BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Moans & Groans

Poetry Boards

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Poetry Boards

Okay, so this is a little personal whine about the decreasing participation of Mels members on our Poetry Boards. Well, not so much the people who actually submit their work, but the lack of interaction as regards those who read the poems and dont comment, or perhaps people just aren't reading this Board at all.

We have some absolutely amazing women who write poems AND stories that beat the hell out of half the published crap these days and I personally think they deserve some encouragement along the way. You dont have to be a poet to leave a comment, even something as simple as "I enjoyed this" can go a long way towards whether the author decides to place another on the boards, or even indeed writes another.

Are we so busy playing online games that respect and encouragement for those who write is just falling by the wayside? I challenge every member who reads this post to go to the Poetry boards and read at least one piece of work and make a comment. You will be surprised what talent we have here.

HugZ, MG

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 6:12 am 
chordphrute

I wish there was a 'like' button for this post Smile

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 7:37 pm 
BdeCaunteton

Ditto Chord!

It also seems if you write a poem and it doesn't fit in the emotional boards, which is more frequented, you're not going to get comments. Like my recent contribution to the spirituality boards.

www[dot]bdecauntetonspoetry[dot]webs[dot]com

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 8:06 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

Thanks for the back up ladies. I didn't mean my original post to sound that strident actually, I was feeling more wistful actually for the days when there were literally dozens of new poems every day. I really enjoyed all the different styles and types.

And yeah, B. I agree. I think the trouble is that a lot of people actually don't know about the "review all posts since last visit' button, and only go to the main couple of Forums.

HugZ, MG

Post Fri Aug 13, 2010 11:38 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

I am definitely guilty here. ("What? A mod guilty?")

I tend to only read the poetry boards when I'm in the mood to read or write poetry, which lately, hasn't been very often -- and that has nothing to do with Mels!

However, one thing I do try to do is respond to the poems that have yet to get any responses. MG mentioned the "View posts since last visit" function. I agree with that and also often search for "0", in an effort to find the threads which have yet to receive any replies.

Just some tips. Keep writing, keep reading, and keep commenting, ladies!

~Eilidh

Post Mon Aug 16, 2010 7:40 pm 
chordphrute

So okay, regardless of my first response to this post, I wanted to add that I can't bring myself to respond to a poem posted with spelling mistakes, regardless of the content. It's just lazy.

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 5:03 pm 
Cavewoman

how does one search for 0...zero?

seriously
i use the review since last visit

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 6:29 pm 
Eilidh
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by Cavewoman:
how does one search for 0...zero?

seriously
i use the review since last visit

Good catch, Cave. I don't literally put "0" into the "Search" box, I just use the find function (control-F, depending on your computer) to find the zeroes on that particular page.

~Eilidh

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 9:00 pm 
MysteryGirl
Moderators

quote:
Originally posted by chordphrute:
So okay, regardless of my first response to this post, I wanted to add that I can't bring myself to respond to a poem posted with spelling mistakes, regardless of the content. It's just lazy.

I understand what you are saying here Chord but let's perhaps try and understand that sometimes poetry is written out of great emotion, joy or sadness or anger, and maybe thrown onto the page as the writer 'feels' it at that exact moment and posted.

Personally I agree about checking spelling and grammar but I'd rather someone posts their work without fear of being picked up for spelling mistakes, than not at all.

HugZ, MG

Post Thu Aug 19, 2010 11:39 pm 
EverydayAngelKarie

Like. Exclamation I post my poems as often as I can, but I rarely comment on the poetry of others. I've been working on commenting more though. I think you're right about a lot of the poetry and stories on these boards being better than the writing that is getting published these days. My big dream for the writers of Mels is that a big time publisher will wander across the site and decide to publish a book with at least one poem or story from everyone who has ever submitted something on these forums. Wouldn't that be so awesome? Exclamation

Post Fri Aug 20, 2010 7:02 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
chordphrute

quote:

I understand what you are saying here Chord but let's perhaps try and understand that sometimes poetry is written out of great emotion, joy or sadness or anger, and maybe thrown onto the page as the writer 'feels' it at that exact moment and posted.

Personally I agree about checking spelling and grammar but I'd rather someone posts their work without fear of being picked up for spelling mistakes, than not at all.

HugZ, MG

I understand that.. but passion and integrity go hand in hand. I prefer both - that's all Smile

Post Fri Aug 27, 2010 11:28 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: