BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

vote by a majority - for controversial issues

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
poeticrendezvous

vote by a majority - for controversial issues

Quick thoughts as I find a moment for myself today.

Gay Marriage is now legal in California. Anti-gay groups are up in arms proclaiming that judges should not have the right to decide against the will of the people and a ballet will go out in November that the will of the majority may decide. While caught up in the statistics thrown out there by the media regarding where the majority lurks on the issue, I almost got sucked in. Here I am, analyzing what the media and other groups are analyzing... the affects of this ruling in California and then what the November ballet might hold for it's ruling... yadda yadda yadda. And yet, the popular vote for other controversial issues are never on the ballet. I do not remember seeing the war on terror, abortion, free trade, stem cell research, hate crime legislation, tax increase (except in local county elections), capital punishment being a a ballet for a vote given by all the people to decide. Why is that? Why is this issue one of the only issues acceptable for a ballet popular vote 'by the people'? Think of that.

Post Tue Jun 17, 2008 4:03 pm 
Eiregirl

I see and understand you point very well and agree with what you are saying. Although California did have a stem cell initiative on the ballot. I think it was in the 2004 general election.

Personally I don't think this (gay marriage) should be a ballot issue at all. I do not see it as anyone's business who I can or cannot take as a mate other than my own or the person I have chosen. Everyone else just needs to keep their noses out of it. Sadly that is not the case.

I agree with you...if they are going to put this on a ballot so everyone can tell us whether or not we can marry the people we truly love then they should put every major issue on the ballot for the people to vote on.

I say we write our representitives...every single one of us here at Mels and we get all of our friends to write theirs (especially those in California) to force THIS issue down their throats and force a vote on all major issues. Maybe even a vote on the legality of straight marriage while we are at it.

Very thought provoking sweetie...I think I may have more to say on this one later

hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Jun 18, 2008 7:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: