BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Mels Campout and Meet-Ups!

THE CAMPERS @ SWIFTWATERS
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Khaleesi
Moderators

After much fun at camp it was nice to have a good clean shower and a soft bed! As for a safe arrival home...after hydroplaning on the interstate in a downpour of rain and playing bumper cars Tweety is a little worse for wear. Nothing major and no injuries, thank goodness. i guess that's what insurance is for....lol. All in all a great time.

slaveofMistress

Never start a row in public when it can be settled politely in private. ~My Father~

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 10:15 pm 
Mairi bheag

Thank heaven you weren't on a * gulp * Harley. Wink

Mb
xx

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 3:40 am 
Eiregirl

I am very happy everyone had a wonderful time Smile

Just sad we were not able to be there Sad

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 6:22 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Cavewoman

We finally made it home after struggling for three days in to drive through a wall of unending water to complete a normally hassle free 11 hour drive. We saw at least 10 semi's spin sideways in moving traffic, too many to count spin outs, nearly got run over or shoved off the road 6 times (because of too much water on the roadways - everybody hydroplaning trying to just keep moving or get stopped in time ). Although we very much enjoyed our extra "outings" in Mount Airy and Wytheville.....we eventually arrived home today at 2:30pm

the truck is unpacked, most everything has been cleaned/washed and neatly stored for the next outing... dutch oven, fry pans, griddle, pots, pans freshly oiled ... the last laundry load will be done tomorrow (dish towels)... MOST of the peaches made it one piece... how's that sweet summer relish Slave? we haven't opened the peach jam yet, but its front and center on the shelf.....am savoring the last of our Amarula, which Crying or Very sad we cannot purchase in PA... (surprise Rolling Eyes ).....

all in all, as Slave said (glad to hear you are okay after your spin out Slave AND that you found a nice dry, roomy bed to sleep in ... been on the scales lately? Laughing ), and cupcakes said (bugs and all = you pulled through like a trooper Wink ) we did enjoy ourselves and learned much of one another... AND, if you want to know everything we learned, well.... see you at the next one !!!!!

We ate like queens, no puns intended, but ladies, we ladies of Mels seem to be damn fine cooks, among other things.....Our vows renewal ceremony was fabulous and we've reread and reflected on the evening many many times since Saturday night. Its a darn shame the rain tried to drown us out over the weekend but actually, i think we handled it quite well.

Monday... arrive, establish camp, actual hugs vs. (((((*)))))... a novelty in and of itself.... i forget what we ate that night Laughing .. a general getting to know one another... and nobody wrote it all down that i know of (but I'm just now wondering if perhaps Real made some significant notes in her journal alonside the menu plan)... AND, BUT, Monday, that is the evening that Taters and Melbatoast came visiting, two gloriously freindly local ladies that lurk regularly at Swiftwaters ... a most wonderful encounter in the mountains of Georgia... two fabulous women .... Melba if you're reading this... Exclamation THANK YOU Arrow

Then commenced a week of excellent eating, getting to know one another, trying to keep camp tidy, toting wood and water, trying to stay clean and dry or wet and clean, shopping for meal ingredients and ice and liquor, cooking, reading poetry, chatting a bit about all the other fabulous women at Mels, telling of our homes and lives, camp tasks, (sex, of course.... BINGO), exchanging realities, secrets, smiles and sharing walks in the bamboo, tubing down the river, or playing jarts in the field

listening to Real's booming guidance gurgling down past camp tubing in the river,

marveling at Hawn's gentle ways,

watching Slave's fire building skills improve as the week passed,

keeping a watchful eye for where Wolf might appear from this time OR note her disappearance or the Shocked Laughing after her outing to Pride Atlanta,

then there was Princess' absolutely stunning Jambalaya and twinkling grin across the camp fire... hubbly bubbly

Cupcake's bravery blossomed with each passing day in the world of bugs and dirt and running mountain streams (no matter what she may tell you) ..

Phyllis and I? well, we adjourned into our pine shrouded path and soaked in the jacuzzi nightly and shared many quiet moments together on our deck......

I just can't remember it all right now ladies...... but it was fun, and it WAS well worth meeting face to face, putting faces and voices and mannerisms and exchanged grins over campfires to the LOLs and Shocked Very Happy Sad Crying or Very sad Embarassed Rolling Eyes Twisted Evil Cool of chat.... very well worth the time and effort.

We learned a lot about each other and about ourselves. Just this moment, i am in sore need of a hot shower and this soft chair feels absolutely excellent on my little butt...... I'll update tids and tads as they come to mind, but just now, its all too fresh - too many smiles, too many sauntering ladies, too many rain drops, too many hubbly-bubbly moments to just slap on screen.

p.s. hubbly-bubbly made it home just fine !!!!! THANK YOU.... Amarula? well, we bought another bottle in Wytheville on Tuesday and celebrated in splendor a delayed Monday anniversary celebration in a room of our own tucked safe and warm inside away from the deluge outside....

To all the ladies who attended Mels First Campout... congratulations on a "job" very well done..... some of our time was easily lighthearted, other moments were not, but in the end, be proud of yourselves, (especially the glorious vows renewal celebration you so graciously provided for Phyllis and I) ...we learned a lot ... we did very well... and i'm looking forward to meeting more of the ladies of Mels...

p.p.s.s.... a reminder to all who attended, "What happened in camp, stays in camp"...... just in case, Sunday evening was too heady and you forgot our parting words.... Cool

Shall we do another?

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:06 am 
Mdm Prez

Cave

It's so nice to read all about camp. It sounds like it was a ball. Your post here is quite descriptive and I so enjoyed picturing it all.
Glad everyone arrived safely back home.
You were missed very much.

Cat

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:43 am 
Cavewoman

medical report from camp:
Cave = wasp sting
Real = stone/dirt in sole of foot, small burn
Wolf = spider bite
Hawaii = pulled back
Princess = ivy? small burn
Cupcakes = minor altercation with scorpion in bed (the 8 legged type)
Slave = achey shoulder
everybody = bumps and bruises

p.s.... thanks for the Cupcakes addition, I knew i was forgetting something... who did that?

Last edited by Cavewoman on Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:56 pm 
Cavewoman

Daily report from camp?

1. We barely and then rarely had cell phone connection service.
2. We had no net connection.
3. We also had way too interesting a time 24/7 to hang on the computer.
4. We did not keep a journal... too busy with cooking, eating, cleaning and in general, just hanging out with each other.

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 5:58 pm 
Cavewoman

Base camp itself consisted of a medium sized clearing under the trees, alongside what the folks in Georgia called a river, (back home we call it a crick) which until the rains fell was crystal clear, cool, and averaged 1-4 feet deep with a constant healthy flow which permitted tubing around the bends and turns, fallen trees. Often, one had to "bed" the tube (pick up yer butt and stretch straight across the tire innertubes) else whack your behind on any and several rock bottoms, most of which would be considered excellent cobble. Pyrite or fool's gold sparkled everywhere in the sunshine.

The main office was at the lower end of a long hill which signalled camp's physical beginning (after creeping down a mile long, unpaved entrance vehicle trail through the trees - two tire tracks pressed by tree limbs). Phyl and I stayed in the Celebration Room on the backside of the main office/Joce & Pat's home... our deck overlooked the river. Hawn, Real, Princess and Cupcakes stayed in two very rustic cabins absolutely uphill of us in the trees, pine slab sided with high lower walls and ringed more or less by screened openings in the frame work. They were rustic but did have some basic services such as electric, running water and a toilet.

Leaving the main office, wind left, then hairpin right down to the bamboo flats where one first encountered the many "work" sheds of tools and such, wander a bit left into a field rimmed by trees and nearly choked with bamboo, to find the water spigot and a beat up 2 x4 table called the dish station. A locale we all know quite well, having hauled approximately 16 gallons into base camp daily. One could walk through a mowed side hallway of sorts around the bamboo field toward basecamp OR drive the car tracks around the other side of the field. Driving one would pass the family camping area, little areas cleared in the bamboo and trees edgeing the river, then pass into a larger well groomed field to the left where some ladies from Atlanta have permanently parked a railroad caboose which they utilize when visiting Swiftwaters. Continue following the car path around the field, you enter a larger field, cleared and mowed. To the right was the wood stack which we also regularly visited, burning on average 10 logs per evening after the dutch oven cooking completed just after sundown. Parking along a tree line was to the left (no lines, no pavement) just park against the trees. OR continue driving directly into the tree past the two-hole outhouse with a lavendar door on the left, volleyball net to the right which is also where the wash station trail exited.

So... drive into the trees, hang a quick left into more trees, over some roots, wind a bit left, straighten out, go about 20 yards, hang another quick left, park quick. Watch the ivy at the base of the tree on the left, don't run over our wood stack on the right. And voila, there was base camp. A large storage tent held our food, extra gear, and often served as Wolf's night sleeping quarters. Just to the right of mama tent, was Slave's tent, yellow (of course), one person dome - the keeper of our fire. About 15 feet from those two tents, was our circle of stuff, cooler boxes (kula box), cooking racks, ring of chairs, tree stumps, rickety 2 x4 benches (we busted two without trying). In the center was our fire ring, about 6 feet by 3 feet which held the beloved warm charcoal pile, dutch oven, griddle, and pots. Continue past the fire ring was a picnic table, our work table which held the liquor, bug repellent, candles, cutlery boxes, spice boxes, cutting board, work space, dishes and served as our buffet table. On the crick end of the table was an area beside the lantern post which served as a lemon and canteen rack (NEVER pour cold water into a warm dutch oven). .. at its foot we washed dishes and hands. Running along the crickside of camp was the clothesline which variously held washclothes, dish towels, bath towels, tshirts, the pot lid holder, match sticks, oven rack scraper. The crick was easily accessed walking down a skinny path about 15 feet into the water via a teensy weensy beach.

Exiting camp, hang a quick left, pass by two other campsites continuing left, shoot out from under the trees into the field, passing by the garbage station with the outhouse about 20 feet behond. Hang a right and go back the way you came.

I'll post more but just now, I have to shower and resume my much more mundane work life.... See y'all later.

Anybody got any photos up yet?

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:18 pm 
melons
Site Admin

Cave

(((((((((((Cave)))))))))) xx

It's great to have you back and I have read all your posts quite literally enthralled and look forward to many more, plus some pics in the gallery. Of course I am at an advantage over most here because I had a preview of many pics when I met Real and 4th in London on Wednesday Very Happy . The ceremony held for you and Phyllis looked fab and I am so happy everyone had a great time.

I'm eagerly awaiting the next installment Smile

love and hugs

Mel xx

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:28 pm 
Cavewoman

Having just awakened this sunny Friday Noon, at my home, in my bed, this first Friday since camp..... to a lawnmower buzzing beneath my window... I shuffled to Mel's to check the day... my mind wanders back to morning at camp.... Oddly, I usually woke around 9A to the sound of a swift river gurgling about 30 feet below our deck... sat up to gaze through slowly clearing eyes at Phyllis peacefully stretched in a wrought iron chair on our deck puffing a cigarette and sipping coffee... she was watching a couple squirrels building a nest in a tall Oak tree across the stream. The squirrels down at base camp she named Stinky and Stinky 2 (I have no idea why). And I can't recall what she named the squirrels up at the deck. A couple humming birds always visited the various feeders Joyce and Pat hung in the nearby trees. Blue Jays, two pair of Cardinals, several wrens and a pair of Blue Birds flitted and tweeted and squawked the morning woods. No overhead jet booms, no traffic noise. Just Phyllis in the shrouded green glory of a Georgia morning in her seersucker nightshirted laze sipping coffee. Sometimes, any of Joyce's three cats was sprawled in the shade of our little deck or nesting on Phyllis' lap. Eventually she would turn to check on my waking progress and the grand beauty of her beaming smile spurred me to action.

We'd scrub our face, pull on our bathing trunks, a shirt of some sort, slide into soggy shoes of the night before, pack a day bag (bug repellent, flash light, dry shirt, extra cigs, extra lighter, spare condiments from our small fridge, a banana for me), slowly trapse the path from our hideout onto the main vehicle path. Glancing uphill through the trees, occassionally there would be activity or soft voices creeping down the path from the cabins. Usually, the white jeep waited at the ready while Hawn, Real, Princess and Cupcakes gathered their wits on cool morning porches.

Joyce and Pat's dogs, Willie (a large black dog) slowly greeted our arrival at the truck accompanied by Callie (a smaller black/grey dog) barking her silly head off and scratching her arthritic back on a shrub. We'd climb into the truck, crunch along the rocky vehicle path toward camp. Entering camp slowly, the evidence of last night's campfire gathering was scattered about... tipped over benches, chairs facing a million directions, citronella bucket candles scattered, various liquor bottles haphazardly stretched across the table, very little trash but some, empty cups, forgotten lighters or T-shirts, the oddball fork on the table... Phyl and I would slowly begin the process of cleaning up, just quiet enough to wake Slave and Wolf from their slumber. The creek gurgled along to the morning bird orchestra. Slave's little popup zipper tick tick tick opened, she'd sit cross legged in the screen entryway, rubbing her eys and eventually greet us with her customarily slow, "mornin y'all"... Then the large tent flap would zip open to reveal Wolf's quiet "hi"....

Within about 20 minutes, we'd have walked the garbage bag to the dump, loaded empty water jugs into the truck, cleaned out the fire pit, gotten a new bed of charcoal underway, assembled breakfast ingredients, washed down the table, gathered last night's citronella buckets to a central locale and begun to assemble the supply for a day's invasion of sandy feet.

Phyl & I hopped into the truck headed back to the water station to refill the jugs, Slave and Wolf completed their morning wake up routine. Usually, while filling the jugs at the water hose, the white jeep passed us on the road to camp. By the time we'd return, Hawn, Real, Princess and Cupcakes had joined in the morning routine and breakfast food was beginning to resemble a meal. The sun by now had climbed higher into the trees throwing patches of sunshine variously onto the forest floor. Cast iron cooking implements were clanging. The low morning tones of waking women beginning to verbally communicate gradually hummed our brains to life. Real would tell us yet another story of her life in South Africa sitting on a lost homemade bomb and blowing up her hand.... or of lions lurking in the shadows of night time camp fires..... Hawn would smile and shake her head slowly, curls gently bobbing, before adding another soft "its amazing you're alive", Cupcakes would squirm at the approach of buzzing something and we'd all grin reassurance as she "ewwww'd" and spun away, Princess in her ever steady and efficient manner continued to chop vegetables and call for cooking supplies, Slave stirred the fire from her green chair perch, Phyllis puffed another cigarette asking me to find something else in the tent while more than likely cupcakes had already slipped in behind me and located the item. Wolf? Where was wolf? The woman is a genius at quietly disappearing only to reappear with a pet snail and another log for the woodpile .

The charcoal bed was never level, our eggs invariably spilled off the end of the griddle... we all became very accustomed to our "pound of dirt a day". With a plate full of food balanced in her lap, Real juggled our food journal and negotiated the shopping list of the day... Hawn always fulll of practical suggestions tailored our input to something more realistic. I cruised the tent and table for snacks and seconds. We truely ate like queens. Every meal blessedly delicious and much appreciated. Our lives centered on food and fire and trying to keep the blasted supply tent tidily arranged. Eventually, breakfast bellies would fill - the dishes got done in our Tidy Cat 30# bucket of soapy water with clear water rinse, dried, restacked, the plan for dinner was finalized... and then we'd part to the next phase of our day... shopping for more food... OR.... some more precious few hours of solitude...

Yes, we parted company for a couple more hours... Phyl and I back to our room on the hill, the other ladies back to their cabins, OR shopping, it seems that every day a run to at least, the Chevron station about 5 miles away for ice was needed (along with alchohol and cigs OR scractch off tickets to keep that smile of Phyllis' perky). Wolf went off to do camp chores for Joyce and Pat. Slave kept a watch on camp and took advantage of some private time to shower, etc.

In the afternoon, we tubed down the river, hung around the slow charcoal bed chatting, played Jarts in the open field, Wolf caught some fish, (according to Taters and Melbatoast there was a trail that led off behind Hawn and Real's cabin which ended at a deeper pool of larger fish but we never found it), wade in the river searching for real gold vs. pyrite and toted up more cobble to enlarge our fire pit, stroll the camp paths hand in hand, feed the squirrels ... Wolf and I watched a beaver in the river just a few yards from Wolf's hammock camp spot, watch Xena DVDs... if it rained (and it did rain off and on), we all made a mad dash to base camp, grab up Slave and Wolf in a dry vehicle with them scrambling to get their hands on a dry clothing item, at the same time, make a thorough but quick run on the supply tent... then with food supplies in tow we hustled back through the bamboo and crunchy / sandy road up the hill to the cabins... the cabins had a somewhat larger overhang forming a porch roof AND they could sort of accommodate our group presence in drier comfort, hunker in and listen to music, chat some more, eat some more, nap some more, listen to the rain pith and splat in the trees, trade stories, soak in the reality of voices and faces huddled together, 8 women huddled in close quarters knee to knee in a random collection of lawn furniture around the dutch oven wooden crate nibbling food, smoking cigarettes, (me drinking wine or Amarula). The muffled bubble of Princess' hookah accompanying our scuffing chairs, constant "excuse me" to get by, "just behind you there on the shelf in the corner, could you hand me that glass?", "Wolf, you up there?" (she was normally perched in the loft in the ceiling), "Cupcakes? would you mind putting on some water to heat?" (her cabin microwave worked best), "Honey, where's my lighter? don't tell me we left it at camp in the rain?" I dig in my pockets, praying I had it, hand it over to Phyl's glaring smile to recevie "Thank you, good thing you have it "...etc. the afternoon passed... the rain fell, a river ran through it, around it, and fell from the sky.... we learned to find comfort in the damp Georgia woods, working together and sharing both the quiet soggy moments as well as the sweltering sunny ones strolling the bamboo fields and moss covered paths.

Post Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:07 pm 
Khaleesi
Moderators

i doubt i will be able to be as eloquent as Cave has been but i'll try to add a few of my memories from camp....

i met Cave and Phyllis in South Carolina and when i looked in the back of their truck i thought OMG look at all this STUFF!! They brought everything but the kitchen sink!! We unpacked our camp chairs and sat on the lawn of the hotel because there were forty-leven kids in the swimming pool and we didn't want to deal with THAT! Just sitting, laughing and talking, Phyllis getting the hotel clerk to make her decaf coffee...lol. We got up Sunday morning and drove to camp, getting off the interstate on some country roads that reminded me of home.

CAMP

We arrived around 11 o'clock or so, signed in and went in search of a camp site for me. We set up the tents .... Mama tent and baby tent ...lol. Put the supplies in Cave and Phyllis' tent and then they went to settle in up at their room. i put my stuff in my tent and wandered around camp for a while.

Mama tent and baby tent
sitting side by side
baby tent held slave
Mama tent held supplies.

I met some other campers and talked with them, told them about Mel's and meeting up with friends i knew from there. They were amazed at how far some of us were coming to meet each other. Hey that's Mel's. Good people. Cave and Phyllis arrived back at camp with Wolf in tow. Cave had already gotten stung by a wasp. At some point Real and Hawn arrived and WOOOHOOO!!!! the PARTY started!!! We all wondered where Cupcakes and Princess were, they shoulda been here by now. We had a brief camp meeting and planned meals for the next couple of days. THEN a couple of local women showed up. We nicknamed them Taters and Melbatoast and asked them to report in for us at Mel's. Believe you me, they fit right in with the crowd. CC and Princess finally arrived, their driver had taken a wrong turn and gotten lost .... lol.

Please forgive me...after this the days all seem to run together in my mind. So from here it will just be random thoughts.

Tubing down the creek ...CC, Princess and me having a water fight. Dunking each other in the water when we found a place deep enough.... Real chasing Hawn's flip flops down the creek.... Walking back up the creek because we missed the last path to get out at camp (my fault...lol)...climbing the path watching for poison ivy.

Food oh the FOOD!!! i ate more that week than i eat in a month!!! lmao Such good cooks we have here at Mel's!! i think Real kept a list of what we ate so i'll leave that for her to post...lol

*gathering my thoughts... more to come later*

slaveofMistress

Never start a row in public when it can be settled politely in private. ~My Father~

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:30 pm 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Ladies!

Sounds like lots of fun! Appreciate all the stories from everyone. Those of us who didn't make were waiting to hear about who made it and camping stories.

Ummmm..Slave
Cave said your tent was a one person dome tent. Where were you planning on putting me if I was able to make it? lol

Glad you all had fun. I hope this begins a tradition here at Mels!

If I'm able to make the next one, I promise to make enough eggrolls to feed everyone.

Hugs

Jan

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:46 pm 
Mairi bheag

No that was a one-person Domme tent.

Mb
##

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:48 pm 
DarkChyldesKiss
Site Admin

Mairi,

LOL! Is that what it was?

Jan
##

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:05 pm 
cupcakes

cuppy's version of camp...

So, I arrived at the airport and met lil at baggage claim; she was leaning against the wall with her arms crossed gangsta style. Our driver took us off course and made us get out twice and ask for directions and we finally arrived near dark.

Then we met Hawn and Real (real is amazingly strong. I couldn't find the floor during her welcome hug), they showed us to our cabins. We had nextdoor cabins. First thought when seeing the cabins... What have I gotton myself into? This wasn't like your elem school field trips, kids...no real walls...screens! a shower curtain to section off a toilet! It was scary--I'm not gonna lie.

So we went down to meet everyone by the campsite. It was pitch black. I couldn't see anyone's face in the firelight, so I just kinda sat there, semi-freaking, cuz I was in the middle of nowhere about to spend the next week living in an indoor/outdoor cabin, with giant bugs( which kept buzzing by my ears and harrassing me), with a bunch of uber-strong women with funky accents of various sorts. Phyllis renamed us NY and San Fransisco (cuppy and lil).

So the next morning I could actually see everyone, which made me feel better. (don't leave things to my imagination; it's scary in there) I wasn't too thrilled that I had no phone service.

bla bla bla...real brought like a zillion presents from SA.
ummm... skip skip skip... it rained! i liked standing in the rain. but then it got cold after.
...and we went tubing and bruised our little tushies.
lil and I adopted Hawn and Real as our camp mommies.

There was a lotta making of food. And drinking. And ummm...story telling...and every now and then I'd spaz and flail cuz a bug came near me.

The shower shack was SPIDER infested...daddy long legs everywhere. Lil and I ended up taking the rest of our showers on the cabin porch in our bikinis.
Outhouse...never again.

oh and near the end, it rained a lot more and the party came up to the cabins. there was a viewing of xena in our cabin. (sorry I'm still not into the warrior princess, no offense)

so yea...cave and phyllis' vow renewal was nice. I think it probably made everyone think a bit. Well, can't speak for everyone. Rolling Eyes

The airports were a mess going home...long long delays. I got home starving and dirty and sleepy. I wouldn't shut up about the campout to my mom in the car on the way home.

First thing I did was scrub all the grime outta my belly button and toes and ears and hair. then threw that grimey hoodie that I wore all week into the wash...dryer fry those icky bugs in my jeans.

camp. Cool

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:34 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: