BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

I Need Your Help: Sex Education

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
coconut

I Need Your Help: Sex Education

Not totally an intellectual debate or anything like that but I really could use the help of the ladies here at mels.
This is school related.

Sex Education is provided is just about every school in the US (you can let me in on what happens in other parts of the world too please) but it varies from state to state and even city to city.
Abstinence only, abstinence plus, comprehensive, HIV/AIDS education. It's all out there somewhere but no matter who you talk to, someone will likely tell you something is lacking in the education they or their children received.

Here is what i want to know:
Did you have sex ed in school?
At what age/grade? In more than one grade?
Was is abstinence only or something else?
What did they teach you?
What do you think they should include in sex education?
And just because someone always does, feel free to add anything else you wish to add. I want to know. I know what I think but I want to hear what you all have to say first

Thank you for playing along

We now return you to your regularly scheduled chaos
somehow near
Sometimes it seemed
if I just dreamed
somehow you would
be here

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 7:29 pm 
cupcakes

Hi coco Smile

hmmm...::scratches head and digs deep for high school memories::

In HS it was mandatory to take one half year unit of Health Education. Sex Ed was one topic within this class and we had to bring home consent forms to be signed by our parents in order to take part in that topic.

I took it in senior year because everyone knows health is a BS class. It was pretty much basic diagrams of sexual anatomy, and memorizing symptoms of various STDs, plus a few slide show pictures. Covered the basic STDs.

About prevention, their stance was to tell us the only 100% safe bet is abstinence, but they also told us about birth control pills, diaphragms, condoms, morning after pill.
I was disappointed that we didn't get the banana and condom seminar they always show on TV.

Also in Junior High we were required to take a Unit of Health. It was pretty much identical to HS's program not as much emphasis on Sex Ed...or at least from what I can remember.

In my opinion, the Sex Ed of my school was ok, but there's room for improvement.
I think it relied too heavily on scare tactics, cuz yea STD's are gross and scary, but that really didn't stop kids from doing what they were gonna do.

After the class I still lacked the practical knowledge about sex. like...what are some phone numbers of clinics, planned parenthood? Where would I find this magic morning after pill? How do you physically put on a condom etc etc.

Giving me this information would not have made me feel free to go out and sleep around, but it would have helped IN CASE something happened.

The real sex ed happened at some sleazy party of my good friend (love ya Maddie) I opened and examined a condom for the first time. No, I did not use it that night. At this same sleazy party, I smoked my first cigarette, had my first beer, whiskey shot, smoked my first coke bottle bong, and witnessed my classmates engaging in oral sex right next to me on the couch (saw my first penis). I also threatened to kill a boy because he was with my sleazy friend (love ya maddie) in her room with the door locked. Well a lot of people did stupid things that night. I came out of that safe and sex-free.

I'd say sex ed at my school was decent, but more "medical," rather than practical for that age level.

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:54 am 
Dark prism

I had pretty much the same experience in school as Cuppy did. The one thing I realize now that would have helped me at the time was if they had discussed homosexuality, which they never did. God forbid they teach the kids about that and have them all turn gay! Rolling Eyes

Soooo much better to never talk about that and make the poor gay kids think there's something wrong with them! Sad What a great way to reinforce that isolated feeling of not fitting in! Crying or Very sad

I hope they do it better these days, but I doubt it. Which is probably part of why Lawrence King was shot to death in class by another student because he was gay. This happened a couple of weeks ago in a neighboring town of mine about 45 minutes away. And I live in Southern California near Los Angeles, where being gay is more accepted than other parts of the country. The shooter has now been charged with a hate crime, and will be tried as an adult. With one shot, born from blind ignorant hatred, he destroyed so many lives, including his own.

Heartbreaking.

Dp

Post Sun Feb 24, 2008 10:17 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: