BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Books and Story Writers

Self Publishing

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Allison

Self Publishing

I was wondering if anyone had any experience good or bad in regard to self publishing. I would appreciate any advice/feedback you are willing to offer. Thanks in advance!

Post Tue Nov 29, 2005 3:50 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
Story

I can help you. What would you like to know?

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:26 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Is it worthwhile or just a way to lose good money?

Post Sun Oct 08, 2006 12:46 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail AIM Address  Reply with quote  
bbmaniac

Alli,

Check out iUniverse.com. I know of a couple of people who have successfully published there, and they have an agreement with Barnes and Noble. Books published through them will show up in online searches and in the stores. If you visit a Barnes and Noble near you and go to the section where the annual Writer's Market manuals are found, you should see the iUniverse logo, but the website has everything you need to know available.

Hope that helps,
BB

Sonnet 109 - Shakespeare

'I'm just your ordinary, everyday sane-psycho...supergoddess' Liz Phair

--------------------------------------

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 3:08 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger  Reply with quote  
Allison

Thanks BB Wink

Alli

Post Thu Oct 12, 2006 8:45 pm 
Jane Holland

There's really no reason to self-publish, unless your material is only of interest to yourself. Most self-publishing places charge vastly over the odds for printing your book and will do nothing whatsoever to market it, regardless of the previous post on this thread about that.

Your book 'showing up' on Barnes & Noble is not the same as a proper marketing campaign. People won't know to look for your book there if they don't know it exists in the first place. That's where most self-publishers fall down - they get the book printed, at great expense, but then can't sell it. Not unless you know how to organise a reading tour or signings at bookstores etc. or have some other regular outlet where you can sell your book.

Many small publishers are now going for Print on Demand. This means they only print a small number (maybe one or two hundred) up front, then print as individual books are ordered. This saves storage costs and means a.) they never run out of copies and b.) they don't risk losing their shirts over a book that doesn't sell. The drawback, though, is that they don't have any stock once the initial print run sells out and so can't produce a copy overnight, and also that most authors have to pay for copies up-front for readings etc. but then , of course, they are allowed to sell on their own behalf and - hopefully - make that money back eventually.

The best course of action if a writer is serious about writing and being published, is to get good enough as a writer for a bona fide publisher to want to publish their work, or as close to that as they can get. That means reading what other people in their genre are writing - and learning from it. It also means having to keep sending work out and getting it rejected. For poets, it means building up a list of credits in the magazines for several years before approaching a publisher and perhaps entering some high-profile competitions too, in the hope that a win gets them noticed.

There's really no shortcuts if you want to be published and known as a writer. But if you don't mind spending several thousand on a product you may never sell, then self-publishing is quicker and easier. It's up to each individual to discover which path they're happiest being on.

Jane

Post Sun Oct 15, 2006 10:37 pm 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Allison

Thanks for the info and advice ladies.

Post Sat Oct 21, 2006 5:47 pm 
Story

I'd say there is a reason to self-publish. It depends on your goals. I self-published because I wanted to maintain creative control as well as control the timeline. Most people don't know it unless I tell them because my books have still gotten great reviews from a number of credible 3rd party sources. It does cost a bit (not a tremendous amount), but if you produce a good book, have a marketing plan, know your target audience and know what you're getting into (time and energy wise) you should be fine. *Note, self-publishing doesn't mean do everything yourself. You should hire a professional graphic designer, copy editor, etc.

I think a lot of people confuse the terms. Self-publishing means you pay for everything, including the ISBN block which identifies you as the publisher of record. There is also Subsidy Publishing, which is when you use a company such as Author House or Booklocker.com to produce your book. That is not self-publishing because they, not you, are the publisher of record and you are paying a part of the cost to produce your book. I would only reccommend subsidy publishing to someone who only wants a small amount of copies for friends and family.

There are a couple of ways to get published: find an agent and go the traditional route, find a subsidy house (vanity presses have all but died), or self-publish. Each one has it's pros and cons and one should consider all options before making a decision regarding their work. Just remember that writing the book is the easiest part of the entire process.

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 12:59 am 
Allison

Thanks Story. I really appreciate your advice, as well as the other ladies that have been kind enough to share their thoughts. Wink

Alli

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:19 am 
Story

no prob. Cool

Post Fri Oct 27, 2006 1:23 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: