BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

My thoughts
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
MdmPrez

cuppy

*climbs a ladder to reach cuppy on her high horse and hugs her

You are so cool!

Cat

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 6:42 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: cuppy

quote:
Originally posted by MdmPrez:
*climbs a ladder to reach cuppy on her high horse and hugs her

You are so cool!

Cat

She is only cool because she is in Anartica...otherwise she is just HOT

Wink

Edits to add...

If the horse is made out of ice...it will melt under her Laughing so perhaps a soap box??? Wink

Last edited by Eiregirl on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:20 am; edited 1 time in total

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 9:58 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

Real,

Perhaps I need to improve my writing skills in order to provide better understanding…I will look into that. (That is not sarcasm…I am serious)
Lets just face the fact that we were not talking about the same things in the same way with the same understanding of that the other was talking about. At least I was not.

I apologize for any misunderstanding. I cannot say the way you read the original post is wrong because for the most part you are correct. No matter what either of us view as the main topic I see it as violence because of religion and you see it differently…ok that is not a problem. Are there other topics yes and some of those are the ones you mentioned. Some of it is about politics and trying to push blame onto someone else. Some of it is about religious fundamentalist and fanatics while a little of it is about how taking an action against someone (or group of people) can cause a reaction from them (or another group of people). To me all of that was just a lead in to what I think is the major part of the post which is how many people view other religions and in many cases how they view their own beliefs and how there is violence in religion. Not because the religion itself is violent but because of the way people twist their beliefs to mean something it really does not.

Yes I do think we have had some confusion and misunderstanding and this is why I think we have.

I took your reply as a direct reply to a reply I made to cuppy because of the quote you used.
“Originally posted by Eiregirl:
The girls name WAS Du’a Khalil Aswad and her religious belief was Yazidi. She was a Kurd....”

To me you are not responding to my original post but to my reply to cuppy in which I was clarifying a point of interest to her in relation to a girl who was murdered because her beliefs were different than the beliefs of the boy she loved. I was not specific about the girl’s religion and she noticed that. All I had mentioned was the girls ethnic group and the boy’s religion. Why did I do that? Because those facts had a direct relation to the events that occurred. She made a good point in that my not being specific could easily lead to misunderstanding and cause people to think that Kurdish was her religion when it was not. In my response to her I was more specific because I did not want to have that misunderstanding and I felt she would like to know the girls religion.

In your responding directly to this I also took it that you were responding to a specific section of the original post which deals with how other religions are viewed and how people commit violence because of their view of religion…hence violence because of religion.

In one of my replies I believe I said something about how it should not matter whether or not the girl was Kurdish, Russian or German? Why should it matter if she was Catholic, Hindu or Jewish? What I was saying was that it should not matter what anyone wants to “label” her. She was killed because she was “labeled” different and that is wrong. I was agreeing with you that labeling someone as different just to put a cloud over them or to mark them for violence is wrong but you asked me 3 questions of which I took to be about the same topic we had been discussing since you made another quote of which gave me that impression. To me that topic was and still is in relation to violence because of religion.

In all of my replies to you I have been responding to you while trying to stick to the topic as I saw it.

I think we did start misunderstanding each other. I thought we were talking about a specific part that dealt with how a lot of people view other religions and how there is violence in all religions at least that is what I was discussing. The whole point of mentioning the pregnant women, the abortion doctor, the priest and this girl was to point out how the twisted views some people have about their religion does nothing but promote violence against innocent people. It seemed to me that you did not want to discuss the topic of violence in religion or violence because of religion. It seemed to me that I was being forced to defend a statement of fact in relation to that girl’s death because to me it seemed you found no importance in it but more importance in how she was labeled by me and the people who killed her. It seemed to me that you placed more importance on how the people who killed here were “labeled” than the fact that she was murdered by them. When you asked the question about Mathew Sheppard, Rebecca Wight, Michelle Adbill and Roxanne Ellis it seemed that you were trying to tie their deaths directly to religion and having no evidence to support that assumption. Would it be possible to say that there killer’s views on religion was a direct cause for their killing these innocent people? It would be hard to do without them saying that it was but it could possibly be done but it would be hard without knowing exactly what their religious views are. If you had mentioned Ronald Gay killing Danny Overstreet then I would have said yes to that question because he thought he had been told by his God to kill lesbians and gay men. The death of Danny Overstreet and the death of Du’a Khalil Aswad can be tied directly and without doubt to the religious views of their killers.

Yes I think we may have been misunderstanding each other.
That is just the way my stubborn brain sees it Smile

Hugs,
Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:36 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
cupcakes

Very clever analogy, Miki. Teehee, when in penguinland do as the penguins do. Thanks for reminding me that we are all big peoples here. I know it would not have resulted in murder, but...I was feeling a little insecure/responsible, since everyone kept referring back to my post to back up their argument. "As I explained to cuppy this...As cuppy pointed out that... etc etc." So I thought, uh oh...I made everyone mad at each other. (i'm the center of the universe)

Where ever cuppy's name is mentioned...it MUST be surrounded by happiness....cuz "I'm the baby, gotta love me!"
(1000 points to the woman who knows what TV show that is in reference to. hint: Not the mama! Laughing )

mdm...::hug:: Embarassed ::puffs up more::

Eire...baby, you don't have to be made of ice to melt if I'm straddling you like a horse...Ohhhhhh that is SO inappropriate! Mad Bad, bad, bad cUppy! I'll take that soap now please. Tell Debs not to hurt me I'm JK.

---

My train of thought followed closely along the same lines as Real's. I'm glad she continued to press the issue, because I didn't know how to do it.

But I think this issue of mixing and matching labels haphazardly is an especially dangerous considering that many Americans can't differentiate between these different labels in relation to the Middle East and it is a major factor in the spread of ill-will and further ignorance towards that part of the world. The thing is...a lot of people DON'T do their homework so people will assume definitions in relation to the context of that paragraph. And a writer may say...well hell to the ignorant people, my intended audience is the already educated elite...which is somewhat an irresponsible view IMO (although that's not what I think eire was doing)

From what I understand of Eire's perspective on this, the act of writing inherently requires that some information be left out which the writer considers irrelevant or not as important to her topic.

When I read the original post, I got the impression that Eire was unaware of a mis-link between Kurd and Sunni. But she did clear that up, however, I disagree with her reasoning for leaving out Yazidi. Yes it is correct that I am not familiar with that religious sect, but I don't think that catering to my ignorance by limiting the information necessarily makes it less confusing. I would argue that obscure facts and terminology has a positive effect by 1) ensuring that those who don't know those terms do not get mixed up and 2) showing that the culture isn't uniform and the situation isn't just black and white. We can't intentionally censor information and then get frustrated at ignorance.

(further rambling ::yawn:: )
Like Eire said, it's easy for us to choose a scapegoat problem, which in turn leads us to an absurd panacea. Religion = violence...do away with religion (or convert them to my peaceful, civilized religion). I think what fuels this view is censorship as mentioned above. When we are safely across the sea from the area in turmoil, and we're only getting trickles of information using limited terminology, dumbed down for the masses, of course we're going to think in simple terms..."those idiots over there and their blind Holy Wars."

(tangent)
But is it really about religion?
I personally doubt it. I think religion is a mask that neatly shields and distances us from many complexities. but yikes! what am I saying? It's not my place to speak of these things, I've not lived the experience for my thoughts to hold weight on this subject.

(conclusion) I have confused myself. What are we discussing again? I am arguing with myself

~cuppy the sensitive scatterbrain Rolling Eyes

Last edited by cupcakes on Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:07 pm; edited 1 time in total

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 1:53 pm 
realwoman

Cuppy, you are brilliant, and wise, way beyond your age...

Just love you, and that pretty penguin grandchild you gave us...

Arrow

~real

light is to darkness as love is to fear...

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:04 pm 
ladybug

Cuppy-

*DINOSAURS*

it used to come on Friday nights.

Do I get the 1000 points? Do I? Do I?

"There would be no rainbow for the soul, had there been no tears for the eyes."
~unknown

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 2:14 pm 
cupcakes

Ding Ding Ding!!!! And the winner is ::drum roll:: Ladybug! You get 1000 points plus a free imaginary trip to my Ice Palace in Antarctica for also knowing when it aired!

Embarassed Real, stop feeding my ego...I'm gonna burst my creme filling already... but love me if you must
::throws head back dramatically::

Ask Lil-potato what our penguin baby's name is... Wink

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:27 pm 
ladybug

YAY! I've always wanted to visit an ice palace in Antartica...I think...hmmm...

*runs out to buy hand and foot warmers for my imaginary trip*

ps. i didnt even need the additional hint

~unknown

Post Wed Feb 13, 2008 3:32 pm 
cupcakes

Well, you are just too Cool

This imaginary trip comes with complimentary imaginary mittens, hats, big fluffy coats, and ice skates. ::hands lady a steaming cup of cocoa::

points out the pretty ice sculptures and frozen ice fountains.

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 12:01 pm 
ladybug

Thank you for the mittens, hats, coats, and ice skates...I can actually ice skate (which I'm thinking would come in handy at the ice palace) though it's been years since I've done it.

I love hot cocoa...actually drinking some right this very second as I am out of my tea that I usually drink in the mornings.

Also...we woke up with 4 inches of snow on the ground this morning that was completely unforcasted...breathtakingly beautiful!

*contemplates finding somehwere to go ice skating soon*

~unknown

Post Thu Feb 14, 2008 2:39 pm 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: