me far to long to explain all of these methods so…if your interested then look it up yourself or read my last paragraph. By study and analysis of all of this data and adding it to the instrumentally recorded data we can and do find trends in the history of earths temperature.

Many “experts” (rolling my eyes at the word) claim that since the industrial revolution all the chemicals humans have poured into the atmosphere are causing a global increase in temperature and depleting earths ozone layer. I agree with that to a point. We are destroying our world and we need to stop it or she will stop us…period end of story. There is more to the rise in earths temperature than just what is happening here on earth and it can also been seen by the study of historical records but these records do not focus entirely on earth they also look to the other planets in our solar system and the sun itself. In this instance the recorded data of solar activity was compared to the “medieval warming period”, “the little ice age” and other significant events in earths temperature and correlations have been found. It is also known that not only is earths temperature rising but also the temperature on Mar’s and other planets and moons all the way out to Pluto and probably beyond.

Now with all of these piles of data crunched together, analyzed, charted and studied for hours, days and years…what is found?

It is found that over millions of years earth has gone through periods of extreme cold and extreme heat many times. There have been periods of extreme heat in which the average ocean temperatures were 5 to 15 degrees Celsius hotter than today and that my friends is hot.

So what does all of this mean…to me it means that with all of the pollution we pour into our atmosphere on a daily basis we are adding wood to an already burning fire that does not need any assistance from us.

With some of what I say it may appear that I disagree with the notion that we mere humans play any part in “global warming” but that is not true. I do believe that we have a great effect on this world we live on and I firmly believe that each and everyone of us should do everything we can to keep it as clean and free of pollution as we can. If everyone recycled and took care in what we do to our world it would be a better place for us and for the generations to follow. You might say…talk is cheap. Yes it is cheap but I recycle and do other things to help protect this world I live on and the world our children’s children will live on. What do you do besides talk?

So is there more to this “global warming” than meets the eye? Yes, I believe there is. I do believe we humans are having an adverse affect on our climate but I also believe there is a cycle of events at work that has been taking place for millions of years. I also believe that our sun plays a role in some of those events and perhaps there are things taking place beyond our sun and solar system that we don’t even know about that affect us here on earth more than we can imagine.

I could have quoted any of hundreds of studies by leading scientists on all sides of this issue but I did not want to put you through that…however if you would like that information for your reading enjoyment let me know and I will provide you with a list of books, some websites and a few published papers on the subject.

Post Wed Mar 28, 2007 5:00 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
LeahCF

Ooh. Awesome post! Bravo.

I've also heard theories that our earth will soon enter an Ice Age (in 20-50 years). The winters are milder, the summers are cooler, the snowfall is heavier. We're also on an orbit headed away from the sun. It's just a natural cycle of all planets.

But I agree, regardless if global warming is man-made or not we need to stop the deforestation, recycle, and worry about our population growth. I sometimes think of the earth as a living being we have a symbiotic relationship with. Sadly humans are like a parasitic infestation. Ideally we should give back as much as we take. Given the exponential growth of the human population we're going to run out of resources and drain our poor earth of all life.

At the least this global warming scare will enlighten the public on the precarious balance of our race and the natural world around us.

Post Wed Apr 25, 2007 12:30 pm 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by LeahCF:
Ooh. Awesome post! Bravo.

I've also heard theories that our earth will soon enter an Ice Age (in 20-50 years). The winters are milder, the summers are cooler, the snowfall is heavier. We're also on an orbit headed away from the sun. It's just a natural cycle of all planets.

But I agree, regardless if global warming is man-made or not we need to stop the deforestation, recycle, and worry about our population growth. I sometimes think of the earth as a living being we have a symbiotic relationship with. Sadly humans are like a parasitic infestation. Ideally we should give back as much as we take. Given the exponential growth of the human population we're going to run out of resources and drain our poor earth of all life.

At the least this global warming scare will enlighten the public on the precarious balance of our race and the natural world around us.

Leah,

We are here by her grace

Your reply reminded me of a poem I wrote...it was originally written to be centerd on the page...but that is hard to do here.

We stand here at her grace

Here is where it will take place…here upon earths face
Looking at earth from space…you do not see the rat race

What are we to do

Can you see the oceans soo blue…it is such a lovely view
Does anyone have a single clue…do you

Someday she will give a loud retort

How many can she support…is the number in the report
Her many resources we do extort…of this should we abort

Do you think she is just a toy

How much of her can we destroy…surely this she will not enjoy
Who is to be her envoy…in the end will it be as the city of Troy

We stand upon her ground

On her face there is surely a frown…once a smile could be found
How much longer will she be around…destruction is were we are bound

Ourselves we betray

Till the end she will stay…after humanity has long passed away
She will begin to heal upon that day…then we will press replay

Post Sat Apr 28, 2007 6:18 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
RedIsTheNewBlackBabe

best thing i can think of is Doris Day's Song

"When I was young, I fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be."

not so much about global warming but about our place in the world..

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 3:56 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by RedIsTheNewBlackBabe:
best thing i can think of is Doris Day's Song

"When I was young, I fell in love
I asked my sweetheart what lies ahead
Will we have rainbows, day after day
Here's what my sweetheart said.

Que Sera, Sera,
Whatever will be, will be
The future's not ours, to see
Que Sera, Sera
What will be, will be."

not so much about global warming but about our place in the world..

Red,

I love that song and it is true...what will be will be...however we can take steps to help make this world a better place to live and what we make of it is what it will be. Nobody can say what tomorrow will bring for us or even if tomorrow will come for me or you. All we can do is try to leave this world we live on in the best shape possible for our future generations...they are the ones who will reap what we sow...lets sow the seeds that will give them a wonderful world to live on.

Thank you for your wonderful reply

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:56 am 
Cavewoman

a little late... but! a few thoughts...

global warming is NOT a new concept... in the 60s it was predicted that within 50 years earth's climate would undergo radical changes in the upcoming 50 years if things weren't changed... its only ONE of the reasons that folks thought they were doing something by cleaning up the waters on this planet (we were also told we'd soon run out potable water).... etc.

and LO and BEHOLD! they were right!

i do believe in global warming... nobody can make up glaciers melting at the pace of yards and miles in a year vs. inches..... nobody can makeup polar ice caps breaking apart or the sea temperatures changing or the sea levels rising... nobody can pretend that "oddly" natural storms are getting stronger, more impacting...worldwide... pick your storm

as to Doris Day Smile my FIRST childhood crush.............."whatever will be will be"..... pretty lady..............

i suppose in the end, i'm just like most before me, i'm too lazy to walk, and i don't want to give up travelling, therefore... an auto... why? because i can't get enough time off work to take a horse, which would be totally cool but it already takes me hours to get where i am going (when i go), imagine taking a horse? would be cool though...

and yeah, ditto... we CAN all do something... but DO we?
i don't do all that i could... i could easily walk to work, but i don't.... although i have tried to pay attention the autos i purchase, and my only real claim to fame could be that i drive less than 20 miles a month... putting little pressure on the fossil fuel fields....

ya know what REALLY bothers me? we're cutting down the rainforest of the grand Amazon basin WAY faster than it can be replaced......now THAT scares me............

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 5:05 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by Cavewoman:
a little late... but! a few thoughts...

global warming is NOT a new concept... in the 60s it was predicted that within 50 years earth's climate would undergo radical changes in the upcoming 50 years if things weren't changed... its only ONE of the reasons that folks thought they were doing something by cleaning up the waters on this planet (we were also told we'd soon run out potable water).... etc.

and LO and BEHOLD! they were right!

i do believe in global warming... nobody can make up glaciers melting at the pace of yards and miles in a year vs. inches..... nobody can makeup polar ice caps breaking apart or the sea temperatures changing or the sea levels rising... nobody can pretend that "oddly" natural storms are getting stronger, more impacting...worldwide... pick your storm

as to Doris Day Smile my FIRST childhood crush.............."whatever will be will be"..... pretty lady..............

i suppose in the end, i'm just like most before me, i'm too lazy to walk, and i don't want to give up travelling, therefore... an auto... why? because i can't get enough time off work to take a horse, which would be totally cool but it already takes me hours to get where i am going (when i go), imagine taking a horse? would be cool though...

and yeah, ditto... we CAN all do something... but DO we?
i don't do all that i could... i could easily walk to work, but i don't.... although i have tried to pay attention the autos i purchase, and my only real claim to fame could be that i drive less than 20 miles a month... putting little pressure on the fossil fuel fields....

ya know what REALLY bothers me? we're cutting down the rainforest of the grand Amazon basin WAY faster than it can be replaced......now THAT scares me............

Cave,

A wonderful reply and I thank you for it.

It is no big secret that what we do to our environment directly affects us. It does not take someone holding a PHD to figure that out.

Yes we could all do something to help alleviate the problems that face us because of what we are doing to our environment and all to few of us do anything at all...why? Because to many people just don't give a damn...all they think about are themselves and the things that affect them TODAY. they don't care about how what they do TODAY will affect them tomorrow, five years from now or how it will affect their children and future generations twenty, fifty or one hundred years from now. Also there are to many big corporations that only care about money...and as long as they can make that money they will never care what they do to pollute our world especially if very few of us care what they do.

What bothers me more than anything is what we have done, are doing and probably will continue doing to our lakes, oceans and rivers and other sources of water. Our oceans are what keeps this world alive.

I know and I am sure you know this as well. There are people, companies and even governments that are doing things to help keep our worlds environment safe and clean for future generations. Could more be done? Of course more could be done and more is being done everyday. It is irritating for me to see people throwing garbage out of their cars as they drive down the road. It pisses me off even more when I see them throw a lit cigarette out the window…that makes me want to ram them off the road and beat the shit out of them.

The environment will take care of itself if it is left alone. I understand and know that we are a part of nature. Since we are a part of nature we should try to protect it and preserve the world we live on instead of destroying it. I also know that we will never leave the environment alone and since that is the case we need to help it as much as we can by keeping it as free of pollutants as possible and still maintain our standards of living. We do not have to stop driving autos or enjoying all the things we enjoy doing but we should think about what we do and think about ways that we can help while still going about our daily lives. There are things we can do to in our everyday lives to help alleviate the strain we are putting on our world. A few examples of what we can do are…recycle at home…promote a recycling program at work…turn off lights when you do not need them on…walk or ride a bike when you really don’t need to drive…make your opinions known to local, state and national governments…help others to get involved.

I am not talking about protecting the spotted owl or a national forest here…I am talking about preserving the world we live on from the pollution throw at it every day. Our world can and will heal itself if we allow it to do so and believe me…it will do it whether we are here help or not.

Could you imagine how much better it would be if every single one of us humans did something everyday to help protect our world from us? How much better would be in the long run if we all did something?

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 8:48 am 
LeahCF

Eiregirl, lovely poem. The message is clear and heartfully written. My favorite line is "Ourselves we betray".

Everything and everyone is connected on this planet. A small disturbance causes a ripple. One species (plants especially) brought to extinction can cause a domino effect. We, the human race, may just be the last domino in the line but the cascade is headed our way. It's only a matter of time.

But like in Eiregirl's poem, the dominos will be replaced one by one and the cycle of life will start from the very beginning all over again.

Post Mon Apr 30, 2007 7:03 pm 
LOSTANDFOUND

I feel very strongly on this issue. Here are some facts I thought you may find interesting:

If every household in the U.S. replaced a burned-out bulb with an energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent bulb, the cumulative effect is enormous. It would prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to that from nearly 800,000 cars. It would also save enough energy to light 2.5 million homes for a year.

Paper and cardboard

Recycling a four-foot stack of newspapers saves the equivalent of one 40-foot fir tree.

One tree can filter up to 60 pounds of pollutants from the air each year.

One ton of recycled paper saves 3,700 pounds of lumber and 24,000 gallons of water.

If every household in the U.S. reused a paper bag for one shopping trip, about 60,000 trees would be saved.

Recycling one ton of cardboard saves over nine cubic yards of landfill space.

Every ton of newspaper recycled saves enough energy to power a TV for 31 hours.

Recycling corrugated cardboard cuts the emissions of sulfur dioxide in half and uses about 25% less energy than making cardboard from virgin pulp.

If all morning newspapers read in this country were recycled, 41,000 trees would be saved daily and 6 million tons of waste would never end up in landfills.

Aluminum and Steel

Enough energy is saved by recycling one aluminum can to run a TV set for three hours or to light one 100 watt bulb for 20 hours.

Making cans from recycled aluminum saves 95% of the energy required to produce cans from virgin material.

Recycling a soda can saves 96% of the energy used to make a can from ore and produces 95% less air pollution and 97% less water pollution.

An aluminum can recycled today will be back on the grocery shelf in about 90 days.

Recycled steel is used to make new steel products including packaging, cars, lawnmowers, appliances, and construction materials.

Making new steel products from recycled steel instead of virgin ore reduces water use by 40%, water pollution by 76%, air pollution by 86%, and mining wastes by 97%.

For every ton of steel recycled, 2,500 pounds of iron ore, 1,000 pounds of coal and 40 pounds of limestone are preserved.

Enough energy is saved each year by recycling steel to supply the city of Los Angeles with almost a decade worth of electricity.
Glass

Making glass from recycled material uses 50% less energy than making virgin glass.

Recycled glass generates 20% less air pollution and 50% less water pollution than making virgin glass.

Glass never wears out - it can be recycled over and over again.

Over 41 billion glass containers are made each year.

Over a ton of resources is saved for every ton of glass recycled - 1,330 pounds of sand, 433 pounds of soda ash, 433 pounds of limestone, and 151 pounds of feldspar.

Producing a ton of glass from 100% raw materials creates 384 pounds of mining waste. Using 50% recycled glass cuts this waste by about 75%.
Plastic

Five recycled soft drink bottles make enough fiberfill for a man's ski jacket. Thirty-six recycled bottles can make one square yard of carpet.

Recycled soda bottles can be spun to make fiber filling for pillows, quilts and jackets.

Five soda bottles yield enough fiber for one extra large T-shirt.

It takes 25 two-liter bottles to make a sweater.

It takes 35 two-liter bottles to make enough fiberfill for a sleeping bag.

HDPE (detergent bottles, milk jugs, plastic yogurt containers) can be recycled into plastic pipes, plastic lumber, flowerpots, trashcans, or bottles used for non-food applications (for example, soaps).

Other facts

Recycling all of your home's waste newsprint, cardboard, glass, and metal can reduce carbon dioxide emissions by 850 pounds a year.

75% of our trash can be recycled.

My point in saying all of this is that we have more people on this planet than we have ever before...we hit 6 BILLION a while back. If we do not take a personal initiative to reduce, reuse and recycle we will eliminate all our natural resources and continue to harm our environment.

I don't have a recycle curbside pickup...on Saturday mornings I get my butt out of bed and take everything i have saved up during the week to the recycle drop off location. I know its not much but just think if everyone did this...it doesn't take much. My neice went with me one day and she asked why I didn't just throw away my trash like mommy did...so I explained it to her the best I could and guess what? Ol' sis and her family are recycling now!
It doesn't take much we just need to educate and communicate as a way of life rather than an ulitimatum.

Knowing something will not change your life.
Doing something will.

Post Fri May 04, 2007 12:46 am 
Eiregirl

Lost,

That was an excellent reply and I thank you very much for it.

The more garbage we produce without recycling the more we pollute our world...the more unlivable we make our world. Everything you said in your reply is true.

Can it be inconvenient for people to take the time to recycle? Yes it can be…but so what…it is more inconvenient to drink polluted water or not being able to breath. Spending a little extra money on things that can and do save energy around the home can more than pay for itself in the long run in more ways than just the money you will save. Recycling paper, glass, plastic and metals can provide you with a little bit of pocket change along with the benefits it provides to our environment. All the garbage dumped into our oceans every year is slowly but surely destroying them and the plankton that live in them…plankton…one of the essential links in the chain of life on this planet. Without them life for us would be gone in very short order. Phytoplankton absorb more CO2 and produce more oxygen than all plant life on earth and how do we show out thanks…by polluting the very oceans they live in…how pathetic does that make us? These tiny ocean plants do work in conjunction with the trees of our forests and the grass that grows on the ground…they all work together to keep this world alive for us to live on. The more of them we destroy is that much closer we come to destroying ourselves. The more we take without replacing is just one step closer to the end.

For all who are reading this…when I leave this world I want to leave it a better place for my daughter to live in…what kind of shape do you want to leave it in for the ones you love?

Eiregirl

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:02 am 
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by LeahCF:
Eiregirl, lovely poem. The message is clear and heartfully written. My favorite line is "Ourselves we betray".

Everything and everyone is connected on this planet. A small disturbance causes a ripple. One species (plants especially) brought to extinction can cause a domino effect. We, the human race, may just be the last domino in the line but the cascade is headed our way. It's only a matter of time.

But like in Eiregirl's poem, the dominos will be replaced one by one and the cycle of life will start from the very beginning all over again.

Leah,

Thank you very much for that wonderful reply Smile

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Fri May 04, 2007 5:03 am 
Cunni_L

Oh thank you for telling me about this discussion, admittedly it will take me several days to read everyones take on this, because I am stopping in the middle of chores and writing, and . . . but i read yours eiregirl and glanced at the first reply will keep coming back to get them all.

Thank you! what you said is just right on with me and that comment I made on that other thread. There is so much to be considered and I am sure there are variables and/or factors we don't even know to consider, and yes, we do add wood to the fire, in fact besides whatever else is happening (global warming etc.) we (humanity) are daily pouring gasoline on and lighting matches nearby. and i understand what the one side means to do, to scare people into treating the world better, but that's not the way, it won't work . Unfortunately, I hate to be a pessimist but I don't think we'll ever get everyone on-board with doing the right thing for the world, the best we can hope for is to get enough people on it that powers that legislate will set better standards in laws governing what is permissible and not.

Post Wed Jul 25, 2007 1:16 am 
luvinmomofone1

quote:
If every household in the U.S. replaced a burned-out bulb with an energy-efficient, ENERGY STAR qualified compact fluorescent bulb, the cumulative effect is enormous. It would prevent greenhouse gas emissions equivalent to that from nearly 800,000 cars. It would also save enough energy to light 2.5 million homes for a year.

that i can actually say i have done!! every single light in and outside of my house has been replaced with those new energy efficient bulbs you have mentioned!! i myself believe that they need to make it so if you have to drive you MUST carpool and everyone else either walk, bicycle, skate, or take a horse and buggy like the amish. or use a bus system to get around!! we need less cars on the roads or more green energy cars on the roads! at this point in time they KNOW we need an alternate cleaner fuel but the vehicles are soooo expesive and so is the fuel that not alot of ppl can afford them

my ideal house would be run by solar and wind power. but since i am not rich and cannot afford to buy a house let alone run it like i want..i have no say in that! global warming is real..weather we caused it or weather its a natural occurance the only thing we can do about it is everything we can do within our power to give back to the earth what we take so it can support us for our kids futures and thier kids futures and down the line!! i do what i can..its not much but i try!! we dont have a recycling place in our small rural town and i dont have a car to drive to one so i cannot recycle...as a matter of fact alot of really rural ppl dont even have trash pickup..they burn all their trash..what dont burn they make their own landfills on their own property and cover it up!! i used to have to do that but now i live in a town with water and trash instead of a well and burning!..i live in oklahoma and i can say i have seen the winters get warmer for the last 10 years for sure..when my son was small ...like 3 we used to get a good snowfall every summer..more than one sometimes and we are in southern oklahoma but now all we get are ice storms and sleet! the springs are milder too but when it storms the tornadoes that come out are alot bigger and stronger and do alot more damage..its funny tho the last 2 years we have hardly had any tornadoes in our area and we are in the middle of tornadoe alley!! not to say we havent had any..just not as frequently and not as many..but worse for what little in amt we have gotten! we used to have 4 seasons..now it seems like we have 2! there is practically no fall and no spring..it goes from 40 or 50 degrees one day to 80 the next and keeps rising til winter then its just the opposite..its 80 one day and 50 the next and it stays cold til summer! the changes are not subtle anymore and it scares me..but i feel that other than what little things i can do to do my part ....its not enuff and whats gonna happen for my son and his kids??

Post Fri Oct 26, 2007 10:49 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
awnidea

LOL

quote:

Eiregirl,

the only way I am to explain the question you have raised and writing thereafter is, your proclaiming you are from Andromeda and not of this planet.

That and, an apparent and maybe a more logical deduction that, it is material from a "Propaganda Department" of NSA (No Such Agency) or something of the "sort", that aims to "infiltrate" and "monitor" the "subjects of communities".

my truth

Smile
awnidea

Post Sun Oct 28, 2007 4:18 pm 
Khaleesi
Moderators

awnidea,

If you have an some factual evidence to bring to the debate then please do so, otherwise do not treat a longstanding respected member of the site with such with such contempt.

Khaleesi

Never start a row in public when it can be settled politely in private. ~My Father~

Post Tue Oct 30, 2007 9:58 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: