BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Mels Campout and Meet-Ups!

THE CAMPERS @ SWIFTWATERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Cavewoman

After a solid week hanging across the line, Phyllis and I did the final sweep of the supply (Mama) tent, folded, rolled and stuffed it into its sack. Commenting all the while about how many feet had traipsed in and out, how we would arrange supplies and food items next time, debating creating some small plaster bucket anchors for the midwall lines, sort of missing the giant 35 x 35 tarp we left behind, trying to figure a way to hang a lantern top and center for evening tent raids, and marvelling at how well the old girl held up.

Mama tent now hangs from its peg in the basement, clean, aired and ready for the next adventure.

I miss camp. I wish we were only just now pulling into the backyard to unload. I miss the voices and faces I came to know as my normal day. I miss the new food creations, the sand, the bugs, the heat, the gurgling stream. I miss the peace and quiet, the outhouse, the water station, the garabage dump. I miss the low mumble of ladies conversing beyond the bushes. I miss the easy laughter echoing down the river. I miss the pitter and patter of rain in the tree tops. I even miss stinky Willie brushing against my jeans looking for handouts. I miss dribbling peaches, hot coals, citronella bucket candles in the distance, the "Clampett" cabins, chucking spent butts into the pit, the never ending flow of dirty dishes, fishing in the cooler box for everything, rummaging in Mama tent for the buns, the onions, the whatever. I miss strolling through the cane field or down the sandy tire tracks holding Phyl's hand and waving hello in the distance to a small group of women i met online and now have been privileged enough to get to know in person. I miss listening to chosen verses and nervously rendered stories. I miss anticipating what next I might learn from these unique ladies of the globe. I miss cleaning out the dutch oven and scrubbing the griddle. I miss the slowly clearing eyes of sleepy ladies in midmorning gazing at the slow coals simmering our bacon or sausage. I miss the orange fire reflection around camp at night in the wide awake eyes of hard working ladies content to spend the evening just sitting. I miss all of it.

Putting the tent away always signals the end of a camping adventure for me.

I'm looking forward to the next.

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 11:12 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

Thank you all for the camp descriptions. The week sounds like it was no less than enchanting. I'm glad to hear everyone made it home safe and relatively unscathed. I'll be poking my head in to see how plans for 2007 shape up.

Post Mon Jul 10, 2006 1:23 am 
realwoman

The Chronicle on the Food at Camp - The List

Eventually I get a chance to start to do this – The Chronicle on the Food at Camp – the most important part of camp – and without asking or looking for excuses, the difficulty with this was probably the fact that it seems that camp was a place that existed without time, where our actions was directed by food and the activities associated with food, whatever your taste may be….

There are so many images about camp that keeps popping up in my head, images of waking up with the sun in your face and your second thought is “wondering what Phyllis conjured up for breakfast”, making fire to cook food, driving to the shop to buy food, giggling in the aisles while hunting food-making-items at Krogers, laughing while chopping stuff that are to become food, “resting” or ‘taking a nap’ after eating too much at lunch, doing “stuff” to build up a hunger that would do justice to the next meal, waiting for dinner to be cooked, and so forth, and so on, all flowing into each other

I have however rescued my ‘journal, and will try and give an appropriate account of What We Ate (Real Food, ok!)

Let me start by giving you an example of the first shopping list – it should give you an idea of what I am talking about, that is IF I can decipher these scratched through words on this crumpled piece of paper, originally written in Hawn’s scrawl (seeing the image of her writing it on her knee…. mmm mmm mmm) ….before I digress, here goes (as written):

Cutting Board
Helluva good sour cream (2)
Torlillas
Garlic – big ones
Rice bacon
Hersheys
Marshmellows
Crackers
Ginger ale
Zippo lighter fluid
Lemonade
Kingsford dutch light
Block of cheese
ice
vadalia onions
peaches
potatoes
tomatoes
eggs
avoCADO
plastic scrubby
mushrooms
bread – wheat
butter
lettuce
tomatoes (yes, it was on twice)
frozen hash brown
bisquick
oj
lemons

Armed with this list, as well as the directions to Krogers (in Dawson, Georgia) cryptically written on the back of a till slip, we set off on your first shopping trip…

To be continued….

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Fri Jul 21, 2006 3:28 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: