BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Articles & Essays

Sperm donors and child support - what are your views?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
slippers

Sperm donors and child support - what are your views?

I just read an article about a sperm donor being ordered to pay child support after he donated sperm to a lesbian couple who subsequently split. If the article has the all the facts, the agreement was that the donor would have no role in the child's life.

http://www.smh.com.au/articles/2007/12/05/1196530715490.html

It led me to wonder how other lesbians feel about this.

Does it annoy you that these women might be ruining things for other lesbians who may want to use a donor in the future, going back on their word just because their plans didn't work out?

Or is it fair enough, given the donor is the biological father, despite the original agreement?

And how do the child's rights fit into all of this?

I'd be interested in knowing how other people feel...

x Slippers

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 8:50 am 
Alice In Quantum Land

This is a disgrace, it really makes us look like shit. It is completely unacceptable, irresponsible, disrespectful, ugly, fraudulent and plain stupid. If they agreed that the doner was only a doner, then what happens next is none of his business, good or bad. He cannot be accounted for the child financially, or in any kind of ways if things goes wrong afterwards (unless he wants to of course).

If child support is needed, the parents (which does not include the doner) has to settle that themselves. I can't even believe that the Child Support Agency forced him do pay anything, this gives us a bad name... Good luck in finding a sperm doner in the UK after that.

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 2:16 pm 
Hawaiian

Aloha slippers,

Here's the article I read subsequent to your post:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/pages/live/articles/news/news.html?in_article_id=499342&in_page_id=1770&in_page_id=1770&ct=5&expand=true

It's one from the mother's perspective. She says that the bloke changed his mind in the case of the little 4 year old girl and subsequently took on the role of daddy. Signing cards with "Daddy", keeping her overnight on a monthly basis etc. He took off after the birth of a second child, a boy, who was diagnosed with a disability. He was also the donor. The mother says that Child Services made her give up the father's name.

If that one is true, then I would side with the kid...who has already become attached to him. Fathers can and do jump ship but should at least be made to pay child support.

If it isn't, then it's a tragedy and a good reason to go to an anonymous Sperm Bank.

~Hawn

Post Wed Dec 05, 2007 4:08 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: