BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Mels Campout and Meet-Ups!

Next Year? 2007
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Dueceswild

more stuff....

Here are some camp grounds I have contacted to get more info:
NC
BAKERSFIELD
    Camp Pleiades, 114 Abby Road, Bakersfield, NC 28705  Phone  (888) 324-3110   Email: info@starcamp.com    A resort tucked in the North Carolina mountains offering cozy cabins and tent sites with platforms. Find yourself, Lose yourself, Be yourself.  Lesbian only, children welcome except boys over age 12, white water rafting, kayaking, hiking, swimming, sunbathing, mini beach, yoga, arts and crafts, volleyball, badminton, music weekends, memberships available.

GATE CITY (Dungannon, Bristol area)
    Hunters Island Retreat, Route 1, Box 348, Gate City, VA  24251  Phone (276) 452-2344 Email: dhoover@hotmail.com  Book your own island for a week in the heart of the scenic Appalachian Mountains in western Virginia. The wooded, 3 acre island is 3 miles from Jefferson National Park, has lots of forest greenery secluding it from the surrounding area, 4000 feet of frontage on the Clinch River and a long, deep, spring fed pond that provides good swimming. The island has a sleeping cabin, restroom building with hot and cold showers, public water supply, outdoor sink for dish washing and a 10 site camping area for tents along the river. No electric on the island. Staff will meet you when you arrive and a rock road provides vehicle access to the island. Gay/Lesbian, an ideal meeting place for groups, great fishing and canoeing. Owned and operated by family.

VA
KENTS STORE (Ferncliff)
    CampOut, Route 2, Box 1096, Kents Store, VA 23084   Phone (804) 301-3553    Email: campoutva@campoutva.com   A women owned and operated, membership, wooded campground on 106 acres with a 7 acre lake with 50 sites for RV's, electric available and tents, cabins, restroom with showers. Women only, open Friday through Sunday, week days by special arrangement, swimming, tubing, fishing, canoeing, paddle boats, volleyball, hiking, biking, pavilion, handicap accessible.

WALTON (Charleston area)
    Long Forks Campgrounds, Walton, WV  25286  Local phone (304) 577-9347  Toll free phone (888) 598-2267  Email: reservations@longfork.com  A private, members only campground for grown-ups with gay and lesbian clientele and friends. A safe, respectful and caring retreat for the GLBT community on one hundred acres surrounded by wooded hills and valleys with a creek running through the center, only thirty five minutes from downtown Charleston. The camping area has primative tent sites in the woods, tent and pop-up sites with electric in the meadow on each side of the creek and private RV sites that are heavily wooded with electric and water, two restrooms with showers, bunkhouse, camping cabins and rooms with a private bath in the lodge. Gay/Lesbian, day passes, heated swimming pool with spa, Phoenix Pub rec center with coffee bar, pool table, darts and BYOB bar, refurbished old barn with stage, seating and dance floor, outdoor stage, hiking trails, wireless internet and special events. Reservations required. Owned and operated by family.
I know that these are on the east coast but so far these are what I have found to fit our needs

Post Wed Jun 28, 2006 8:56 pm 
Cavewoman

we looked at Camp Pleiades in NC for 2006 - unfortunately they are no longer in business....

Lemons found a place in Iowa... farmresort.com

inn at the moors looks interesting

BUT... having just returned from this year's outing and still sorting my thoughts... I have one very serious question to pose.... and its primarily based on the excitement buildup/response to the 2006 outing VS. actual attendance.... many women expressed interest, many women responded via chat or via post that we should expect them in camp... 8 of us actually showed up.... I'm not saying that we 8 did not have a very interesting time together because we did... I am saying that we 8 also spent the $, put in the work and took the time away from precious saved vacation time to attend.... I really don't want to go through the $, work or saved vacation time to once again greet 8 women only... So..my question is, just how many of us are truely intending to attend a possible 2007 gathering?

While the 2006 gathering really wasn't that difficult to arrange, it was work emotionally, work to think through/gather/pack/unpack/pack/unpack/stow supplies... and yes, there was work that should have been done that i did not do (My original thoughts were based on response and led me to believe that the group size would lead and dictate activity) such as incorporating more "rainy day" plans, scheduled outings, planned events = an itinerary / agenda of sorts to maintain focus... so in those respects, perspective outings will/should be more work for the planners

among my thoughts are a few things right off the top

1...a location which appeals to many
2...a location which is easily accessible to many without exorbitant expense
3...a location which offers a variety of activities to groups, couples, singles and families offering comfort and security to all
4...perhaps even a registration process of sorts in order to track true commitment to attendance
5...a focused agenda

these are just thoughts ladies.. and very fresh ones at that (I mean no offense and I'm insinuating nothing)... simple observations based on a very fresh experience.

There is no one or two women here that can pull this thing off alone or without help and commitment.... If we're gonna do this again, it should be done with more expertise.

p.s. Sometimes i feel like I'm talking to myself in here. To borrow from Pink Floyd... "Is anybody out there?"

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:04 pm 
lemons

Cave,

I don't have much to contribute at this moment as work has kept me from doing more research for next year. But I think you have some very valid thoughts here. Only those that went to this year's campout would know what we need to change/alter when looking for next year's campout.

As if you could see it, I was nodding my head at some of the things you mentioned. With all the excitment of this year, I think when a place is found for next year, a registration process would be ideal. I know with all the chat going back and forth, it was hard to tell who was going and who was just wishing they could go.

I'm glad the eight of you had a wonderful time ..... and hopefully by next year many more of us will be able to go!!!! I was certainly wishing it, that's for sure! Cool

By the looks of what has been posted so far, it seems the east coast seems to have the most opprotunities for us. But, if some continue to search, maybe something will be found. I will do some more looking around here in the next few weeks. If I get a chance, I may see what else I can find on the farmresort.com. I for one just am amazed that this was found in amongst other lesbian camp sites ..... being in Iowa and all. Let alone only 20 minutes from my house! LOL

I'd really like to be able to go next year .... so I will do some searching and see what else there may be in the Midwest since I know that is kinda the goal for next year.

Lem

Post Sat Jul 01, 2006 5:40 pm 
Dueceswild

I completely agree...

I completely agree with all of your sugestions for next year...
And as you know I'm very willing to help. IF this gathering happens next year, this is how S and I plan on spending our vacation. Also it is how we plan on celebrating my Graduation! Hehehehe I can't wait!
Here is a suggestion:
A campground that has a DORM type setting. I know that we have 2 campgrounds in my town alone that are great! One has a pool and a lake, dorms, a kitchen and rec hall. The other has 2 HUGE dorms, a kitchen, a fire pit, a look out, a pool, and big dining area (its actually where we used to have band camp LOL) But the thing of this type is that we would have to rent the entire camp for a 5-7 days, that would be super cool because we wouldn't have to worry about entruders, but there would deffinately have to be a registration because its 1 big expense. What I would suggest is that we do a registration with a deposit THEN reserve the camp, therefor if not enough people register than we can return the $$$ and find another place or just not have it.... Whay ya think????

Post Mon Jul 03, 2006 5:16 pm 
Cavewoman

a lookout AND a pool AND a firepit AND a kitchen? Are we allowed to pitch tents too? Where is this place?

As to registration and deposit... sounds excellent... As to if we don't get enough ladies, return the cash and cancel... I'm not so certain... Sounds like we need a backup plan for those of us who ARE serious.

Seriously, I'd like to have a web address, check out any online photos. And just how expensive is expensive?

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 3:58 am 
Cavewoman

just found this place... its in Provincetown (I know, I know, east coast stuff, again...) but check this out

brasskey.com

42 gorgeous rooms... really, though, check it, cause it ain't cheap but it sure is gorgeous... I have no idea what they might charge us to rent the whole joint.. but its one hell of a thought.

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:11 am 
Cavewoman

found another

fifes.com

California this time.... y'all got check them though, else feedback will remain nonexistent as it did 2006... come on, if yer serious you'll at least look and give some sort of voice to your thoughts...

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:17 am 
Cavewoman

villaroca.com

Costa Rica anyone?

Mind you... I'm serious.... these places look fabulous.. and yeah, I know their price excludes some ladies...

with all that said, without serious feedback from serious ladies who seriously plan to attend another gathering... well, sort of leaves me all thumbs now doesn't it?

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:23 am 
Cavewoman

bigrubys.com
go to La Plantacion
not really that pricey but sure does look swell..

comments?

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:28 am 
Cavewoman

more I-just-found-this

rrgetaways.com/riverqueen_1.htm

castiaslaquita.com

hmmmm?

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 5:56 am 
chordphrute

i'm here. i'm here.

so here's my response rant:

something tropical sounds nice...hell if its a year away, i can save. i'm doing europe next april already by myself on a backpacking adventure. i've been to costa rica - yum - could be a very nice choice.

if i did the northeast somewhere id have to reckon with my family somehow lol...ptown is nice, but it gets old. lately its more of a boys-town. west coast would be nice. gulf coast would be nice but there isnt one left lol....

considered a lesbian nudist colony? (does one exist? - half joking)

if anyones' up for it - take a look at www.falconridgefolk.com. I go to it every year - it's a folk festival in lower-upstate new york. ive been attending it every year since 1998. its a 4 day event - camping, lots of gay women (and straight ones) - in the berkshires... you have the choice to volunteer or not (i could set that up) in which case you wouldnt have to pay a dime to camp and all your meals would be paid for... and it lasts four days, usually at the end of july. as for the music - think dar williams, ani difranco, eddie from ohio, tracy grammar...loads of fun... and yours truly is the sound engineer on the workshop stage Smile

the 'activities' would be taken care of - i know of a few amazing swimming places in the area, we're 45 min from Northampton MA (5 min from my hometown, i.e. lesbianville USA)...at the festival there's contra/zydeco/folk/square dancing, drum circles, music...tons of workshops/vendors..and the atmosphere is amazingly creative.

just to throw out an idea...

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:31 am 
Eiregirl

Chord,

That sounds like a wonderful idea.

Eiregirl Arrow

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:53 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Khaleesi
Moderators

KAK! *slave faints upon seeing the prices of the places cave has listed*

slaveofMistress

Never start a row in public when it can be settled politely in private. ~My Father~

Post Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:55 am 
Start Over

quote:
Originally posted by chordphrute:

considered a lesbian nudist colony? (does one exist? - half joking)

:shock: lesbian nudist colony???

Cheers,
Start

Post Wed Jul 05, 2006 1:32 am 

Jump to:  
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: