BACK TO HOME PAGE SITE NAVIGATION CONTACT POETRY FORUM STORY FORUM   Horoscope  Radio  Gallery  FAQ   Search   Memberlist   Usergroups   Register   Profile   PM's   

General Forum Index -> Cooking Techniques and Recipes

St. Patrick's

Ladies Lifestyle and Living Store
  Author    Thread Post new topic Reply to topic
Eiregirl

St. Patrick's

In Ireland St. Patrick’s day is more of a religious holiday than it is a big party. There are fantastic parades, feasts, mass etc. but the parades, shamrocks, green beer are mainly for the tourists. Over the years it has become one of the most celebrated events in Ireland and a major tourist attraction that’s why all the flash and pizzazz.

Some things I like to make for St. Patrick’s Day...there are more things I make from time to time but I generally always have one or two of the following.

Pasta with Irish bacon and broccoli
INGREDIENTS:
4 slices Shannon Traditional Irish Bacon, cut crosswise into 1/4 inch strips
8 ounces dried corkscrew or quill-shaped pasta
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 small onion, finely chopped
1/2 cup de-fatted chicken broth
1/8 teaspoon dried hot pepper flakes
4 cups fresh broccoli florets
2 tablespoons grated Parmesan cheese

Cook pasta in large amount of salted boiling water. While pasta is cooking, in non-stick skillet over medium heat, cook bacon strips just until they begin to brown. Stir in garlic and onions; cover and cook for several minutes or until onion is soft. Raise heat to medium-high. Add chicken broth, hot pepper flakes and broccoli. Cover and cook for 7 to 8 minutes until broccoli is crisp-tender and still bright green. Stir in grated Parmesan and salt to taste. Toss with hot cooked pasta. Serve immediately. Will serve about 4

Corned beef with vegetables

1 corned beef, about 3 to 4 pounds
8 small red potatoes
4 medium carrots, cut into 2-inch pieces
1 small onion, chopped
4 ribs celery, cut into 2-inch pieces
1/2 pound fresh green beans
4 ears of fresh corn, cut in half
1 head of cabbage, cut into large chunks

Put the corned beef and its seasoning packet in a Dutch oven. Cover with water and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat, cover and simmer about 2 hours. Add the potatoes, carrots, onion and celery and return to a boil. Reduce heat, cover, and simmer another 20 minutes. Add the cabbage, green beans and corn. Simmer another 15-20 minutes. Also cook some rolls to go with it…very good.

Boxty
8 oz/ 250 g/ 1 cup raw potato
8 oz/ 250 g/ 1 cup mashed potato
8 oz/ 250 g/ 2 cups plain flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
large knob of butter, melted
about 1/4 pt/ 125 ml/ 1/2 cup milk

Grate the raw potatoes into a bowl. Turn out onto a cloth and wring, catching the liquid. This will separate into a clear fluid with starch at the bottom. Pour off the fluid and scrape out the starch and mix with the grated and mashed potatoes. Sieve the dry ingredients and mix in along with the melted butter. Add a little milk if necessary to make a pliable dough. Knead lightly on a floured surface. Divide into four and form large, flat cakes. Mark each into quarters but do not cut right through, and bake on a griddle or in a heavy pan. You may also add more milk and an egg to make a batter which can be fried in bacon fat like drop scones.

Irish coffee cake
4 ounces Butter -- at room temperature
4 ounces Granulated sugar
2 Eggs
4 ounces Self-raising flour
2 tablespoons Coffee essence
IRISH COFFEE SYRUP
150 milliliters Strong black coffee
4 ouncesSugar (for coffee syrup)
4 tablespoons Irish whiskey
ICING
150 milliliters Heavy whipping cream
Confectioners' sugar to taste
1 tablespoon Whiskey -- or to taste Chopped nuts

I think that is enough for now…I hope you try them and like them.
If you want I may add some more in the future.

Grease and flour an 8-inch cake pan (preferably a springform cheesecake pan). Preheat oven to 350F. Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy, then beat in the eggs, adding a little flour and beating well after each addition. Stir in the coffee essence, and mix thoroughly. Turn the mixture into the prepared pan, and bake for 35-40 minutes until springy to the touch. Turn out and cool on a wire rack. . To make the Irish coffee syrup, put the coffee and sugar into a small pan and bring up to the boil, stirring to dissolve the sugar. Then boil for 1 minute. Remove from heat and add the whiskey. . Wash and dry the pan the cake was baked in, and return the cooled cake to it: then pour the hot coffee syrup all over it. Leave in a cool place for several hours, then turn out. Whip the cream until it's thick, sweeten slightly with confectioners' sugar, and add whiskey to taste. Spread the cake with the whipped cream and chill for an hour before sprinkling with chopped nuts or grated chocolate.

St. Patrick’s day has spread throughout most of the world (wherever there are Irish) and those who are not celebrate along with them in making charities, religious services and help promote the culture of being Irish…the food is good too.
Wink

Try some...you may like it.

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 4:20 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Stuckinahs

Irish stew

How about Irish stew? My mother made the best Irish stew...my very favorite meal. I make pretty good stew, but it can't touch my mother's. Any hints?

Post Sat Jun 24, 2006 6:13 am 
Eiregirl

Stuckinahs,

There are many different recipes for Irish Stew...
How did you mother prepare it?
Do you know the ingredients or some of the ingredients?
Did she use beef or mutton?
Did she bake it , pressure cook it or cook it in pot on the stove or a combination of those?

There are probably as many ways to make Irish Stew as there are people in Ireland.

I will post one of a couple that I enjoy and may post a couple of more sometime.

Happy eating LOL
Eiregirl

Post Sun Jun 25, 2006 6:14 am 
 View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website  Reply with quote  
Stuckinahs

Hi Eiregirl...thanks for the response.

My mother cooked two types of stew actually...one had tomato in it, and the other one didn't. She cooked both in a pot on the stove and used beef in both. Lots of vegetables, but of course more potatoes than anything else. She used to cook whole onions in the stew with tomatos in it, and we'd fight to see who got the most. Gosh, I miss that stuff.

My tastes good, but not as good as Mother's.

Post Thu Jun 29, 2006 2:01 am 

Jump to:  

Last Thread | Next Thread  >

Forum Rules: