BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Movies, Television and Film stars

Jodie Foster

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Love Is

Jodie Foster

Excuse me if there is already a thread about this, but I couldn't find any at mel's.

Jodie Foster has been in the news a lot lately, because she recently publicly acknowledged, apparently for the first time, her partner Cydney Bernard during an acceptance speech for a Women in Entertainment award. From what little I've read, they have been together for about 15 years, and Cydney is about 9 years older than Jodie, if any of that is of any interest to anyone. Jodie's two kids have Bernard Foster as their last names.

Again, excuse me for babbling if all this is old news, but it is news to me and thought I'd share. I never thought Jodie was "gay" (in quotes because labels are annoying, as you know). The only thing I knew was she is intensely private and she has two kids whose father is unknown (to the public). Yeah, yeah, I live under a rock.

In case anyone is interested, CNN's website has a short clip where Jodie thanks Cydney in her speech, which is afterwards discussed by women reporters in a sane, calm manner. Her speech was also described as being "moving" (because of other reasons, not because she outed herself) and reportedly brought tears to some in the audience.
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
-- the Cat

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 2:40 am 
Eilidh
Moderators

Hi Love Is,

It's great to see you posting again around here. I vaguely remember a thread on Jodie Foster, but I think it had more to do with her recent movie. In any case, thanks for posting this media update. I didn't know she was lesbian, but then again, I tend to live under a rock, so that might explain a lot Wink
You're right, the labels don't matter in the end, but it's still nice to have a "famous rolemodel" of sorts to identify with.

~Eilidh

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 3:43 am 
Love Is

Eilidh, thank you for the kind greetings and the post.

It's Jodie's business if she wants to out herself, but now that she has, I can't help but think that this would have an effect on some gay people, especially those who are young or who are still struggling about who they are. To some, the news would probably be a "who cares" kind of thing. For me, personally, the news does give me cause to think, since I have lingering struggles to deal with about being gay, so the news is not merely a "leisure and entertainment" thing for me.

I dream of the day when people would not have to be asked about their sexual orientation.

Take care.
Don't wear fear or nobody will know you're there
-- the Cat

Post Sat Dec 15, 2007 7:00 am 
dingo

i believe her brother outed her some years ago in a book he wrote about her life or something like that. she and her brother didn't get along very well after that incident.

Post Mon Jan 28, 2008 3:02 pm 
dingo

very true. her brother and her didn't get along for a long time after the book he wrote which stated she was a lesbian. she was very mad at him at the time, a long time ago.
but i think anyone who has seen her performances since the age of about 10 would realise she was clearly gay. she was particularly obvious as a teenager even in her speech patterns and body language.
it has never been a secret from people who have watched her grow up.

Post Sun Apr 06, 2008 10:30 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: