BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Cooking Techniques and Recipes

One of many Irish Stew's

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

One of many Irish Stew's

The main differences to different Irish Stews are…
What kind of meat is used…mutton, lamb, kid, beef?
What vegetable’s…potatoes or not…carrots or not etc.
What spices are used salt, pepper, garlic or any number of others.

Of those the main thing that determines how you cook the stew is what meat is used…that is one of the main factors in determining how the stew is cooked and how long the stew is cooked.

Now here is one recipe I like…may post more Irish Stew recipes in the future or if you have one you like please post it.

This one is fairly easy to make and if made with mutton and cooked slowly it can be great and definitely tender. There are a couple of important things to remember when cooking mutton…cook it slow and do not let it boil.

2 1/2 lb boned mutton
4 large potatoes
2 large onions
3 or 4 medium carrots
sprig of parsley
2 cups water
salt and pepper

Cut the meat into chunks.
Peel and thickly slice the veggies or is you wish leave the peel on (I prefer peeled).
Chop up the parsley.
You want to use a good pot with a good lid and put the ingredients in the pot in layers starting and finishing with the potatoes.
Pour in the water and season to taste with the salt and pepper.
Cover and cook for two and a half hours on very low heat. This will make sure the meat is tender and the potatoes will thicken the water. DO NOT LET IT BOIL If you want you can let it get close to boiling or to where it looks like it is about to boil but do not let it. Mutton does not do well when boiled because it changes the flavor and it affects the tenderness of the meat.

This will serve four people.

Remember this recipe is for mutton…if you use a different meat the cooking time will be different.

Enjoy.

Edit one (forgot to put how many it serves)

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:43 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
P-Chanmisao

Add in some cauliflower, and it's really close to how my mother makes it. Thanks for sharing!

Post Tue Jun 27, 2006 2:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Eiregirl

quote:
Originally posted by P-Chanmisao:
Add in some cauliflower, and it's really close to how my mother makes it. Thanks for sharing!

P,

You are very welcome and if you try it please let me know how close it is to your mothers.

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 3:27 am 
seabreeze3457

That looks good, I think I might have to try it!

-Stef

Post Wed Jul 19, 2006 7:54 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Salaam86

I really like ethnic recipe's because I get to see what kinds of meals are cooked in other countries. That irish stew recipe looks awesome. Thxs for taking the time. ^_^

Post Thu Aug 10, 2006 2:38 am 
 View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger  Reply with quote  
kathyms

black stuff

you forgot to add the blackstuff, irish stew must have guinness, add a small can or bottle and some water.

Post Mon Jan 22, 2007 3:56 pm 
Eiregirl

Re: black stuff

quote:
Originally posted by kathyms:
you forgot to add the blackstuff, irish stew must have guinness, add a small can or bottle and some water.

kathyms,

Welcome to Mels and thank you very much for the reply Smile

Like the title of the thread says, "One of many Irish Stew's"

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Mon Jan 29, 2007 5:19 pm 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: