BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Poetry Writers and Styles

"Desiderata" - Max Ehrmann

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
RedIsTheNewBlackBabe

"Desiderata" - Max Ehrmann

So I heard this poem in Mexico for the first time and I really liked it. It's really powerful...

-------
Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence. As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons. Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant, they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit. If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter; for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself. Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.

Keep interested in your own career, however humble, it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time. Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery. But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals; and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself. Especially, do not feign affection. Neither be cynical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth. Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in face of sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness.

Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive him to be, and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.

With all its sham, drudgery & broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be careful. Strive to be happy.

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 4:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
fortheloveofagood...
Site Admin

i used to have this as a poster when i was a kid, and read it everyday, loved it. thanks for reminding me of it...

quote:
Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

smiles

(((((((((((((((((((((((risnb)))))))))))))))))))))))))))))))

good to have you at mels

Kx

'don't hate your enemies, it clouds your judgement'

~peace comes from knowing only love is real~

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:22 am 
Angel1
Moderators

Thank you (((((( Red))) Exclamation
I also have this beautiful piece framed and my favourite part like
"fortheloveofagood " Is....

"Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should . "

Thank you so much for sharing
with all my love and my deepest respect
Angel x x x x Arrow

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 11:03 am 
~Wil~

((((((((((((Red)))))))))))

It is very cool to read the whole thing! I too have that small chunk of this poem that hangs in my room (something that I fell in love with and bought when studying in mexico years ago). And its neat to see that so many others also have this beautiful bit of poetry.

Thank you for sharing it with us!
~W~

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 2:41 pm 
RedIsTheNewBlackBabe

Its great that everyone loves this work.. its something to aspire to..

Post Sun Apr 29, 2007 10:02 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: