BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Parenting

How do you cope with your partner's teenager?

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
amefel4u

How do you cope with your partner's teenager?

Here is the deal...short and sweet or maybe not so sweet. My partner and I have been together for 5 years and I entered the relationship knowing she had a daughter at the wonderful age of 13. I come from a large family and have inherited a lot of my father's ideas of how a child should act and grow up. One of the first serious discussions that I had with my partner's daughter was trying to explain how disrespectful I though it was that she called her mom by her first name and not by mom or mother. I should have known then that things would not flow smoothly, but Love is Blind.

Needless to say things progressivly got worse and it wasn't long before I could not have an opinion on disipline because my partner thought that I disliked her daughter and I was just being mean. Yes, we do live togther, and to make matters worse, my partner had to raise her child on her own and endure many hardships along the way. My partner feels like her daughter deserves a little less restriction now that she is older and because her daughter had to grow up so fast when she was younger.

How do you explain to a mother that just because you do not have a child, it doesn't mean that you have no idea what would be good or bad for the child? How do you get past the mother trying to protect her child when that is all that she knows?

Post Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:53 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: