BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Mels Campout and Meet-Ups!

Mels 2007 Campout, Vacation, Meeting...
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dueceswild

If we did the end of may or begining of June it would be great. the water would be warm enough and tipically hurricains don't start hitting until late june. (even if the season starts june 1st) Late may makes it even cheaper! I don't know why but the thought of going to a place like disney with everyone just seems like a memory I would NEVER forget! (a good one mind you LOL)
I'm not against September either however hurricain season isn't over until October just as an FYI.
Plus I was thinking that the airfare for those that have to fly would be cheep cause Orlando is a major airport. There are those of us that could drive, so the need to rent a car would be quite small.
If we do this I am w/ you cave I would have to insist on a registration of some sort, and a deposit. I would idealy like to set a date 9 months b4 we want to go and have the reservation in place no less than 6 months b4 we go to ensure we can get it for the date we choose.
Other than picking 1 person to be in charge of the registration and depost, does anyone know how that could work, we can't all send our seporate deposits to the person renting out the home. Could we setup an account at a bank for this? If yes how? I think renting a home instead of staying in a hotel or camp ground will require a lot of trust in one person. Perhaps a leagal document of some sort to go with the registration that binds the $ to the person giving the deposit could be arranged. Saying that the $ given to____________ is specifically for ____________ to reserve a spot in the rental home on the dates of _________ thru ___________. It would have to be noterized, but I don't see why that wouldn't work.... Any thoughts? I'm just thinking that it is going to be a large sum of $ handed over to 1 person. And I love you all, but I have been screwed over by more than 1 BEST friend in my lifetime. I hope noone takes offence to my raising the issue, but I don't think that I will be the only one w/ these concerns.

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:38 pm 
Dueceswild

I also liked the idea of renting a house because we have axcess to a kitchen, grill, pool, semi private bathrooms, and all the houses come fully stocked, just add people, food and drinks for a good time. Most of these say sleeps 16. but I have no problem making a room for sleeping bags or cots if that is what we have to do.
And yes Cave the last one on the list was one of my fav's too, thou I liked them all.

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 10:46 pm 
Cavewoman

May is good for us but then I also wonder of the ladies with children who once spoke of attending. That being said, I don't see any commentary being posted.

I don't like the idea of going AFTER hurricane season... only because of the deposit system. If a storm does it and we're wiped out, well, it makes it one big pain in the butt to return the money AND run the risk of losing our deposit on any particular home we might choose to rent for a week.

Deposit system... well, I like it primarily for the idea of commitment to attendance. At first I debated that an 8 bedroom would not be big enough, then I came to the thinking you also came to which is toss a sleeping bag on the floor. BUT, if attendance commitment suddenly skyrockets we also have to be extremely mindful of the rental agreements which usually state a maximum occupancy and adhere to it. I really don't want to be tossed out on my butt for exceeding the stipulated occupancy level. Wonder if a couple of those homes are in the same community?

I also like the idea of getting the deposit system fully rigged and operational fast... I've rented in Florida before, running the risk of renting only 6 months out is a big risk - Phyllis and I usually have our rental in place about 9 months in advance. Especially the nicer homes, they go fast.

I am not going to volunteer to hold the money at this point because a decision as to where we are going has not been made. What does that mean? It means that whatever the concencus finally is, if Phyllis chooses to not attend, then I too, will likely not attend; therefore, would be pointless of me to wind up in the position of a treasurer of sorts. If we do decide to join in the event, then I have no problem holding the cash and have NEVER screwed up that position. I simply don't do things like that. Want it in a seperate account? Well, ok, but it would simply be a seperate savings account opened in my name... but Deuce? since you're in Morgantown and I'm in Washington, perhaps we could meet somehow and open it in both our names.... which also means, as the trip approaches, we'd have to meet again right prior to leaving to withdraw the cash.... sounds like a pain in the butt to me...but... those are my thoughts.

Red Cliffs = I'm gonna email them right now to see if I can get some rates. I like the idea of Arches National Monument 2 miles away, Bryce Canyon 2 hours away and the Grand Canyon 4 hours away... I also am intrigued by a night river/dinner cruise down the Colorado at sunset and a possible 4X4 adventure into Bryce itself.... horseback trail rides, etc.... Uncertain though about those cabins though..... still I'm gonna check.

My top three at this point are Costa Rica, Florida or southwest... Anybody care to join their opinion here?

Post Sun Jul 09, 2006 11:34 pm 
chordphrute

i'm going to agree with all three of your top three, Cave. Screw Hurricane Season as a deterrent. I'll be there and we'll be ready for the weather - I'm a veteran evacuee. I'll bring my ax, my MRE's, and a lifeboat and we're good to go. Smile

Seriously though - I think we should chat more about possible dates.. How long do we want to go for this time? At this point I'm good and free from mid-May-mid-July. What about you ('you' being all-inclusive)? Maybe a poll is in order?

There are lots of neat ideas but its hard to narrow it down furthur until we have prospective dates and therefore, a prospective amount of bodies attending.. that is - if 10-15 of us go, renting a house would rock. If 40 of us go, that's kind of out of the question, right?

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:00 am 
Cavewoman

ditto chord... Phyl and I are good mid April through mid July...

I'm still waiting on replies to several email inquiries ... Red Cliffs (Moab, Utah), The Highlands (NH), Hotel Del Mar (Costa Rica)... just to satisfy my curiousity and/or obtain info.

a poll, huh?... ok...

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 2:13 am 
Cavewoman

Just received this from Hotel Del Mar --- Costa Rica

Hola Bonnie!

What an interesting proposition you've dropped on my e-doorstep today! Your group sounds like a lot of fun.

Thank you so much for writing in regard to Hotel del Mar providing accommodations for your group in May of 2007. I am sorry that our online availability is limited to producing results for one room at a time, hence it was trying to put 20 people in one room. Although our rooms are spacious compared to others in our price class, to put 20 people in one would require them to be very, very good friends, which of course they would no longer be when the gathering had finished.

Thankfully you were smart enough to outwit the system, and as you know, the hotel is available for May. Yes, we do rent out the whole hotel to groups (most often groups of students traveling together but once a whole family of Norwegians - complete with ex-wives and ex-husbands). The thing that makes it a little tricky is that all our rooms do not provide equal accommodations. Four rooms do not have air conditioning which allows us provide a place for budget travelers and those who don't like air conditioning, and three rooms have king size beds. The latter is easy to remedy as we can convert the king beds to two twin beds if desired.

So 20 people would be comfortable in 10 rooms and at 2006 rates (which is what you'd have if you reserve in 2006) it would cost $460 per night plus taxes or $535 per night. That's the four rooms at $40 and 6 rooms at $50. If you decide you really want the two other rooms, they can be $50 per night also. Maybe someone will want to bring their daughter or something of that sort. That's the standard rate-card rate. Why did I tell you all that? So you can see how much you'll SAVE, of course! LOL! The group rate is twenty percent less, or $368 per night plus taxes ($428 per night) with additional rooms at $40.

That rate includes the continental breakfast (fresh fruit, pastries, coffee, tea, juice, milk, and cheese). Most of the excursions or tours include a meal, so if you decide you all want to go on a canopy safari zip-line tour, for example, it includes lunch. That's actually a good activity for a large group, by the way.

Generally, we don't offer any additional meals. If it is very important to you, however, we do have a couple of options. I know several wonderful chefs who could be available to come in and prepare an evening meal. They usually offer a salad, a choice of two entrees, two sides, and a dessert for about $9-$12 per person. If this appeals to you, I would make the arrangements and pay the chef directly.

The other option is to send your group out to restaurants that we've made arrangements with in the past. The only hitch is that the restaurant industry is very competitive all over, and my favorite today may be gone by May (for any number of reasons it would seem), so I would be hard pressed to prepare a quote for this option further than 90 days in advance. This isn't really the case with the private chef option, because the individual may come and go, but he or she is always replaced. And hotel chefs are always looking for outside jobs.

As for the rainfall, May is still a wonderful time to visit. Most days start off sunny and hot until late afternoon or early evening when the showers come. They're usually just ordinary showers, unlike October when the rain comes and settles in for days at a time, and you start to envy the fish. By ordinary, I mean to say they last for 20 minutes or and hour then end. Like the rest of the world, however, Costa Rica has also been experiencing strange and extreme weather conditions recently. Another good thing about May is that it's really not very busy. April has the Easter holiday travelers, June and July have the rush of college students and families with school-age children, and August has the Europeans fat with too many vacation days. Nobody, it appears, has laid claim to May.

For transfer from the airport in San Jose, I can only provide you with information for the current season. A micro bus can be hired for $200 each way. In the morning, I'll contact some providers and see if any are willing to commit to a reservation for your group and let you know more exactly. I'll check with the air charters as well just so you have that option.

Now as for this rowdiness, you'll be much too tired to cause any REAL disturbance. And if you should find yourselves capable of trying, we aren't the sort to interfere. Actually, our configuration of shared balconies sometimes results in spontaneous parties among former strangers. It's a wonderful thing to witness and experience. People are so much more open when they travel here.

Well I think I covered it all, and probably more than you wanted to know. If you still have any questions, please don't hesitate to ask.

All my best,

David Ralston
Owner
Hotel del Mar

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:22 am 
Cavewoman

Palm Springs, California
http://www.peppertreepalmsprings.com/

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 6:44 am 
Dueceswild

I agree with your top 3 as well Cave.
*Utah is in the middle, so perhaps more will be able to meet.
*Costa Rica is exotic, yet affordable, and romantic.
*FL is fun for everyone.

Personally I think that FL or Utah would work out better for everyone. Having traveled in large groups many times with my prior job (with me usually being the person that has to put it all together). I think the perks are.... We wouldn't have to worry about spending extra $ on food, we could bring it and cook it ourselves, but I don't want just one or 2 people being stuck with cooking all the time, hell if we just split ourselves into 3 groups we could each cook one meal a day and clean up after one meal a day. That breaks up the work load for every one!

Now as for how long this outing is to be, most of the rental homes in FL require a 7 day stay. Now we could do that a bunch of ways, I prefer that we pay per person perday. But we need to have a commitment of howmany people are going b4 we truely know how much it will be a day. The first step I think has been taken and that is to figure out WHEN this gathering will be.

And as for the deposit sytem, I like having 2 people to set it up, you have a great point! But like you said it is a matter of meeting, and I don't live in Morgantown I live in Martinsburg, so thats a 3 hour drive from me to you not an hour. But we might be able to work something out with a bank so that we can use 2 differnt branches maybe and only need to meet up once in FL to withdrawl, but we have to pick a pretty big bank chain to be in FL, PA and WV, but with a little research I could find one I think.....

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 3:43 pm 
Dueceswild

So after talking to S about next year, we both decided that we really like the idea of FL.
So I vote for FL.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 5:45 pm 
Cavewoman

Monday, June 10 just received this.....

Hi Bonnie, Thanks for your inquiry-this is a wonderful spot year round! We definitely welcome groups, but don't have camping space per se. When are you thinking of having this function? That would affect the rate I could offer. Would you have it if only 10-20 come? If you only rent a few rooms, other guests would be here. We have 19 guest rooms and do have a 1st floor bathroom and shower that could be used by campers-but it's just one! We have plenty of land for camping, but the bathrooms could be an issue. Our rooms range from $110-210 per night with breakfast and we would require a deposit up front of 1/2. I'd need to think a bit about camping price and possible #s of women we could fit comfortably. There are excellent restaurants nearby and we have 2 gas grills here. I'll attach our receptions and groups flyer so you can see the rooms we have, etc. I'd be happy to send some brochures if you give me an address-though having everyone check out our website is probably easiest. I'm very happy to work with lesbian groups, so talk with some of your members and get back to me with time frame, etc. Most expensive would be July, August and October. Thanks and hope to see you in 2007 or before! Best wishes. Grace

The Highlands Inn
1-877-LES-B-INN (537-2466)
http://www.highlandsinn-nh.com

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:47 pm 
Cavewoman

1 seed sent this

Hey Cave

Here is a possible site in Council Groves Kansas and info from a friend.

Sharon Haun

Office 620-767-5165

White Memorial Camp
E-mail Address(es):
wmcucc@cgtelco.net

There are, I don't know, probably at least six cabins. The one I stayed in had two bedrooms, two baths, a kitchen/living room combo with a fireplace, each bedroom had three sets of bunks...I think... so would sleep twelve. Some cabins are smaller. The place was built in the 50's I believe, it's not fancy or anything but a great get away. You bring your own sheets, towels etc. I believe there are pots and pans, plates etc. The rates are real reasonable.

Sharon is a neat lady, very interesting and has a wonderful pleasant personality. I work with her on several committees, she's in her mid sixties and is a good friend. She is a straight lady, divorced for 25 years and really was helpful to me during my coming out process.

Yes, right here in Council Grove. White Memorial Camp is on a private peninsula at the Council Grove reservoir and I am good friends with the lady that runs the camp. It has nice cabins with bunks, little kitchens, fire circles, walking paths, a pool, volleyball, canoeing, a large dining hall / meeting room with big screen TV. You can just rent cabins or you can rent the entire place. You would want to book ahead if it's during the summer, she stays pretty busy.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 7:56 pm 
Cavewoman

Gay/Lesbian Resort Costa Rica
http://hotel-casablanca.server1.de/en/

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 11:53 pm 
Dueceswild

I'm out for The Highlands- I can't afford $110 a night per person, sorry. I don't want to spend all of my $ on this trip, I would like $ to do other things, and if I'm spending that much on room and board then I'm not going to have much left over and that will be spent on food basically!

And I recently learned that Costa Rica can be pretty unsafe at times, that isn't something that I am comfortable with, call me chicken shit, but thats just me. So it will take some MAJOR talking into to get me to go there. It better be one hell of GREAT deal.

Can we make 1 list of all the options? make a poll. And ONLY the people who plan to attend need to vote. Please don't get offended by that statement, but I don't think that someone who isn't even planning on comming should vote. So Cave when you have finished searching all of the places that you would like to investigate, I think that we should have a poll as to where we will have it, that I think will move us to the next step.

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:02 am 
Cavewoman

I hear ya loud and clear Deuce......I'm still waiting to hear from Red Cliffs... you've read Highlands and Costa Rica's response...so what have we narrowed this down to?

Florida
and......................?

more than happy to post a poll but I'm not sure what we're offering....

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:27 am 
Dueceswild

Utah I guess FL and Utah.....

Post Tue Jul 11, 2006 1:30 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: